Trouble with Hardware Effects in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ilsamiles

31 Oct 2023

I've run into some difficulties while trying to integrate hardware effects into my Reason setup. I'd appreciate any insights or troubleshooting tips you might have. I'm struggling to establish a stable connection between my hardware effects unit and Reason. Are there any specific settings or configurations I should be aware of within Reason to ensure a smooth connection?

I've noticed a noticeable latency when using my hardware effects, and sometimes it seems out of sync with the rest of my project. How can I address these timing issues and achieve better synchronization?

I'm unsure about the correct way to route audio through my hardware effects unit in Reason. Are there any common pitfalls or best practices I should be aware of?

Could the issue be related to the specific version 12.6.2 of Reason I'm using? Are there known compatibility issues with certain versions of Reason and particular hardware effects units?

I greatly appreciate any assistance or advice you can offer. Your expertise will undoubtedly help me overcome this hurdle and get back to creating music.

Thank you in advance for your time and support!

Ottostrom

31 Oct 2023

I'm sure there are people here who could help you with this but as with all troubleshooting you really need to give some more specific information about how you're doing things now.
Since you're only mentioning hardware effects I'm assuming that you're sending audio from Reason through them and then back into Reason, is this the case? What is your current setup for achieving this?

selig
RE Developer

31 Oct 2023

You will need to start by measuring the round trip latency and then attempting to compensate for it in Recording Latency Compensation section of Audio Prefs. You basically just send a short sound like a closed high hat or similar through your external “loop” and record it back to a new track, then measure the difference (in ms) on screen using the time display. Then adjust the settings in Audio Prefs until you line things up. Note this process can never be relied upon to be sample accurate, so you wouldn’t want to send just one channel from a multi-microphone setup like a drum kit through this loop if possible.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information