unwanted thumps and thuds in exported songs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
vrbi

29 Oct 2023

hello,

please, can someone explain to me why Reason12 always makes echoed thumps na thuds and different hits at the beginning of my exports? (and also after the song is exported?)
doesn't matter if I export loop/song/wav/aiff/mp3 - it always does something that sounds like reason is feeding something into the send effects, when there is nothing to be fed there - even when I leave few empty bars before the actual song starts to play.
happens only when exporting - never when playing the song in reason.
it's annoying and tedious, always remember to make room at the beginning of the song, where the echoes hit to be removed in another software.

what's the solution to this?
(there's a sample in the attachment to see)
Attachments
sog thump.mp3
(80.61 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Last edited by vrbi on 29 Oct 2023, edited 1 time in total.

JC1

29 Oct 2023

vrbi wrote:
29 Oct 2023
hello,

please, can someone explain to me why Reason12 always makes echoed thumps na thuds and different hits at the beginning of my exports?
Dude.....I just exported a track I'm working on into Dropbox so I can listen to it on my phone and heard something like that at a particular point and I've also got a little glitch type drop of entire audio for a millisecond at another point that I wasn't really too fussed about at this moment but i come on here and the very first new post I read was someone having sort of the same issue as me haha.
But yeh I don't really know what that is at this moment, it's very late where I am and I was going to look at it tomorrow after work.
Just so to tell you all that and then not be able to give you an answer :lol: sorry about that!

I think one of my issues is the exporting to WAV file I ran possibly didn't go entirely properly but I'll check that next time.
As for the thuds and and different hits, is it happening when you're playing directly from Reason or just on the exported file?
What have you got going on the track?
Also does it happen with every track you do, or just that one?

Someone should be here soon that will probably know what's going on that can help you with it anyway. I'm a bit of a noob myself and jagging my way through it if I'm honest so I'll probably be more annoying than helpful lol.

J ✌️😁
ESP Edwards | VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH | TC Electronic | RODE | KORG | Reason 8 :reason: |

vrbi

29 Oct 2023

JC1 wrote:
29 Oct 2023
vrbi wrote:
29 Oct 2023
hello,

please, can someone explain to me why Reason12 always makes echoed thumps na thuds and different hits at the beginning of my exports?

As for the thuds and and different hits, is it happening when you're playing directly from Reason or just on the exported file?
What have you got going on the track?
Also does it happen with every track you do, or just that one?

happens only on exports - never when playing song in reason, it's clean.
most of the exports behave like this, sincerely I don't remember a track being exported without a glitch.

first bump happens at the start of the song (and is included in the exported wav), and then another echoed bump is heard when reason finished the export - thus not going into the exported wav, it's just heard in reason itself.
but when played normally - of course, there's nothing like this, song plays clean.

only thing that could cause "echo" might be RV7000 used as send effect on the master bus - but again, in the song it's not doing this - it has different parameters, just adding little bit of roomy recerb, not echo - like when your guitar suddenly drops on the floor or a cabinet.
or when just unplug cable from your guitar without pulling the slider on the mix all the way down.

JC1

29 Oct 2023

Hmm yes yes.... I think I may have encountered that exact problem once before but not too sure.
Mute or disconnect the reverb and export it again to confirm if it is that.
ESP Edwards | VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH | TC Electronic | RODE | KORG | Reason 8 :reason: |

Rising Night Wave

29 Oct 2023

try lowering the export resolution of khzs. not bits.

ps: i have serious problems with exporting music using Polar RE. it always produces glitches at 192khz. if i lower the resolution to 96khz it's okey.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

JC1

30 Oct 2023

Rising Night Wave wrote:
29 Oct 2023
try lowering the export resolution of khzs. not bits.

ps: i have serious problems with exporting music using Polar RE. it always produces glitches at 192khz. if i lower the resolution to 96khz it's okey.
....just on your SoundCloud bio alone, I now follow.....

Ottostrom

30 Oct 2023

vrbi wrote:
29 Oct 2023
only thing that could cause "echo" might be RV7000 used as send effect on the master bus
How did you set this up? Since you can't send the master itself to a traditional send (because that is where they are summed up) this would require manual routing using a mixer or something?
Or do you just mean that you're using a RV7000 as a send for other channels?
Last edited by Ottostrom on 30 Oct 2023, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

30 Oct 2023

I think you’re going to have to give more information and describe anything you’ve done so far to test. Did you try removing the reverb and exporting (you only need to export the first few bars). Did you try exporting at different sample rates (you didn’t list any specs such as sample rate etc). Do you have any blank space at the top of the track? Are you exporting song or loop or bouncing (which command/settings did you use to export?). What plugins are on your master channel (or after)?

I would try basic troubleshooting techniques to try to identify the issue, which may turn out to be a specific plugin so should be easy to test.
Selig Audio, LLC

vrbi

18 Nov 2023

all right,
this was bit tedious - tried to do all above mentioned - different output rates, resolutions, bits and bats so it took sweet time to finish all the testing and overall result seems to be - the culprit was: Ample Sound VSTs :(
As it was causing plate-like echoes I wrongly suspected the reverb section in send FX chain but defitnitely this is rendered when any Ample Sound VST is in the rack present, doesn't have to be in timeline - so no MIDI note triggers this, just the plugin itself.

Still don't know yet how to avoid it but at least I know where to look now.

So warning for all of you out there who are using AmpleSound products - this might occur in Reason (and they work only under Rosetta on M1, no native support)
Can anyone confirm this behaviour on their copy of Reason if this is true for their AmpleSound plugins?

selig
RE Developer

18 Nov 2023

Easy, since you know exactly what causes the issue just bounce those instruments to audio first. If they produce the artifact you can trim it off the front of the file. But its likely it will “bounce in place” or “bounce mixer channels” just fine.

For now you could bounce any/all of these tracks in current songs to audio before mixing, and then launch without Rosetta mode to mix. Hopefully it’s this simple, and hopefully the plugins will update to native soon and best case scenario this bug will magically go away!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information