Sequencer updates on the horizon

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DaveyG

30 Oct 2023

selig wrote:
30 Oct 2023
DaveyG wrote:
30 Oct 2023
Bounce in place is not a poor man's freeze because there is no equivalent unfreeze. The whole point of track freeze is that you can unfreeze it to get back to the point before you froze it, complete with all relevant instruments and effects back in the rack. Freeze without unfreeze is just mixing/bouncing down to audio. Freeze allows you to make songs/tunes with more stuffz than your CPU can cope with but still be able to get back to a particular track to do more editing if you choose.

I'm not very optimistic that RS will implement it. They don't seem big on listening to requests/suggestions.
PLUS, there is no "freeze" for the devices no longer in use. Muting the MIDI track does help but you also want to totally unload the CPU for the feature to be 100% IMO. Mix "versions" could also help here as an alternative way to achieve the same thing, saving a version with the frozen tracks devices deleted. This is also where a more robust import/export feature would be helpful so you could pick and choose which version of which instrument you wanted to import back into your current 'master'. But alas, some basic sequencer workflow updates would also be appreciated…
Yeah these days, when CPU is not so much of a limitation, I also use track freeze as a sort of submix thing, where I fix chunks of the song to discourage me from fiddling endlessly with a part that is not that critical. Pads, in particular, are a weakness of mine when it comes to making too many tweaks. Mix versions would help achieve the same thing but I haven't got anything that does that (I don't think). Of course, one problem with unfreezing a track that contains the RRP is that it takes bleedin' ages to load up again, and sometimes even prompts me to login again even though the PC is authorised (this is R11). Even more incentive to not fiddle with a track once it's frozen...

sehov

31 Oct 2023

Some folder tracks inspiaration for RS:

antic604

31 Oct 2023

sehov wrote:
31 Oct 2023
Some folder tracks inspiaration for RS
I'd rather they took Studio One as inspiration, because it follows similar paradigm that Reason does, where sequencer track != mixer channel:

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

sehov

31 Oct 2023

yes, you are right

selig
RE Developer

31 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
31 Oct 2023
sehov wrote:
31 Oct 2023
Some folder tracks inspiaration for RS
I'd rather they took Studio One as inspiration, because it follows similar paradigm that Reason does, where sequencer track != mixer channel:

I’d be happy if it included a SPILL function like LUNA and others, where you can essentially “solo” channels/tracks visually. As an example, if you hit SPILL on the drum bus, all other channels EXCEPT for the individual drum channels feeding the bus (plus the bus) are shown, the rest are hidden. Show/Hide for tracks would also be helpful even without the SPILL function.

Even simpler, which I’ve suggested in the past, is to just let us show/hide/ all channels feeding a bus, sort of the opposite of SPILL. This is close to folder tracks but with less control (and thus more likely to be the way Reason implements it, lol!). So basically you don’t create dedicated Folder Tracks, you use the already existing group/bus channels to do the same thing. One advantage is simplicity: you don’t have yet another track/channel in the sequencer and another track/channel type to choose from in the menu. Yes, it’s more limited than a fully functioning track folder feature, but it would go a long way to helping reduce clutter and better organize the larger projects in Reason. If you’re already making busses for sub groups of instruments in Reason, this would give you the ability to have the essential features of folder tracks without adding another device type for the rack/sequencer/mixer. All that would be needed to be added to the UI is a button on all Bus Channels, and for those channels to automatically appear in the Sequencer.

Ultimately I wish Reason organized by instrument, such that any “instrument” could consist of any number of tracks/channels but would all be “contained” to appear as “one”. Further, even for simple tracks like a lead vocal, EVERYTHING related to the vocal would be on one track/channel: audio, MIDI (for vocoding or tuning), AND automation would ALL be in a track/channel named “Vocal”. As it is now if you automate levels for a MIDI track the automation doesn’t appear superimposed over the MIDI track - it appears in a SEPARATE track which overly complicates things IMO. And if you want to combine MIDI and audio (using a vocoder is one obvious example) in the same “instrument” you’ll end up needing multiple tracks where lanes would do just as well if not better IMO.

My dream is that RS decides to SIMPLIFY things throughout Reason but especially in the Sequencer, where there are far too many clicks involved in even simple things. At the LEAST lets get a Smart Tool for editing and get rid of the tool selector and excess clicks required to accomplish basic editing tasks PLEASE!
Selig Audio, LLC

Marc64

31 Oct 2023

I wish for more color themes, pref. customizable.

tarsiidea

31 Oct 2023

My main request relating to track freeze is to add an 'On/Off' button to all devices (instruments, effects, players & utilities) same as the VST container has. This wouldn't require a total redesign of how tracks are handled and connected to devices, and would allow me to save CPU when I want to. So hopefully it's a simpler to implement solution??

I imagine a proper track freeze is a large endeavour for RS to implement because of CV of a device in one track can be used in another track, and other similar interconnectivity of devices in a reason project. However, I feel that bounce in place would be sufficient if devices could be fully disabled so they don't use CPU anymore if I don't want them to.

Also, the On/Bypass/Off button on the combinator and effects isn't a solution, as it doesn't disable CPU use, only audio pass through. I frequently bounce in place to save CPU (I mostly use Reason on a laptop while travelling) and unfortunately this doesn't reduce CPU for most devices in the rack. It helps a bit, but some devices will still use a lot of CPU regardless of what Enabled state they are in.

dvdrtldg

31 Oct 2023

Marc64 wrote:
31 Oct 2023
I wish for more color themes, pref. customizable.
Yeah I could use that. It's not a huge deal but I do run out of colours pretty quickly

Heigen5

01 Nov 2023

I wish we could load .png pics for the clips, so you could have the clips looking like Electric Guitar, Sax or Drumset etc. I think the size should be as big as needed and Reason would downscale it down depending of the zoom levels.

bxbrkrz

01 Nov 2023

Lots of great improvements suggested here.
I feel old, reading them over and over throughout the last decade.
Keep up the faith Padawans!
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

sehov

01 Nov 2023

Do you think if they had implemented all the workflow ideas that reason would be on a level of awareness with e.g. Ableton or Cubase? Everytime I ask people if they know Reason they say "yes, but I dont use reason " or " I don't know anybody who uses reason". They nearly ALL use Ableton. What makes this Ableton so popular? The clip launch and looping and workflow stuff? All their devices? Thei interface?

It sometimes feels terrible to be so attached to Reason, because you feel they just don't care since years about our workflow wishes.

joeyluck

01 Nov 2023

Outside of here, I don't know many people personally that use Ableton, Bitwig, FL Studio, etc. Most people I know seem to be on Logic or Pro Tools. I actually know more people who use Reason than Ableton. I guess it just depends.

DaveyG

01 Nov 2023

sehov wrote:
01 Nov 2023
Do you think if they had implemented all the workflow ideas that reason would be on a level of awareness with e.g. Ableton or Cubase? Everytime I ask people if they know Reason they say "yes, but I dont use reason " or " I don't know anybody who uses reason". They nearly ALL use Ableton. What makes this Ableton so popular? The clip launch and looping and workflow stuff? All their devices? Thei interface?

It sometimes feels terrible to be so attached to Reason, because you feel they just don't care since years about our workflow wishes.
Yep, the clip launching and looping and tempo matching. Way back then, Ableton introduced the concept of dropping a bunch of midi and audio snippets into columns and then playing them all in sync, even if they were different lengths, and switching them in and out without glitching or artefacts. These days that seems mundane but back then it felt like witchcraft. In the meantime, Propellerhead were too inward-looking to embrace audio recording and VSTs and just a few weeks ago the CEO stated that he doesn't think Reason competes with DAWs.

I read a lot of music press, particularly interviews, and Reason is rarely mentioned by artists and when it is mentioned it is usually in the context of "I started out with Reason then a friend showed me Ableton and I haven't looked back since". I think these days if someone turned up at teenage music club with Reason they'd probably be sitting on their own.

Reason was a revelation when it launched but it has not kept up with the times and, although it's probably too late to catch up, they could still throw us a few crumbs and pilfer a few ideas from the other DAWs. I just don't think they want to. Reason is the rotary engine of the DAW world. :-)

sehov

01 Nov 2023

Mhh, ohh that sounds not so good. My good "horizon" feeling has decreased somehow.

Wouldn't it make sense that the regular customers have the feeling that their software wishes are taken seriously to a large extent and the product is adapted to a large extent according to the wishes of the loyal community? So at least with such long-standing, basic workflow things, this would be very meaningful from a marketing point of view, or is my view wrong and from yesterday? Maybe I have no clue about todays customer centered software design approach of a product?

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2023

DaveyG wrote:
01 Nov 2023

Yep, the clip launching and looping and tempo matching. Way back then, Ableton introduced the concept of dropping a bunch of midi and audio snippets into columns and then playing them all in sync, even if they were different lengths, and switching them in and out without glitching or artefacts. These days that seems mundane but back then it felt like witchcraft. In the meantime, Propellerhead were too inward-looking to embrace audio recording and VSTs and just a few weeks ago the CEO stated that he doesn't think Reason competes with DAWs.
Muzys came out about the same time but the rights to its code was bought out with the developer having to sign an NDA

Stamatz

02 Nov 2023

Finally got the Sequencer update I always wanted. I purchased Bitwig 5.0 cross-grade...lol
$229.00 and came with a free AUD plugin wiorth $149.00. If yo ulook at it this was, it cost me only $80.00.
How can you really go wrong. My Launchpad Pro MK3 with DrivenbyMoss codec has never been happier!
Still be using R12 as a plug-in though as it has a special place in my heart.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

antic604

02 Nov 2023

Stamatz wrote:
02 Nov 2023
Finally got the Sequencer update I always wanted. I purchased Bitwig 5.0 cross-grade...lol
$229.00 and came with a free AUD plugin wiorth $149.00. If yo ulook at it this was, it cost me only $80.00.
How can you really go wrong. My Launchpad Pro MK3 with DrivenbyMoss codec has never been happier!
Still be using R12 as a plug-in though as it has a special place in my heart.
Serious question - as a Bitwig user, why would you say its sequencer is better than Reason's?! Bitwig doesn't have automation clips, no pitch editing, no pattern tracks, no blocks mode, etc. If anything, they're on par for me (as Bitwig user from 2018), only they're missing different things :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

sehov

02 Nov 2023

REASON STUDIOS just update this sequencer pls, can't you see everybody want's it? People even move to other DAW's and talk about it in front of everybody! How obvious do you want it to be?

:o :o :o !
Last edited by sehov on 02 Nov 2023, edited 2 times in total.

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Nov 2023

antic604 wrote:
02 Nov 2023
Serious question - as a Bitwig user, why would you say its sequencer is better than Reason's?! Bitwig doesn't have automation clips, no pitch editing, no pattern tracks, no blocks mode, etc. If anything, they're on par for me (as Bitwig user from 2018), only they're missing different things :)
Things I really like about the Bitwig sequencer: Being able to run the clip launcher and the linear timeline at the same time with different tracks being controlled by either. Per note expressions (pitch, timbre, chance, pressure) and using those as modulations in synths that support it. Free running clip automations. I do miss the ability to have multiple midi lanes target one device, but I work around that with a group and the track I/O routing. I also miss the player "send to track" feature, which forces me to print generated midi in real-time.

gullum

02 Nov 2023

sehov wrote:
01 Nov 2023
Mhh, ohh that sounds not so good. My good "horizon" feeling has decreased somehow.

Wouldn't it make sense that the regular customers have the feeling that their software wishes are taken seriously to a large extent and the product is adapted to a large extent according to the wishes of the loyal community? So at least with such long-standing, basic workflow things, this would be very meaningful from a marketing point of view, or is my view wrong and from yesterday? Maybe I have no clue about todays customer centered software design approach of a product?
There are as many different wishes as there are loyal customers so it's impossible to get it all and make everyone happy, they however tend to make many loyal customer somewhat happy with new futures they didn't know we wanted until we tried it.

Stamatz

02 Nov 2023

Can't say I'm a Bitwig user as I just got it and trying to RTM so I understand how everythign works.
I didn't say it was better than Reason's sequencer, all I said was I got the sequencer upgrade I wanted.
Namely running clips with my Lanchpad Pro MK3 and unfortunatelky device support in Reason is so far behind everyone else.
In my opinion software needs to keep up with newly introduced harware otherwise people who use new hardware will just use the software which best supports it.
Reason doesn't really need to support a Launchpad as it has no clip launcher/sequencer timeline thingy but wish it did but think it wiill never come to fruition so I moved on.
Hoping one day I'm proven 100% wrong.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

joeyluck

02 Nov 2023

I've been using Reason since ver 1, to my recollection, aside from R9 which added Pitch Edit/Audio to MIDI and R7 which added Slice Edit/Audio Quantize/Bounce to REX loop, R11 was probably one of the bigger updates to the sequencer in terms of workflow.
  • automation curves
  • audio clip crossfade
  • absolute snap
  • improved zoom with individual track height
  • mute individual MIDI notes
  • multiple note pencil tool
  • key visualization
  • shortcut for moving notes up/down octave
  • hold shift to draw automation point on existing line
  • Shift+doubleclick on note selects that note + all following notes until end of clip
I know some of those shortcut things are smaller, but worth mentioning in case anybody forgot. I'm hoping as well for some new sequencer features, mostly MPE support, but mostly the less fancy stuff like track folders and markers. Maybe even some polishing of existing features, like being able to have curves on audio clip fades?

And aside from that, I'd like to be surprised. Pitch Edit was a surprise for me and something I didn't know I wanted in Reason or that could be in the works. My mind was blown. I wasn't looking at other DAWs and their pitch correction options in the sequencer, because many didn't have that and still don't have that.

I also have always thought that if Reason moved the tools from the tool window into an extended toolbar in the Sequencer, many users would see them like new features, and others who have known about them, would maybe use them more often. There's actually some really useful tools there.

• Information