Do you still use the SSL mixer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FrankJaeger

12 Oct 2023

What I mean is do you still use it in its entirety to mix a song?
With me, for instance, I notice that I only use the send fx section for reverb and delays (or any effect I want to apply to more than one track), and handle everything else (eq, compression, creative fx) in the insert section. I almost never touch the channel strip compressor anymore and since I finally have the GQ-7, the ssl eq seems obsolete.

What about you guys?
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

stillifegaijin

12 Oct 2023

Yes. Every song. I love the mixer.

huggermugger

12 Oct 2023

Minimally. Volume, pan, width, sometimes sends, not much else. Things like EQ and dynamics go right into the signal path of the device. I like a more modular approach.

tomusurp

13 Oct 2023

Yes I use every part of the SSL. It’s just insanely effective for workflow. Only thing I wish is that the spectrum eq had more db slopes in the LP and HP filters. And if it also had dynamic eq function on top of that would be godly, but for those times TDR Nova does the job well
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

antic604

13 Oct 2023

Yes! Together with Rack and Sequencer, Main Mixer is integral part of makes Reason ...Reason :)

When I need filtering, EQ or compression / gate, I'll typically reach for the Main Mixer first and only if it's not suitable / not enough for the job, I'll use something else. In principle, I seem to use Main Mixer's EQ for broad strokes, musical tone shaping & mixing; and in-rack EQs for surgical sound design.

Obviously gain section, pan/width and sends I use all the time, too.

I really miss Inserts section from R6-11 though! It was a very unfortunate (and IMO completely avoidable) decision for Reason to cut it out, because it gave us ability to control parameters of many tracks from one & the same place. Probably not relevant to many, but for "laptop peasants" like me it cut the work & confusion tremendously :(
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Ottostrom

13 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
When I need filtering, EQ or compression / gate, I'll typically reach for the Main Mixer first and only if it's not suitable / not enough for the job, I'll use something else. In principle, I seem to use Main Mixer's EQ for broad strokes, musical tone shaping & mixing; and in-rack EQs for surgical sound design.
This is how I use it as well! Switching the order so the EQ is last in the chain and then using it for broader final adjustments when balancing the mix.

miyaru

13 Oct 2023

Yes, I use the SSL mixer everytime I mix in Reason. In a blink of the eye I see what is going on, and it keeps setups simple and tidy……
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

luckygreen

13 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
I really miss Inserts section from R6-11 though! It was a very unfortunate (and IMO completely avoidable) decision for Reason to cut it out, because it gave us ability to control parameters of many tracks from one & the same place. Probably not relevant to many, but for "laptop peasants" like me it cut the work & confusion tremendously :(
True. Strange decision to cut that feature out. If they wanted to make the Reason 12 mixer less cluttered, why not make it optional? Feels like a step backwards.
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

antic604

13 Oct 2023

luckygreen wrote:
13 Oct 2023
antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
True. Strange decision to cut that feature out. If they wanted to make the Reason 12 mixer less cluttered, why not make it optional? Feels like a step backwards.
That wasn't the reason they cut it out.

Channel insert slots were for all intents & purposes Combinators, with the default 4 knobs + 4 buttons combo & those controls were directly copied in the Mixer. In v12, where that was no longer the case and you can put multiple Combinators in insert slot, that direct connection was lost.

What I'd do if I was a developer, I'd keep that Inserts section in the Main Mixer and allow the users to map whatever controls in the Channel to be mapped to 4 knobs + 4 buttons, otherwise they'd be inactive / grayed out.

I think they've run out of time and simply cut it out.
Music tech enthusiast.

crimsonwarlock

13 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
I really miss Inserts section from R6-11 though! It was a very unfortunate (and IMO completely avoidable) decision for Reason to cut it out...
luckygreen wrote:
13 Oct 2023
This has been explained by RS when they introduced combinator 2.

The 'old' insert section was basically an integrated combinator (hence the four knobs and four buttons, like the old combinator). With the introduction of the new combinator 2, they also implemented the insert section being capable of loading combinators (which wasn't possible before). And because you cannot load combinators inside combinators, the insert section lost the integrated combinator functionality. From an implementation perspective, this makes perfect sense.

I also miss the old insert section, but if I had to choose between that and the option to load combinators into the insert section, my vote would be for the new setting. I have loads of combinators that are specifically for mixing duties.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

antic604

13 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Oct 2023
I know.

And I gave a potential way to circumvent this right above your post :)

We could've had the cake and eat it too.
Music tech enthusiast.

crimsonwarlock

13 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Oct 2023
I know. And I gave a potential way to circumvent this right above your post :)
You beat me to the explanation while I was typing mine :puf_smile:

Your potential way to circumvent is based on the idea that such choices are technically simple. They never are :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

crimsonwarlock

13 Oct 2023

To answer the question of this topic, a look at my studio says it all :puf_bigsmile:

-------

antic604

13 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Oct 2023
Your potential way to circumvent is based on the idea that such choices are technically simple. They never are :puf_wink:
I'm not saying it's simple, but the tech is already sort of there, i.e. Combi v2 can map to any parameter in contained devices. By the same token Main Mixer's insert section could be granted access to any parameter of devices sitting on a channel - native Reason devices, REs, parameters exposed from VSTs to Combinators.

I mean they could still do it, if they wanted.

I mean the Main Mixer could use some more love - theme support, adjustable filter slopes, different EQ & compressor styles (SSL, Neve, API, etc. and VCA, FET, Optical, Tube, etc.), ability to pin the Mixer to the side of the screen (for laptop peasants like myself)...
Music tech enthusiast.

antic604

13 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Oct 2023
To answer the question of this topic, a look at my studio says it all :puf_bigsmile:

For all we know you've Photoshopped that photo and in actuality there's Netflix on that top screen :P
Music tech enthusiast.

crimsonwarlock

13 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
For all we know you've Photoshopped that photo and in actuality there's Netflix on that top screen :P
That top screen is, in fact, a 4K TV screen, so indeed I do also watch Netflix on it sometimes :lol:

No need to photoshop anything though, it is also connected to my DAW :thumbup:
-------

FrankJaeger

13 Oct 2023

tomusurp wrote:
13 Oct 2023
Yes I use every part of the SSL. It’s just insanely effective for workflow. Only thing I wish is that the spectrum eq had more db slopes in the LP and HP filters. And if it also had dynamic eq function on top of that would be godly, but for those times TDR Nova does the job well
I STRONGLY agree about the poles for the HP/LP filters. Being able to adjust the drop-off would be highly appreciated. I also like how fast you can switch between instruments with the drop down menu on the eq. The GQ7 still takes the win for me though because of its feature set.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

selig
RE Developer

13 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Oct 2023

You have what has to be my second favorite Reason based music production studio!!!
Selig Audio, LLC

FrankJaeger

13 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Oct 2023

That's a sweet setup you've got there.. Mine is considerably more humble so I'm a little green with envy. :lol:
Midniite Music

DaveyG

13 Oct 2023

I no longer mix in Reason. Reasons is a plugin. I render everything to audio and mix in Studio One, mostly with built-ins and a bit of FabFilter.

crimsonwarlock

13 Oct 2023

selig wrote:
13 Oct 2023
You have what has to be my second favorite Reason based music production studio!!!
Thanks Giles, yours is also pretty sweet :thumbup:
FrankJaeger wrote:
13 Oct 2023
That's a sweet setup you've got there.. Mine is considerably more humble so I'm a little green with envy. :lol:
And it took me just 40 years to get to this :puf_bigsmile:
-------

luckygreen

14 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Oct 2023
The 'old' insert section was basically an integrated combinator (hence the four knobs and four buttons, like the old combinator). With the introduction of the new combinator 2, they also implemented the insert section being capable of loading combinators (which wasn't possible before). And because you cannot load combinators inside combinators, the insert section lost the integrated combinator functionality. From an implementation perspective, this makes perfect sense...
Got it.
antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
... What I'd do if I was a developer, I'd keep that Inserts section in the Main Mixer and allow the users to map whatever controls in the Channel to be mapped to 4 knobs + 4 buttons, otherwise they'd be inactive / grayed out. ..
Yes!
crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Oct 2023
...Your potential way to circumvent is based on the idea that such choices are technically simple. They never are :puf_wink:
So they probably weighted up cost (time to develop and test) and benefit (how many users would use a feature like the one antic604 explained) and came up with doing it like we have it now with Reason 12.

So I can see why it is what it is, but still, I would favor a better solution.
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

crimsonwarlock

14 Oct 2023

luckygreen wrote:
14 Oct 2023
So they probably weighted up cost (time to develop and test) and benefit...
It is more likely they weighted up available resources (RS is a rather small outfit, developer-wise) against the backlog of feature requests, the requests for new instruments and FX, and the ongoing effort of making 12 even better than it already is.

As I said, the 'old' insert section had features I liked, but never used at a level of absolute need. The possibility to load combinators in the new setup, however, has become a pretty important part of my workflow. Now, that is a cost-benefit analysis; it cost us the insert section controls to get the benefit of the insertable combinators. That is a win in my book.
-------

luckygreen

14 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
14 Oct 2023
.. Now, that is a cost-benefit analysis; it cost us the insert section controls to get the benefit of the insertable combinators. That is a win in my book.
I see. My next step in getting more used to Reason and it's keyboard shortcuts and such is to do some small old-fashioned projects that involves only using the 14:2 und 6:2 anyway. :D

crimsonwarlock

14 Oct 2023

luckygreen wrote:
14 Oct 2023
My next step in getting more used to Reason and it's keyboard shortcuts and such is to do some small old-fashioned projects that involves only using the 14:2 und 6:2 anyway. :D
The way I work, I absolutely NEED the SSL mixer, as I make heavy use of buses and parallel processing channels. I have buses with parallel channels to create a certain sound, that together go into yet another bus for final level mixing.
-------

• Information