Do you still use the SSL mixer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FrankJaeger

14 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
14 Oct 2023

The way I work, I absolutely NEED the SSL mixer, as I make heavy use of buses and parallel processing channels. I have buses with parallel channels to create a certain sound, that together go into yet another bus for final level mixing.
Well, I guess I use the mixer more than I initially gaged because I bus together different sections of a song too and use parallel processing but mainly in the insert section.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

Whoopdee

14 Oct 2023

I. Enable TAB for the SSL rack, so we can finally see the routing from the mix channel to the main console.

II. Open up the console channels to the RE format to allow developers to make their own channel strips. (add half racks in there while we are at it.)

antic604

14 Oct 2023

Whoopdee wrote:
14 Oct 2023
I. Enable TAB for the SSL rack, so we can finally see the routing from the mix channel to the main console.

II. Open up the console channels to the RE format to allow developers to make their own channel strips. (add half racks in there while we are at it.)
I'd rather see actual MIDI cables.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

crimsonwarlock

15 Oct 2023

Whoopdee wrote:
14 Oct 2023
Enable TAB for the SSL rack, so we can finally see the routing from the mix channel to the main console.
The mixer channel panels in the rack are basically the "back side" of the mixer channels.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

jklok

15 Oct 2023

It's hard not to use it because everything goes through it and it sounds great even without adjustments. Personally I turn these on often, the Hi and Lo pass section makes it easy to balance a mix so they are always on for me. And the Insert Pre and Dyn Post EQ are also constantly switched on. The compressor has a good bite and the sidechain is another useful feature when balancing the mix. I usually turn on the fast switch and Ratio on full and adjust threshold fairly soft. I use the main EQ less these days as some of the REs are just so smooth and also have the option to add dynamic EQ. I split Aux 1-4 on FX going back into their own mix channels and group. And 5-8 to Side Chain 4 pre groups to make it easier to experiment with the final mix. Normally the perc consists of sidechain, with then bass, pads and effects, this just makes it easier to improve the overall balance. I combine that with the PUMP as well but use both less, just a single lamp blinking is my rule. And I always switch on the mastercomp to the master channel, along with a few VST favorites when the premix is done. So yeah, that's a very big part of what I personally like about Reason. Being of a generation that would only get to drool over pictures of an SSL in the 80's I must say I enjoy playing with it on a nice hi-res screen these days.

antic604

15 Oct 2023

jklok wrote:
15 Oct 2023
...I split Aux 1-4 on FX going back into their own mix channels and group...
Doesn't this introduce uncompensated latency?
Music tech enthusiast.

jklok

15 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
15 Oct 2023
jklok wrote:
15 Oct 2023
...I split Aux 1-4 on FX going back into their own mix channels and group...
Doesn't this introduce uncompensated latency?
I mainly use them for reverbs, delays not sure if that is noticeable. It's not something that would create phase problems as they are all turned 100% wet

fullforce

15 Oct 2023

luckygreen wrote:
13 Oct 2023
antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
I really miss Inserts section from R6-11 though! It was a very unfortunate (and IMO completely avoidable) decision for Reason to cut it out, because it gave us ability to control parameters of many tracks from one & the same place. Probably not relevant to many, but for "laptop peasants" like me it cut the work & confusion tremendously :(
True. Strange decision to cut that feature out. If they wanted to make the Reason 12 mixer less cluttered, why not make it optional? Feels like a step backwards.
Welcome to the stupid world of Reason Studios.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

jklok

15 Oct 2023

I agree that it is difficult to get used to some of the mixers new features. When you get used to something tactilely over many years, it becomes very annoying when you change it without having the option to switch between new and old. I'm getting used to having to double click on a channel to make sure it's not linked to other channel faders. I never felt the need to be able to use one fader to control another. It was nice to have the combinator buttons on the surface of the mixer but I don't miss it cause I always went to the rack to make changes anyway. However, with Reason, I've gotten used to the fact that some features are difficult to change because all the code has to be rebuilt from scratch. But I would still say that it is nice to be able to turn on multiple combiners on one mix channel now, and I am already using that feature all the time now. Thinking that working on a laptop is simply not optimal. Even a high resolution screen like the one I have now isn't as good as three screens with a separate mixer, rack and sequencer. So the user base that can afford this as well is probably also a lot of professionals who don't care about rental fees or High Sierra, Windows 7 and all that.

Ahornberg

16 Oct 2023

For me, the SSL mixer comes to life with the Softube Console 1 MIDI controller.
See viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7493177

crimsonwarlock

16 Oct 2023

jklok wrote:
15 Oct 2023
Even a high resolution screen like the one I have now isn't as good as three screens with a separate mixer, rack and sequencer. So the user base that can afford this as well is probably also a lot of professionals who don't care about rental fees or High Sierra, Windows 7 and all that.
You don't have to be a professional to run three separate screens. Most gamin rigs are way more costly then my DAW setup.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

mallan12aaa

16 Oct 2023

I really miss Inserts section from R6-11 though! It was a very unfortunate (and IMO completely avoidable) decision for Reason to cut it out, because it gave us ability to control parameters of many tracks from one & the same place. Probably not relevant to many, but for "laptop peasants" like me it cut the work & confusion tremendously

antic604

17 Oct 2023

mallan12aaa wrote:
16 Oct 2023
I really miss Inserts section from R6-11 though! It was a very unfortunate (and IMO completely avoidable) decision for Reason to cut it out, because it gave us ability to control parameters of many tracks from one & the same place. Probably not relevant to many, but for "laptop peasants" like me it cut the work & confusion tremendously
Hey, that's my line :shock: :lol:
Music tech enthusiast.

thomaseh

20 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Oct 2023
To answer the question of this topic, a look at my studio says it all :puf_bigsmile:

What a nice setup. Can't wait to have some place to do it similar. But with some more advanced Monitor Loudspeakers which is my passion ;-)

EnochLight

20 Oct 2023

thomaseh wrote:
20 Oct 2023
What a nice setup. Can't wait to have some place to do it similar. But with some more advanced Monitor Loudspeakers which is my passion ;-)
Welcome back, thomaseh. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MAJIKstudios

20 Oct 2023

I have been mixing more in the Rack during production… and then later I’ll mix on the board when I’m making more broad polish adjustments before a final mix.

This really became “the way” for me when I got setup with three screens, one of which mounted vertically for the Rack. Allows me to see my giant chains more easily.

selig
RE Developer

20 Oct 2023

mallan12aaa wrote:
16 Oct 2023
Welcome, Bot!
Selig Audio, LLC

robussc

21 Oct 2023

I love the SSL, life changing once I learned how to mix. (Ok still learning, but finally feel like I understand how to use it.)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

entropi

22 Oct 2023

yes, I use the SSL - the added functions are great. I like the over all nice look of it, but the size, layout and user experience of using it is just horrible. I guess I need a separate 6K display to enjoy it, on a laptop it's just ridiculous and having three different windows (+ the tool window!) just to handle reasons different functions are not ideal. (Ableton Live is stellar in this aspect, so much more flexible!)

I love the simplicity of editing midi in Reason and the rack and all the instruments are superb, the gargantuan SSL and the window mess really needs an overhaul, IMHO...

antic604

22 Oct 2023

entropi wrote:
22 Oct 2023
...(Ableton Live is stellar in this aspect, so much more flexible!)...
Stellar & flexible? Tell me, how do I view the mixer and arrangement at the same time on a laptop? And why it took them 23 years to add a shortcut to display piano roll / sample editor full screen?

With Reason, you can quickly jump between Mixer, Rack and Sequencer with F5-7 keys respectively, and if you really want, you can detach them, put each on a separate virtual screen (works on both Win and macOS) and move between them with 3-finger swipe. Oh, and with Mixer you can click on the dividers between sections to hide/show them, so that you only see what you need (and there's light "on" if something's active in given section).

It's far from perfect, but it works really well on laptop / one screen. Way better than FL, for example.
Music tech enthusiast.

jklok

22 Oct 2023

I'm also good with SSL and racks, except maybe make it possible to add your own skin to it to make it darker. But the sequencer needs an upgrade. I'm pretty sure the rental model won't be profitable. It would be better to think about integrating the hardware more deeply with the software and giving it away as a free basic version that would be similar to the R5 in a modern version. I would suggest forgetting about making money long term with any software alone, I don't think the rental model will catch on other than as a quick way to extract some money from a dedicated user base that was built up over decades.You may be wondering why companies like Roland, Korg, Akai, Casio, Yamaha and Sony seem to be able to keep a business running well for so long. I don't.

jam-s

23 Oct 2023

entropi wrote:
22 Oct 2023
yes, I use the SSL - the added functions are great. I like the over all nice look of it, but the size, layout and user experience of using it is just horrible. I guess I need a separate 6K display to enjoy it, on a laptop it's just ridiculous and having three different windows (+ the tool window!) just to handle reasons different functions are not ideal. (Ableton Live is stellar in this aspect, so much more flexible!)

I love the simplicity of editing midi in Reason and the rack and all the instruments are superb, the gargantuan SSL and the window mess really needs an overhaul, IMHO...
When forced to working on a single screen I think the F5, F6, F7, (and F8) shortcuts are essential to use.

• Information