Reason 12.7 Release Notes (Companion for All)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jaeproduced

27 Oct 2023

Creativemind wrote:
27 Oct 2023
Kilsane wrote:
09 Oct 2023
Now I'm curious to see a new roadmap, to know what we can still see happening in Reason 12 or possibly the announcement of a future Reason 13.
Personally I would like more news on future improvements to R12 than the announcement of an R13

Was thinking the same
This year is over there's nonething coming down the pipeline this year and if Reason 13 is happening it want be until April/May 2024...

Dionysus

28 Oct 2023

Confused about this change, and some advice is requested.

Someone wrote – new users start by downloading Companion, which in turn downloads Reason –

Does this mean the torrent will not work for downloading anymore? This might be a big problem for me because my internet service is limited to about 3 gigabytes per single download

and if install new Reason and this companion software, what happens to the rack extenders already in my computer, will they automatically connect to the companion or must I download them again, through the companion?

People are also talking about removing the codemeter software, which I don’t understand. Isn’t that the licence key tool?

Really don’t know what this companion app is supposed to be for. It looks like the business is putting their online shop into my personal computer. Is that what’s happening now?

buddard
RE Developer

28 Oct 2023

Dionysus wrote:
28 Oct 2023
Confused about this change, and some advice is requested.

Someone wrote – new users start by downloading Companion, which in turn downloads Reason –

Does this mean the torrent will not work for downloading anymore? This might be a big problem for me because my internet service is limited to about 3 gigabytes per single download
Torrents will continue to be offered in parallel as far as I know. For example, Reason 12.7 is available as a torrent here.
and if install new Reason and this companion software, what happens to the rack extenders already in my computer, will they automatically connect to the companion or must I download them again, through the companion?
Companion will see which REs you already have installed, so there's no need to download them again.
People are also talking about removing the codemeter software, which I don’t understand. Isn’t that the licence key tool?
The purpose of the codemeter software was to authorize offline use of Reason 6 - Reason 12.5.
For Reason 12.6 and later, we started using our own offline authorization system that doesn't require any third party software, so codemeter is no longer needed (unless you want to run older versions of Reason in parallel).
Really don’t know what this companion app is supposed to be for. It looks like the business is putting their online shop into my personal computer. Is that what’s happening now?
It's a replacement for the Authorizer, with better and easier handling of RE syncing/updates. It is not about putting the shop on your computer, as it will only show you the REs that you already have access to. :-)

I hope this helps!

Dionysus

29 Oct 2023

buddard wrote:
28 Oct 2023
I hope this helps!
Hello Buddard, thank you so much for the reply.

Very interesting to hear about the changes to licencing authentication. I just built a new computer for my creative work, and was wondering why I’m not required to login each time. In the past I have had a lot of trouble with the business about re-authorizing, and am so sick of the poor customer service around this, that I relied on logging in each time. It’s fantastic that the process is now retired.

Good news too, that the Authorizer is now Companion. Hopefully it will be more reliable. Although I will probably stick to version 12.6.2 since I only installed everything four weeks ago.

You speak as ‘we’ in your reply so I read that as you are one of the staff members ? To offer some feedback, it’s disappointing that I’ve never received emails about either of these new developments. This is something that should be communicated to license holders.

buddard
RE Developer

29 Oct 2023

Dionysus wrote:
29 Oct 2023
buddard wrote:
28 Oct 2023
I hope this helps!
Hello Buddard, thank you so much for the reply.

Very interesting to hear about the changes to licencing authentication. I just built a new computer for my creative work, and was wondering why I’m not required to login each time. In the past I have had a lot of trouble with the business about re-authorizing, and am so sick of the poor customer service around this, that I relied on logging in each time. It’s fantastic that the process is now retired.

Good news too, that the Authorizer is now Companion. Hopefully it will be more reliable. Although I will probably stick to version 12.6.2 since I only installed everything four weeks ago.

You speak as ‘we’ in your reply so I read that as you are one of the staff members ? To offer some feedback, it’s disappointing that I’ve never received emails about either of these new developments. This is something that should be communicated to license holders.
Yes, I work for Reason Studios, sorry, I should have clarified that in my response earlier.

There was an email sent out about the new authorization system when Reason 12.6 was released on June 1st, but only to customers who have agreed to receive email from Reason Studios. I don't know what your settings are, but you can check them here, near the bottom of the page.

If you have the email setting enabled but still haven't seen any emails from us it might be possible that they got caught in your spam filter? Did you receive the email about Reason 12.7 on October 9th?

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2023

buddard wrote:
29 Oct 2023
Yes, I work for Reason Studios, sorry, I should have clarified that in my response earlier.
Maybe the mods could change your "tag" to RS&RE Developer (and change the colour to red).

jam-s

26 Dec 2023

buddard wrote:
29 Oct 2023
There was an email sent out about the new authorization system when Reason 12.6 was released on June 1st, but only to customers who have agreed to receive email from Reason Studios. I don't know what your settings are, but you can check them here, near the bottom of the page.

If you have the email setting enabled but still haven't seen any emails from us it might be possible that they got caught in your spam filter? Did you receive the email about Reason 12.7 on October 9th?
Just as a suggestion: I'd like to have more detailed settings for the email communication, so I can opt in to important announcements like new version updates without accepting the marketing/promo spam.

• Information