Reason 12.7 Release Notes (Companion for All)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
michael.jaye

09 Oct 2023

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
09 Oct 2023
Hmm... I am sure I read all this last Friday or Saturday but then Sara's post here disappeared...

My favorite Python sketch, thank you! People don't realise how truly trippy and strange those guys could be!

npinero1

09 Oct 2023

Reason 12.7 seems to be working in Sonoma. I normally don’t update right away but I had to for a project at my day job.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

gbuck

09 Oct 2023

Will all the RE's I've gathered through the years still work and be available?

challism

09 Oct 2023

Companion is great. I'm happy RS have opened it up for the rest of the users of Reason 12 and beyond. I'd like to welcome those users to Companion! I'm sure you will agree, it's far better than Authorizer. I've really been enjoying the offline authorization, too. It's nice to be able to open Reason while I'm offline and have that activation good for 1 year at a time.
gbuck wrote:
09 Oct 2023
Will all the RE's I've gathered through the years still work and be available?
Yes
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Hazel

09 Oct 2023

What does this mean for previous version users. I stayed with 11, because I felt it ran rock solid for what I needed and I wasn't really sold on r12. I have a ton of re's, which I imagine need the authorizer program for updating, or if and when I need to do a reformat, or get a new computer. Should I be worried?

gbuck

09 Oct 2023

But a lot of RE's are no longer in the Reason store. How can they be available for companion?

Hazel

09 Oct 2023

gbuck wrote:
09 Oct 2023
But a lot of RE's are no longer in the Reason store. How can they be available for companion?
No kidding right? I use that old cakewalk re2a all the time....and I'm pretty sure that disappeared a while ago.

gbuck

09 Oct 2023

Hazel wrote:
09 Oct 2023
gbuck wrote:
09 Oct 2023
No kidding right? I use that old cakewalk re2a all the time....and I'm pretty sure that disappeared a while ago.
Yes I have that too.

joeyluck

09 Oct 2023

Hazel wrote:
09 Oct 2023
gbuck wrote:
09 Oct 2023
They are still available for download just the same as they have remained in accounts all these years. They are tied to your account.

joeyluck

09 Oct 2023

Hazel wrote:
09 Oct 2023
What does this mean for previous version users. I stayed with 11, because I felt it ran rock solid for what I needed and I wasn't really sold on r12. I have a ton of re's, which I imagine need the authorizer program for updating, or if and when I need to do a reformat, or get a new computer. Should I be worried?
Authorizer is no longer needed for Reason 12 users. Authorizer will no longer be used for Reason 12.7 and onwards. For users on previous versions of Reason, Authorizer will remain available and will still function to download REs from your account. I imagine Authorizer will no longer receive updates and will someday not work on newer operating systems. My guess is that when the day comes that Authorizer isn't supported on a new OS version, chances are that the older versions of Reason also won't be supported on that OS version.

antic604

10 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Oct 2023
antic604 wrote:
09 Oct 2023
With Companion, I can easily "tick" those REs I want to install and start the process
I don't see any option to 'tick' REs in companion.
Oh? I'm pretty sure it was there when I was trying R+ last year :(

Well, it's still easier to install and uninstall stuff than it was with Authorizer, but some "favorites list" or something would be useful.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

crimsonwarlock

10 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
10 Oct 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Oct 2023

I don't see any option to 'tick' REs in companion.
My guess is that the checkboxes are in the soundpacks part of companion. Us perpetuals don't see that part :puf_bigsmile:
antic604 wrote:
10 Oct 2023
Well, it's still easier to install and uninstall stuff than it was with Authorizer, but some "favorites list" or something would be useful.
Unifying companion for both Plus and perpetual means they can focus developments like that into just one management tool.:thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

tai

10 Oct 2023

Does the ignition key still work?

antic604

10 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Oct 2023
antic604 wrote:
10 Oct 2023

My guess is that the checkboxes are in the soundpacks part of companion. Us perpetuals don't see that part :puf_bigsmile:
Right, that's likely. I liked the soundpacks and will definitely consider R+ when I see the DAW back on the roadmap.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Reminiscence

10 Oct 2023

Does the Companion App always have to open when I open standalone? Doesn't seem to load with RRP.

I am probably missing something, but I don't like this Companion App loader thing...feels intrusive, through acting obscure...I want to have the option to load it or Authorizer, and not be forced to use this. There's not even the option to select none of the genres presented there without completing the whatever thing (onboarding). Sounds like work.

luckygreen

10 Oct 2023

Reminiscence wrote:
10 Oct 2023
Does the Companion App always have to open when I open standalone? Doesn't seem to load with RRP...
Go to Preferences > General > Reason Companion > turn off Open Companion on Startup
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

Reminiscence

10 Oct 2023

Thanks, you made my deja Vu...

crimsonwarlock

10 Oct 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Oct 2023
Anyone else seeing false positives for RE updates in companion? So far, I'm getting update messages for some LeNote and Turn2on REs when companion is open while Reason is not running.
Just to clear this up. The false positives were due to these REs not removing or overwriting their previous version on update, so for these REs there were actually two versions installed which confuses companion. So if you see this issue, check your RE folder for duplicate installed REs.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

hamsterfactor

10 Oct 2023

Cool. I just un- & reinstalled the troublesome LeNote RE and all was well. :-)
crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Oct 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Oct 2023
Anyone else seeing false positives for RE updates in companion? So far, I'm getting update messages for some LeNote and Turn2on REs when companion is open while Reason is not running.
Just to clear this up. The false positives were due to these REs not removing or overwriting their previous version on update, so for these REs there were actually two versions installed which confuses companion. So if you see this issue, check your RE folder for duplicate installed REs.
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

dvdrtldg

10 Oct 2023

Couple of questions from a 12.7 user:

1. Does this mean that when I get a new computer, I no longer have to deauthorise Reason on the old one and authorise it on the new one?

2. Is there any way to stop Companion automatically launching whenever I launch Reason?

buddard
RE Developer

10 Oct 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Oct 2023

1. Does this mean that when I get a new computer, I no longer have to deauthorise Reason on the old one and authorise it on the new one?
With the new authorization system you can authorize up to 3 computers for long term offline use (up to 1 year), and more for short time offline use (up to 40 days). If your old computer has been authorized for long term use and you no longer intend to run Reason on it, it's probably a good idea to remove the long term authorization from it (easily done in Preferences-->Account).
2. Is there any way to stop Companion automatically launching whenever I launch Reason?
See comment earlier in this thread, there is a setting in Preferences-->General.

kitekrazy

10 Oct 2023

I didn't realize I could filter out VST2,VT3, in the browser. So nice since the Reason browser says.........waaaaayyyyy to much stuff.

dvdrtldg

10 Oct 2023

buddard wrote:
10 Oct 2023
dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Oct 2023

With the new authorization system you can authorize up to 3 computers for long term offline use (up to 1 year), and more for short time offline use (up to 40 days). If your old computer has been authorized for long term use and you no longer intend to run Reason on it, it's probably a good idea to remove the long term authorization from it (easily done in Preferences-->Account).
See comment earlier in this thread, there is a setting in Preferences-->General.
Got it! thanks

Heigen5

11 Oct 2023

gbuck wrote:
09 Oct 2023
Mayby for those who own them, for backwards compatibility reasons.

turn2on
RE Developer

12 Oct 2023

May be somebody have interesting ideas for feature of Companion improvements?
I make topic for this.
viewtopic.php?f=6&p=650930#p650930
Who already tried and used Companion, may be have some ideas / suggestions?

• Information