What Reason version are you on? (POLL)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What Reason version are you on?

R +
14%
R 12
60%
R 11 (standard or suite version)
15%
R 10
4%
R 9
No votes
R 8
0%
R 7
0%
R 6
No votes
R 5
5%
R 4
0%
R 3
No votes
R 2
No votes
R 1
No votes

Total votes: 224
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2023

These sort of polls have been made before, even by me. But either way it's been a while. It's time for an update. :puf_smile:

What version of Reason are you currently on?

I'm gonna seperate between R12 and R+ in this poll just so we can see how many are subscribing currently.
Subscribing in the past doesn't count. It's what you have available now.
If you have several versions of Reason and use more than one, pick the latest most up to date version.
If you happen to both own a R12 perpetual license and also are a subscriber I guess you can pick both options.

Loque

01 Oct 2023

I voted for an <R12 too, because i keep this version for patch compatibility with Combinators when i create patches for devs which want to be preior-Combi2 compatible. Otherwise i already had uninstalled it.
Reason12, Win10

WaxTrax

01 Oct 2023

Those who voted for R5.......we all know why! :lol:

PhillipOrdonez

01 Oct 2023

😂

Rising Night Wave

02 Oct 2023

i voted for R+. when i do not have money for monthly or yearly subscription i am on R10.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Jackjackdaw

02 Oct 2023

I’m on R12. And mostly RRP now. The only things that would convince me to upgrade to R13 would be a mega new native reverb and RRP improvements.

Aosta

02 Oct 2023

WaxTrax wrote:
01 Oct 2023
:lol:

Tend the flame

dakta

02 Oct 2023

On R+, lol @ reason 5 - it's a bit touchy subject because I'll admit, rightly or wrongly that was me up until a few years ago.

Ownership (or at least investing a bit of coin in getting access to it) is a bit like buying a book, you've spent on it so you're invested so you might as well use it so owning a reason license does actually add somewhat to the experience even if its purely psychological (and thats ignoring the benefits to keeping it alive and kicking)

always said I'd get it all when i had the coin, never actually got there but R+ made it possible, and bugs and criticisims aside, what a different the jump between 5 and 12 is.

Neo

02 Oct 2023

Aosta wrote:
02 Oct 2023
WaxTrax wrote:
01 Oct 2023
:lol:

Speaking of R5: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7532641&p=650210#p650210
ReDrum.png
ReDrum.png (123.12 KiB) Viewed 13377 times
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

antic604

02 Oct 2023

R12, hope to hear about R13 soon :D
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2023

I found the thread/poll I made almost 2 years ago about the same topic in case someone wants to compare. :puf_smile:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7526219&hilit=reason+version+poll

Stamatz

02 Oct 2023

Reason 12, Reason 10 for the Rebirth Input device.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2023

Obviously this is just a small sample of the whole Reason user base, but I thought there would be a slightly higher percentage of R+ users. As I'm writing this, that group is at 13%. Not that I was worried about subscription only before, but I'm even less worried about after this poll.
I also didn't expect R5 users to be that many. :lol:

As long as R13 isn't a complete bugfest upon release I'll most likely upgrade from R11 to R13 shortly after it drops. I wonder what there plans are for it.

antic604

06 Oct 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Oct 2023
Obviously this is just a small sample of the whole Reason user base, but I thought there would be a slightly higher percentage of R+ users. As I'm writing this, that group is at 13%. Not that I was worried about subscription only before, but I'm even less worried about after this poll.
I'm pretty sure that the crowd here (or KvR, or to a lesser extent FB) is heavily skewed towards permanent licenses, because most people have been using it for ages & new users don't know about this forum or don't even care about participating.

Also, for new people Reason might just be a modular instrument/FX plugin they're running in other DAW, similar to Reaktor, Kontakt or VCV Rack, so they'd be more keen on getting the subscription instead.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
06 Oct 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Oct 2023
I'm pretty sure that the crowd here (or KvR, or to a lesser extent FB) is heavily skewed towards permanent licenses, because most people have been using it for ages & new users don't know about this forum or don't even care about participating.

Also, for new people Reason might just be a modular instrument/FX plugin they're running in other DAW, similar to Reaktor, Kontakt or VCV Rack, so they'd be more keen on getting the subscription instead.
Yeah that could be the case. It would be interesting to get the actual numbers on the total user base. I guess a poll like this at RT is better than nothing at least. It gives some sort of indication on what's happening even if it's not the full picture.

EnochLight

06 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
06 Oct 2023
You're not wrong. Internet "forums" are a vestige of the past that mostly old geezers like myself gravitate towards. Even FB attracts an "older" crowd. Most of Gen Z (and to a lesser degree Millennials) are on Tic Tock, Instagram, and other short-attention span social networking services. I don't think I've ever seen a poll here at Reasontalk or even KVR have more than a few dozen to a couple hundred of participants, when we know users of DAW (Reason or otherwise) are in the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2023

EnochLight wrote:
06 Oct 2023
antic604 wrote:
06 Oct 2023
You're not wrong. Internet "forums" are a vestige of the past that mostly old geezers like myself gravitate towards. Even FB attracts an "older" crowd. Most of Gen Z (and to a lesser degree Millennials) are on Tic Tock, Instagram, and other short-attention span social networking services. I don't think I've ever seen a poll here at Reasontalk or even KVR have more than a few dozen to a couple hundred of participants, when we know users of DAW (Reason or otherwise) are in the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands.
That may all be true. But judging from my own youtube watching over the years I haven't seen that many Reason users on the younger side. It seems other DAWs have had better success at that. Or maybe I've missed them all?

EnochLight

06 Oct 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Oct 2023
That may all be true. But judging from my own youtube watching over the years I haven't seen that many Reason users on the younger side. It seems other DAWs have had better success at that. Or maybe I've missed them all?
Reason has always skewed towards an older crowd. Most of Gen Z don't understand virtual cables and shy away from skeuomorphism. That said, I do believe that the introduction of RRP has allowed Reason to penetrate a wider audience. Gen Z can use their DAW of preference (which is almost always Ableton Live) yet still have access to the Reason rack. Starts out as a curiosity, but then I'd wager some get hooked.

#armchair_ceo_nonesense :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

crimsonwarlock

06 Oct 2023

joeyluck wrote:
06 Oct 2023
So not many left on R11? Almost as many on Reason 5.
I'm on 12, but still have 11 (suite) installed because... I didn't get to uninstalling it yet :lol: So I checked 11 as well.

I actually do fire it up occasionally to test for regressions in 12, though. So I might keep 11 around for a little bit longer.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

motuscott

06 Oct 2023

12 here in the pod, 10 on an older computer down at Motu's Basement of Regret.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2023

I'm surprised R+ has that many users.

I'm still on R10. I've been working in the MPC for a year in December and was working almost exclusively in Maschine for a year before that (I tend to record vocals in Reason).

I've been on R+ for a total of about a year now, but never really used it 🙈. It's a massive improvement, don't get me wrong, I've just been having fun with integrated controllers. It's the way forward.

If we're lucky, maybe Reason will be acquired by a worthy company. PreSonus is top of my list.

lorawayne

08 Oct 2023

I voted for R10, because It empowers me as a creator, offering a rich and inspiring environment to craft music that resonates with listeners :D:

jklok

08 Oct 2023

R12 is running quite well for me here. But still, guessing that an older rig with Reason 5 running into an analog desk and a few outboard effects would be a pretty decent workstation overall. And you'd not have to worry about It working in the morning when you turn it on.

• Information