MacOS Sonoma Compatibility

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

integerpoet

26 Sep 2023

Is this the first time compatibility with the ignition key has been disavowed?

I still have mine, but I haven't used it in years.

npinero1

28 Sep 2023

I wonder how long it will take to port over to Sonoma. I'm not in a rush for Reason but the other apps that I use outside of music creation are compelling
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

deeplink
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2023

integerpoet wrote:
26 Sep 2023
Is this the first time compatibility with the ignition key has been disavowed?

I still have mine, but I haven't used it in years.
No, it was taken off at the time of Monterey ~approx 2 years ago.

ref. https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -statement
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

jklok

28 Sep 2023

I have the ignition key working on an M1 with 12.5.1 and Ventura 13.2.1
I did have to update the software on the ignition key with codemeter.
Although running on Rosetta I can say that the M1 is still quite a powerhouse with this version.

MadGadget

28 Sep 2023

I too have the ignition key Running Reason 12.5.3d3 on an old iMac Pro (2017) with Ventura 13.5.2 and it all works perfectly.

Going to do a test upgrade to Sonoma and see if 12.5.3d3 still works, slightly concerned that the support say anything below 12.6.1 is not supported :(

kurtg

29 Sep 2023

Good to see that reasonstudios already prepared reason for this release. :thumbup:

MadGadget

29 Sep 2023

For anyone interested.

I've just updated my iMac Pro (2017 model) to macOS Sonoma 14.0 and Reason 12.5.3d5 works perfectly, along with all my RE's and VST's.

I did previously update codemeter and checking the virtual ignition key shows using the codemeter control centre app shows that it is activated. This is proven as Reason runs fine and does not need to login, it is using the codemeter perpetual license.

I've done this on a clone of my original disk which is still on Ventura.

If it continues to test ok, I will then upgrade the original disk to Sonoma at some point.

Just wondering where or why support said that only Reason 12.6.2 and later is compatible with Sonoma? perhaps on Apple silicon, as my iMac Pro is running an Intel XEON cpu..

npinero1

30 Sep 2023

MadGadget wrote:
29 Sep 2023
For anyone interested.

I've just updated my iMac Pro (2017 model) to macOS Sonoma 14.0 and Reason 12.5.3d5 works perfectly, along with all my RE's and VST's.

I did previously update codemeter and checking the virtual ignition key shows using the codemeter control centre app shows that it is activated. This is proven as Reason runs fine and does not need to login, it is using the codemeter perpetual license.

I've done this on a clone of my original disk which is still on Ventura.

If it continues to test ok, I will then upgrade the original disk to Sonoma at some point.

Just wondering where or why support said that only Reason 12.6.2 and later is compatible with Sonoma? perhaps on Apple silicon, as my iMac Pro is running an Intel XEON cpu..
Thank you for trying this out. Which Audio interface do you use?

MadGadget

30 Sep 2023

npinero1 wrote:
30 Sep 2023

Thank you for trying this out. Which Audio interface do you use?
I am just using the standard audio interface in the iMac Pro, 128 samples buffer, 1ms latency and the Max Audio Threads set to default, so it might be that other interfaces don't play well with Sonoma.

It is all working fine at present :) and I have 6 different external controllesr all working too (Akai, Korg, Alexis, Studiologic).

npinero1

30 Sep 2023

MadGadget wrote:
30 Sep 2023

I am just using the standard audio interface in the iMac Pro, 128 samples buffer, 1ms latency and the Max Audio Threads set to default, so it might be that other interfaces don't play well with Sonoma.

It is all working fine at present :) and I have 6 different external controllesr all working too (Akai, Korg, Alexis, Studiologic).
That is encouraging. Thank you

npinero1

04 Oct 2023

Anyone else switch over to Sonoma?

npinero1

09 Oct 2023

So far , FOR ME, I've had no problems on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro. after updating to Sonoma. I have over 500 plugins that Ive collected over 10+ years working in Reason, ProTools and Ableton Live.

I dont recommend this to anyone, but I had to update to Sonoma because I needed to get a project done for my day job. I will; be testing all the plugins but so far everything seems to be ok with my most used plugins and interface.

MadGadget

10 Oct 2023

I've switched over to using it full time on my old iMac Pro running Reason 12.5.3.d5 and it's working fine, including the old authoriser license (ignition key works too).

So far, all the Rack Extensions are working fine as are all the VSTs, Korg Complete set, Cherry Audio', Full Bucket Music, Arturia Collection, Ample Sound and a loads of other ones :)

Tested with a bunch of older tracks and newer stuff and all is well :thumbup:

npinero1

13 Oct 2023

It seems that Apple Silicon has better implementation when upgrading the operating system, in this case Sonoma.
It has been a week and so far I've had no issues, fingers crossed.

Good riddance INTEL, we knew you when....

MadGadget

14 Oct 2023

Um, not so quick to saying goodbye to Intel architecture Macs...

They still have some advantages that Apple Silicon will never support, such as being able to run full, native Windows, or full Windows in a decent VM platform so that you can run full Windows apps (unlike going the ARM route which doesn't run everything), or how about being able to clone the drive and swap the original drive out for the clone or another, bigger drive , or adding more memory etc etc etc

Apple Silicon is definitely good, but it's not perfect at everything ..... yet

wendylou

24 Nov 2023

Actually, running CodeWeavers Crossover https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover for Apple Silicon is the easiest way to run many Microsoft applications on Mac without a clunky Windows emulator. No licensed WIndows to buy or emulator needed, just use CrossOver. 14-day free trial, Buy for $74.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

MadGadget

27 Nov 2023

Only problem is that it's not native, and some Microsoft apps do not run correctly or if at all. You have to check your software with their list of what is compatible.

The Intel arch allows you to run Windows native if you have to, which sometimes is the only way, good old bootcamp !

wendylou

30 Nov 2023

I think the new Parallels for Apple Silicon opens up running Windows again on M-chips.

Instead, I went with CrossOver, as I only wanted to try Cyberpunk 2077 on Mac. Code Weavers already created the WINE "bottle" for Steam and Cyberpunk 2077 – it works very well! On my Mac Studio M2 Ultra, I can run this demanding game in Ultra graphics mode on a 4K TV (3840 x 2160) and it looks spectacular! M2 doesn't support the ray tracing option, but it still looks amazing. The new M3 chips include hardware ray tracing, but it's not clear it will work for this game.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

• Information