What is your favorite arpeggiator?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DoctoralHermit

15 Sep 2023

What is your favorite arpeggiator? The old-school RPG-8? The new-fangled Dual Arpeggio? A Rack Extension?

huggermugger

16 Sep 2023

Korde...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 7.46.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 7.46.33 AM.png (107.54 KiB) Viewed 7149 times

Jagwah

18 Sep 2023

For me RPG-8 serves most of my purposes. Just the other day I wanted something to go 'la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la' and RPG-8 had that under control almost immediately. :thumbs_up:

BonsaiMacKay

18 Sep 2023

My take is always know your DAW arpeggiator (if it has one) very well. Reason's RPG-8 and Dual Arpeggiator do a great job when I need them. My DAW being Live, I also make use of the included arpeggiator in conjunction with other MIDI effects to build some interesting patterns. Now, if I want a more complete tool, I go for Sugar Bytes Consequence, which is a chord sequencer and arpeggiator with tons of possibilities. It is not cheap, but great value for your money, IMHO.

Jackjackdaw

18 Sep 2023

RPG 8 by far. I have been using a keystep as my controller lately and just started using the arp and sequencer in that as well.

selig
RE Developer

18 Sep 2023

In Reason the Dual Arp works for basics, and Korde or Pearls for more experimental stuff.

But my favorite is actually the ARP on my HydraSynth, which includes ratcheting and chance controls, “as played” order to 32 steps, step offset, 6 oct range, as well as scales and phrases and syncs tightly to start commands over MIDI.
It also has swing and a separate button for triplets, which lets you move through the “regular” divisions (1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc) without having to skip triplets but also able to throw in a triplet at any time with the button.
Selig Audio, LLC

dioxide

18 Sep 2023

RPG-8. Good Remote control and does everything I need. I'd be happy if they made a Player version of it.

Bes
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2023

Phrase by ReTouch does it for me
- Certified Reason expert

Chi-Individual

19 Sep 2023

Dual ARP for basics, PSQ for more advanced(swing, repeats, variations etc), QNG for just plain randomness.

challism

19 Sep 2023

I never really got into RPG-8. Kompulsion has been my go to arp since I got it. Before that I would use Korde. But lately I have been reaching for Pearls by TonicMint due to the endless number of interesting rhythms it's capable of kicking out.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

huggermugger

19 Sep 2023

challism wrote:
19 Sep 2023
I never really got into RPG-8. Kompulsion has been my go to arp since I got it. Before that I would use Korde. But lately I have been reaching for Pearls by TonicMint due to the endless number of interesting rhythms it's capable of kicking out.
I slept on Pearls when it first came out. Looks interesting though. Eight independent lanes?

challism

19 Sep 2023

huggermugger wrote:
19 Sep 2023
challism wrote:
19 Sep 2023
I slept on Pearls when it first came out. Looks interesting though. Eight independent lanes?
The eight channels are locked to move each step in sync with each other.

dvdrtldg

19 Sep 2023

challism wrote:
19 Sep 2023
huggermugger wrote:
19 Sep 2023

The eight channels are locked to move each step in sync with each other.
Independent lane control is one feature I really wish Pearls had. It's an excellent rhythm generator but once you've worked with Kompulsion you really miss all that flexibility

Bes
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2023

yeah but then you'd just have another kompulsion. Pearls is built really flexible in lots of ways but on purpose it retains at least the loop relationship for all lanes
- Certified Reason expert

challism

20 Sep 2023

That's why it's good to have both of them. Both have their strengths and unique uses.

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2023

Not sure if this is technically a arp but I quite like using drum sequencer for different polymeter arp type sounds.

Experimenting with pattern lengths and changing the key of the lane creates many cool happy accidents.

dan_g

20 Sep 2023

RPG-8 for me. i never got the same results out of the dual arp player. i don't know why but it seems to advanced for my basic needs.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

huggermugger

20 Sep 2023

Popey wrote:
20 Sep 2023
Not sure if this is technically a arp but I quite like using drum sequencer for different polymeter arp type sounds.

Experimenting with pattern lengths and changing the key of the lane creates many cool happy accidents.
Yeah, DS is not an arpeggiator. An arpeggiator processes incoming notes, changing its output as the input changes. DS simply generates specific notes, depending on what notes you've programmed.

dvdrtldg

20 Sep 2023

Popey wrote:
20 Sep 2023

True, not technically an arp but still a great way to use DS. I like using Beatmap for notes sometimes too

rorystorm

20 Sep 2023

Popey wrote:
20 Sep 2023

I use Drum Sequencer for generative music a fair bit - all the lanes different lengths and with low or medium probability for each note. Works a treat. If you've got Murf's RE port of Valley Plateau there's a preset Combinator I did for it called Rory Gilmour's Weird Uncle Brian that uses this trick.

Better yet you can use Static Cling's Autolatch player on random to get the notes different lengths for more variation and also so they're not just an annoying blip sound.

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2023

huggermugger wrote:
20 Sep 2023
Popey wrote:
20 Sep 2023

Yeah, DS is not an arpeggiator. An arpeggiator processes incoming notes, changing its output as the input changes. DS simply generates specific notes, depending on what notes you've programmed.
Yeah you are correct it does not process and generate different midi.

That said I still think it is a great tool for creating 16th note arpeggio patterns.

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2023

rorystorm wrote:
20 Sep 2023
Popey wrote:
20 Sep 2023

I use Drum Sequencer for generative music a fair bit - all the lanes different lengths and with low or medium probability for each note. Works a treat. If you've got Murf's RE port of Valley Plateau there's a preset Combinator I did for it called Rory Gilmour's Weird Uncle Brian that uses this trick.

Better yet you can use Static Cling's Autolatch player on random to get the notes different lengths for more variation and also so they're not just an annoying blip sound.
That sounds really cool. I don't have murfs reverb but just looked and it's cheap enough for me to afford.
Will have check out your combi and assume it is posted on here for me to find👍

crimsonwarlock

20 Sep 2023

huggermugger wrote:
20 Sep 2023
There are a few REs though, that can turn any "fixed" sequencer into an arpegiator :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

rorystorm

20 Sep 2023

Popey wrote:
20 Sep 2023
rorystorm wrote:
20 Sep 2023

That sounds really cool. I don't have murfs reverb but just looked and it's cheap enough for me to afford.
Will have check out your combi and assume it is posted on here for me to find👍
I really like Valley, I've used it quite a bit in vcv rack. Has a freeze button, pretty powerful modulation, good for when you want a big long reverb, bit like Valhalla or ds1. Lovely tone. It comes with a bunch of presets done by the RT community from when it was beta tested - I did a couple, they're the ones with really stupid names.

• Information