Grain position only goes halfway?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
slessene

08 Sep 2023

I've been trying to get some kind of control set up so that I can scrub the Grain sample position and no matter what I try — CV, LFO, bipolar, monopolar, doubling the input, through combinator, Grain mod matrix, etc. — it will only move through the first half of the sample. Why can't I get it to move through the whole sample? help me

_andreypetr_

08 Sep 2023

Make a screenshot please!

huggermugger

08 Sep 2023

Are your start and end points set correctly?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 6.50.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 6.50.38 PM.png (232.27 KiB) Viewed 4113 times

slessene

08 Sep 2023

Yeah trying to connect a CV control to Position by any means that I can think of will only ever move through the first half of the sample. This includes simply using the Grain mod matrix to connect source Mod Wheel at amount 100 to Position
Attachments
grain.png
grain.png (124.81 KiB) Viewed 4084 times

rmtcvolte

09 Sep 2023

slessene wrote:
08 Sep 2023
Yeah trying to connect a CV control to Position by any means that I can think of will only ever move through the first half of the sample. This includes simply using the Grain mod matrix to connect source Mod Wheel at amount 100 to Position
Every other mode than "Freeze" is doing what you asked for. It is the only mode without an end maker, but you can adjust the start maker to the middle of the display to go to the upper and lower half of the loaded sample with a bipolar cv source.

slessene

09 Sep 2023

rmtcvolte wrote:
09 Sep 2023
Every other mode than "Freeze" is doing what you asked for.
It doesn't. I only used freeze so I could get the screenshot

wereMole88

09 Sep 2023

You can record a video!

plaamook

13 Sep 2023

Pitch Fix 4 Blank.repatch.zip
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Try that. It def works by plugging a matrix cv out into Grain CV1 input. It'll scrub the whole way. You can at least see what's gone wrong then plug what you like into it.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

rmtcvolte

14 Sep 2023

plaamook wrote:
13 Sep 2023
It def works by plugging a matrix cv out into Grain CV1 input. It'll scrub the whole way. You can at least see what's gone wrong then plug what you like into it.
OP is trying to move postion, not startposition, as I understand it and he is right that in freeze mode it only moves half way. Thats why I suggested to set the sample start to the middle of the display. Feel free to try it:
grainpositionmove.zip
(3.73 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
But as always several ways to do it are possible and it also depends on which Grain Osc is used.

plaamook

14 Sep 2023

rmtcvolte wrote:
14 Sep 2023
plaamook wrote:
13 Sep 2023
It def works by plugging a matrix cv out into Grain CV1 input. It'll scrub the whole way. You can at least see what's gone wrong then plug what you like into it.
OP is trying to move postion, not startposition, as I understand it and he is right that in freeze mode it only moves half way. Thats why I suggested to set the sample start to the middle of the display. Feel free to try it:
grainpositionmove.zip

But as always several ways to do it are possible and it also depends on which Grain Osc is used.
Ah yeah...whoops. I'd set that up for start position.
Don't know if it transfers over. Haven't tried it.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

14 Sep 2023

Like was mentioned, set the freeze position in the middle and send a bipolar source to it (pitch wheel, LFO, or similar) and you scrub the whole display area. Perhaps simpler is to use the Envelope mode (it addresses the whole display) or use the mouse and record that as automation.

• Information