Multiple Outputs in Reason (Mac) via Behringer UMC1820

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eusti

03 Sep 2023

I've been trying to use my outboard FX more freely these days...

Want to route my recorded tracks out of Reason via an additional bus and rerecord the effected signal...

And somehow I seem not able to figure out how to do that.

Is anyone using their setup like this and has any pointers? Thank you!

selig
RE Developer

03 Sep 2023

eusti wrote:
03 Sep 2023
I've been trying to use my outboard FX more freely these days...

Want to route my recorded tracks out of Reason via an additional bus and rerecord the effected signal...

And somehow I seem not able to figure out how to do that.

Is anyone using their setup like this and has any pointers? Thank you!
Think of the outboard routing exactly like every other. You can use the direct outputs if you want the channel/inserts to apply to the external path, or the parallel outputs if you don't want to have the channel affect the external FX.
Then just start with the first free in/out pair, such as 3/4 in/out. Connect the outputs above to the out 3/4, and create an audio track (stereo) and assign to inputs 3/4.
If not using the direct outputs (which automatically mutes the channel in the main outs), you'll want to mute the original channel (the parallel outs will still function). Arm the new Audio Track and also click on the green monitor button and hit play. Adjust to taste!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

04 Sep 2023

selig wrote:
03 Sep 2023
Think of the outboard routing exactly like every other. You can use the direct outputs if you want the channel/inserts to apply to the external path, or the parallel outputs if you don't want to have the channel affect the external FX.
Then just start with the first free in/out pair, such as 3/4 in/out. Connect the outputs above to the out 3/4, and create an audio track (stereo) and assign to inputs 3/4.
If not using the direct outputs (which automatically mutes the channel in the main outs), you'll want to mute the original channel (the parallel outs will still function). Arm the new Audio Track and also click on the green monitor button and hit play. Adjust to taste!
Thank you, Selig! That makes a lot of sense. But at the moment I seem not able to actually get the audio routed to the other outputs of the audio interface... Will need to look into that more. Thank you!

joeyluck

04 Sep 2023

eusti wrote:
04 Sep 2023
selig wrote:
03 Sep 2023
Thank you, Selig! That makes a lot of sense. But at the moment I seem not able to actually get the audio routed to the other outputs of the audio interface... Will need to look into that more. Thank you!
Have you set the active channels under the Audio tab in Reason Preferences?

I think by default in Reason, audio devices will only have outputs 1&2 active.

active channels.png
active channels.png (69.12 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

eusti

04 Sep 2023

joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2023
eusti wrote:
04 Sep 2023

active channels.png
Thank you @JoeyLuck! I was missing that step!!!

selig
RE Developer

04 Sep 2023

eusti wrote:
04 Sep 2023
joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2023

active channels.png
Now that I have a huge setup with 32 channels I/O, this one gets me all the time.
Seems to reset to two channels all the time, and can’t be saved in a template at least as far as I’ve been able to tell.
Anyone got insight on keeping the additional I/O channels active between reboots?
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

04 Sep 2023

selig wrote:
04 Sep 2023
eusti wrote:
04 Sep 2023

Now that I have a huge setup with 32 channels I/O, this one gets me all the time.
Seems to reset to two channels all the time, and can’t be saved in a template at least as far as I’ve been able to tell.
Anyone got insight on keeping the additional I/O channels active between reboots?
For me, it remembers and recalls all settings for any audio device, including sample rate, buffer size, active channels (without saving a template). Does it retain other audio settings for you?

So if I switch audio devices, the settings change to how they were set per device. If I restart Reason and/or my computer and then select different audio devices, those settings are still as they were set per each audio device. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting devices, and even tried changing the audio device's sample rate outside of Reason, but Reason accounts for that change and still maintains the selected active channels...

selig
RE Developer

05 Sep 2023

joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2023
selig wrote:
04 Sep 2023

For me, it remembers and recalls all settings for any audio device, including sample rate, buffer size, active channels (without saving a template). Does it retain other audio settings for you?

So if I switch audio devices, the settings change to how they were set per device. If I restart Reason and/or my computer and then select different audio devices, those settings are still as they were set per each audio device. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting devices, and even tried changing the audio device's sample rate outside of Reason, but Reason accounts for that change and still maintains the selected active channels...
Is it the same if you shut down overnight and restart the next morning?
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

10 Sep 2023

Having the same issues now (With it being reset to only 2 outputs at restart even with the same project) that I know how to enable it... Not sure yet if it is because of using Reason with the built in sound card in between yet... Will try to figure this out... But still glad I can get this done in the first place now! :)

wereMole88

11 Sep 2023

I switch weekly between a Behringer UMC204 2/4 and a Soundcraft UI24 with many in/outputs. I never have to look at that menu as it appears to remember which inputs I have enabled.also regularly use built in sounds card or that multiple ASIO clients software. It always remembers.

joeyluck

11 Sep 2023

Yeah I've also tried restarting and shutting down and it still remembers my settings. Maybe something is happening outside of Reason for the interface to be recognized differently after it's been disconnected?

You could maybe try creating an aggregate device with it, just the one interface, and see if Reason maintains the settings for the aggregate device.

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2023

joeyluck wrote:
11 Sep 2023
Yeah I've also tried restarting and shutting down and it still remembers my settings. Maybe something is happening outside of Reason for the interface to be recognized differently after it's been disconnected?

You could maybe try creating an aggregate device with it, just the one interface, and see if Reason maintains the settings for the aggregate device.
I just checked, I get 2 out of 60 when I restart the computer but not when I quit and re-launch Reason. So I guess I'll be doing this once a day for the foreseeable future…
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

12 Sep 2023

selig wrote:
12 Sep 2023
joeyluck wrote:
11 Sep 2023

I just checked, I get 2 out of 60 when I restart the computer but not when I quit and re-launch Reason. So I guess I'll be doing this once a day for the foreseeable future…
I wonder why the different behaviors for some users...maybe depending on the OS version or the device itself and whatever it does with a reset? Have you tried creating an aggregate device for it? Even if just for one device—to sort of wrap it in a way. I wonder if that would make any difference for Reason to remember the settings.

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2023

joeyluck wrote:
12 Sep 2023
selig wrote:
12 Sep 2023

I wonder why the different behaviors for some users...maybe depending on the OS version or the device itself and whatever it does with a reset? Have you tried creating an aggregate device for it? Even if just for one device—to sort of wrap it in a way. I wonder if that would make any difference for Reason to remember the settings.
Could be an "Apollo/UAD" or maybe a USB-C thing because I don't remember seeing this with either the Zoom L20 or the Midas M32r via the previous USB spec/cables.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information