How can I minimize latency?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ChordMaster

05 Aug 2023

I have a MIDI-to-USB adapter cable, and I get a lot of latency. For some reason, pun intended, I can't find any MIDI-to-PCIe cards when I search for that on the web, although to me that would seem to be the easiest: from the MIDI device with a "normal" MIDI cable straight into the PCIe bus.

- Is the MIDI-to-USB adapter cable even the problem? The amount of latency depends on the instrument / refill chosen. Some have a lot of latency, some have less. So it does also seem to depend on Reason itself and not just the MIDI / USB connection.
- Anyone know of a near-zero latency MIDI-to-USB adapter cables available in the US? What should I buy instead of this cheap dinky thing that I already have?
- I can intercept all MIDI messages in both directions and display them, so I know what's happening, but with that I can't really measure the latency. I can only *hear* the latency. Is there a good way to measure and then compare the latency?
- Are there any other options? Somehow it needs to get from the MIDI keyboard with a 5pin MIDI/DIN cable into the computer.
(that's why I was hoping for a MIDI-to-PCIe card)

Thanks everyone!

PhillipOrdonez

05 Aug 2023

Isn't latency a buffer size issue? Audio settings, reduce the buffer as much as your computer can handle without breaking down and crackling.

huggermugger

05 Aug 2023

MIDI's data transmission rate is extremely slow compared to modern computers - you're not getting any latency in the MIDI itself. Latency is an issue of buffer size and the computer's ability to generate the required sound when you hit a note.

pushedbutton

05 Aug 2023

Those USB-MIDI cables generally suck, I had a midiman midisport 4x4 for a while and that was much better, but better still would be to buy an audio interface that has midi ports built in.
Latency is probably due to you not using a dedicated audio interface, you don't mention it but that's what I'm guessing.
I would recommend the Focusrite 2i4 if you're on a budget and all you want to achieve is low latency midi audio.
There's probably other interfaces out there that will achieve the same results and I'll leave that to the people who will inevitably want to argue with what I'm saying in the following posts.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

ChordMaster

05 Aug 2023

pushedbutton wrote:
05 Aug 2023
I would recommend the Focusrite 2i4 if you're on a budget and all you want to achieve is low latency midi audio.
Not on a budget, but would also like to understand what I buy and not buy the wrong stuff. I looked up the Focusrite 2i4, and how would this work? Use a normal 5pin MIDI / DIN cable to connect to the Focusrite at the back side, and then the USB type B connector next to it to get into the computer with a USB type A cable?

I mean how else would people connect their keyboards to Reason? I think pretty much all keyboards have to connect to the computer with some USB connection, how else?

deigm

06 Aug 2023

ChordMaster wrote:
05 Aug 2023
pushedbutton wrote:
05 Aug 2023
how would this work? Use a normal 5pin MIDI / DIN cable to connect to the Focusrite at the back side, and then the USB type B connector next to it to get into the computer with a USB type A cable?
Yes, exactly. Any audio interface with a midi input will work. Focusrite is a popular choice, but if you want to shop around, you're looking for an audio interface with solid drivers.
My keyboard has a USB out that plugs directly into the PC, so that's another option.

selig
RE Developer

06 Aug 2023

ChordMaster wrote:
05 Aug 2023
I mean how else would people connect their keyboards to Reason? I think pretty much all keyboards have to connect to the computer with some USB connection, how else?
USB yes, MIDI (5 pin DIN) not necessarily.
My MIDI controller (and HydraSynth keyboard) both connect to the computer with a USB cable. I don’t actually use “MIDI” cables to get into the computer in my current setup.
I’m guessing your keyboard doesn’t have a USB connection?
If not, I’ve used/reviewed various Focusrite interfaces over the years (still have a Claret 2Pre just for MIDI to my mixer since it doesn’t have USB and my Apollo doesn’t have MIDI).
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

06 Aug 2023

ChordMaster wrote:
05 Aug 2023
I mean how else would people connect their keyboards to Reason?
Smaller audio interfaces tend to be an all-in-one solution, and many of those have MIDI in/out as a part of that. Larger interfaces, like my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 have no MIDI connections, as they are dedicated to audio. I run a MOTU Midi Express 128 for MIDI connections. Although most of my keyboards have USB connections, I prefer to connect them through MIDI, as I have two Roland A880 MIDI patch bays that let me modify, filter and combine MIDI signals before they hit the MOTU.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information