Reason history -- from the year 2000 till this day

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
luckygreen

24 Jul 2023

Hello fellow musicians

A few weeks ago I bought a perpetual Reason 12 license. I was wondering where the Reason community was and it seems you are all here at reasontalk.com. Anyway, I have a history with Steinberg / Yamaha Cubase and Ableton Live but not so much with Reason Studios Reason. I played with Reason in the early days like version 1.0 maybe up to 4.0 or 5.0. Back then we called it the Game Boy for musicians. Funny, isn't it?

I looked for a nice document in which one would find all the major steps in Reasons development. I did not like what I found so I made my own 28-page PDF document in which i wrote down the major features and changes over the years and inserted pictures of new devices or sequencer features.

From the early days:
RT1.png
RT1.png (558.17 KiB) Viewed 27194 times
Tiil this day:
RT2.png
RT2.png (298.92 KiB) Viewed 27194 times
The PDF is 5,8 MB in size, the ODT (Libre Office Writer) is 13,7 MB in size. They seem to be too big to attach them. I need to find another way to host these files -- if there is any interest. Any suggestions?
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

arnigretar

24 Jul 2023

I'm interested to look at this just for the fun of it :) Can start with wetransfer and post the link here!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Jackjackdaw

25 Jul 2023

I would like to see it. Upload to Google drive or something and share a link

robussc

25 Jul 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote:
25 Jul 2023
I would like to see it. Upload to Google drive or something and share a link
I second that, would enjoy a walk down memory lane.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

EnochLight

25 Jul 2023

luckygreen wrote:
24 Jul 2023
I need to find another way to host these files -- if there is any interest.

WeTransfer is free and a great option: https://wetransfer.com/

luckygreen wrote:
24 Jul 2023
Any suggestions?

Yes. Don't ghost us. :lol:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

25 Jul 2023

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jul 2023
WeTransfer is free and a great option: https://wetransfer.com/
Yes, but the WeTransfer link will expire in a week or two, right?
Maybe we can host here at RT if there is interest (and if the OP ever returns…).
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

25 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
25 Jul 2023
(and if the OP ever returns…).

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

luckygreen

28 Aug 2023

Here are the files:

https://we.tl/t-yGiQvpLTUS

I appreciate any error corrections and suggestions for improvement. Thank you.

I will switch to Google Drive soon for a more permanent cloud storage solution.
selig wrote:
25 Jul 2023
I'm sorry. I was waiting for for approval. Somehow I lost sight of this. anyhow .. I'm glad my posting got approved. I'm so excited to talk to other :reason: users. :puf_smile:
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

EnochLight

28 Aug 2023

luckygreen wrote:
28 Aug 2023
I'm glad my posting got approved. I'm so excited to talk to other :reason: users. :puf_smile:
Welcome back! And welcome to the Reasontalk forums!

Ichooselife

28 Aug 2023

i’ve only been a user since version 7 tbh was cubase before that ( i did try out 5 briefly but the lack of audio recording wasn’t for me ).

i see lot of those versions progressed greatly apart from 12 , it would be nice for 13 to be even better .

and some of those old outdated effects should have been replaced really , daws like cubase have updated there old effects to look and act more modern.

and instead of new instruments reason 12 should make some more professional effects, maybe a nice new reverb ?.

but thanks op for creating this was interesting to see where everything got added as i never used reason before version 5 and 7 ( skipping 6 ) thanks man

dakta

28 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
28 Aug 2023

and some of those old outdated effects should have been replaced really , daws like cubase have updated there old effects to look and act more modern.

and instead of new instruments reason 12 should make some more professional effects, maybe a nice new reverb ?.

Give 'over :D As a creature of habit I still throw the DDL-1 into the rack whenever I want a delay. I know, as an R+ subscriber, I have 'the echo' but the DDL is ticking the box as well as it did in 1979.

I don't mind them adding things, keep going I say, but keep the old there and available, I'm still in therapy over the separation anxiety since the whole dr rex -> octorex thing. I haven't used loops since :(

Loque

28 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
28 Aug 2023
i’ve only been a user since version 7 tbh was cubase before that ( i did try out 5 briefly but the lack of audio recording wasn’t for me ).

i see lot of those versions progressed greatly apart from 12 , it would be nice for 13 to be even better .

but thanks op for creating this was interesting to see where everything got added as i never used reason before version 5 and 7 ( skipping 6 ) thanks man
What do you need for a new reverb?
Reason12, Win10

Ichooselife

28 Aug 2023

Loque wrote:
28 Aug 2023
Ichooselife wrote:
28 Aug 2023

What do you need for a new reverb?
better sound

Ichooselife

28 Aug 2023

dakta wrote:
28 Aug 2023
Ichooselife wrote:
28 Aug 2023

Give 'over :D As a creature of habit I still throw the DDL-1 into the rack whenever I want a delay. I know, as an R+ subscriber, I have 'the echo' but the DDL is ticking the box as well as it did in 1979.

I don't mind them adding things, keep going I say, but keep the old there and available, I'm still in therapy over the separation anxiety since the whole dr rex -> octorex thing. I haven't used loops since :(
sure have the old ones as legacy downloads if you want but i never use them

dakta

29 Aug 2023

I think a devs first question would be 'what are you missing'?

I say this, because part of me wonders if it's as much 'the covers getting faded a bit' syndrome as opposed to there is a functional need for this - say, the RV7 to RV7000 upgrade all those yonks ago (still feels like last week) I'd say you would have a point with as the RV7 was quite basic and the RV7000 brought the reverb fofering up to spec with a lot of flexibility. But should we keep pushing this? It almost becomes a progress for progress sake sort of dilemma. I noted this on a facebook group the other day when the major argument for reworking the MClass devices was because 'beige isn't nice on the eyes

BTW I've no problem with them actually adding new updated devices, however it does bring a problem in itself - because I can do what I want with expected results, you find yourself with a lot of things you don't really need, and this takes time off the roadmap.

BTW my post (particularly the dr octo rex bit) was a bit tongue in cheek, I'm of an open mind so if there is stuff to add to these devices, convince me :D

Ichooselife

29 Aug 2023

dakta wrote:
29 Aug 2023
I think a devs first question would be 'what are you missing'?

I say this, because part of me wonders if it's as much 'the covers getting faded a bit' syndrome as opposed to there is a functional need for this - say, the RV7 to RV7000 upgrade all those yonks ago (still feels like last week) I'd say you would have a point with as the RV7 was quite basic and the RV7000 brought the reverb fofering up to spec with a lot of flexibility. But should we keep pushing this? It almost becomes a progress for progress sake sort of dilemma. I noted this on a facebook group the other day when the major argument for reworking the MClass devices was because 'beige isn't nice on the eyes

BTW I've no problem with them actually adding new updated devices, however it does bring a problem in itself - because I can do what I want with expected results, you find yourself with a lot of things you don't really need, and this takes time off the roadmap.

BTW my post (particularly the dr octo rex bit) was a bit tongue in cheek, I'm of an open mind so if there is stuff to add to these devices, convince me :D
i don’t know mate i think everything should really be updated ,

but i really think the eq needs to be updated full screen
and lots more movable points

do you know what’s weird , because i’m not that teccy
and only use ableton level of features

i don’t look at any other daw and think that things need updating they feel complete

and i only think reasons need to pull away from
the daw has stalled them ,

things like track freeze and video and full screen eq and midi editor should be a given in 2023

robussc

29 Aug 2023

I’ve replaced the RV-7000 with Valhalla Vintage Verb and it's like night and day. Now perhaps the reverb style I was looking for was just not doable by the RV-7000, but whatever the reason (heh) I’m happier with a non-stock verb.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

EnochLight

29 Aug 2023

robussc wrote:
29 Aug 2023
I’ve replaced the RV-7000 with Valhalla Vintage Verb and it's like night and day. Now perhaps the reverb style I was looking for was just not doable by the RV-7000, but whatever the reason (heh) I’m happier with a non-stock verb.
Could be a matter of preference. Reason's RV7000 still sounds as close today as it did 20+ years ago to a Lexicon 480L, TC Electronic Reverb 6000 and AMS RMX-16 (which is what it was modelled after). Vahhalla Vintage Verb is just "different", and not trying to emulate those particular classic pieces of gear.

SebAudio

29 Aug 2023

EnochLight wrote:
29 Aug 2023
robussc wrote:
29 Aug 2023
Could be a matter of preference. Reason's RV7000 still sounds as close today as it did 20+ years ago to a Lexicon 480L, TC Electronic Reverb 6000 and AMS RMX-16 (which is what it was modelled after). Vahhalla Vintage Verb is just "different", and not trying to emulate those particular classic pieces of gear.
Sure ? From the product page :
Valhalla VintageVerb™ features 20 classic digital reverbs and 3 color modes inspired by the most beloved reverb hardware from the 1970s and 1980s.

Ichooselife

29 Aug 2023

EnochLight wrote:
29 Aug 2023
robussc wrote:
29 Aug 2023
it might be my lack of how to use it i can’t get it sounding lush very easily , i can get better results out of synchronus reverb

EnochLight

29 Aug 2023

SebAudio wrote:
29 Aug 2023
Valhalla VintageVerb™ features 20 classic digital reverbs and 3 color modes inspired by the most beloved reverb hardware from the 1970s and 1980s.
OK, so maybe Sean left out the Lexicon 480L, TC Electronic Reverb 6000 and AMS RMX-16 from those 20+3?

jklok

30 Aug 2023

The EDM Piano Space Patch is a great place to start if you're looking for your own lush reverbs. Find some nice impulse responses yourself and you can create your own unique gigantic sounds from it.

nebraskafire

30 Aug 2023

luckygreen wrote:
28 Aug 2023
Here are the files:

https://we.tl/t-yGiQvpLTUS

I appreciate any error corrections and suggestions for improvement. Thank you.

I will switch to Google Drive soon for a more permanent cloud storage solution.
selig wrote:
25 Jul 2023
I'm sorry. I was waiting for for approval. Somehow I lost sight of this. anyhow .. I'm glad my posting got approved. I'm so excited to talk to other :reason: users. :puf_smile:
Thank you, that's very interesting especially that the sequencer hasn't really gotten any improvements since 2016. ;)

SebAudio

30 Aug 2023

EnochLight wrote:
29 Aug 2023
SebAudio wrote:
29 Aug 2023
OK, so maybe Sean left out the Lexicon 480L, TC Electronic Reverb 6000 and AMS RMX-16 from those 20+3?
I don’t know. A lot of software companies claim that their product is inspired by, modeled on whatever and a lot of people comment that it doesn’t sound like the reel thing, different, night and day…
I’m not rich enough to have owned the said products nor I’m intimate enough with Peter and Sean to know the truth.

luckygreen

30 Aug 2023

Put the two files on Google Drive:

PDF:

ODT:

• Information