Multiple MIDI lanes for one instrument

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
me-yourself-and-them

01 Jul 2023

Hi guys,

i know i can have multiple midi lanes for one instrument an mute them in the sequencer. is there any way to achieve the same from inside an combinator?

why? i got on novation launchpad mini mk3, use the kashdukai codec to split them into different midi channels. set each channel fixed to one instrument for to be able to control all at once - but not the wrong ones. thus, my instrument with the need for multiple midi lanes is already fixed to one midi channel. this way i can control the instrument - but not the mute buttons of the corresponding midi lanes...

thanks for the advices!

cheers
Me, Yourself & Them

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2023

You can have multiple lanes in a track for one instrument and mute them in the Sequencer.
Instruments inside or outside of a combinator can be used exactly the same way, they can still have their own track and lanes.

You have a surface controller per instrument (the fact they are coming in on different midi channels is irrelevant),
I do not understand "for to be able to control all at once - but not the wrong ones", control what all at once?
and this "but not the mute buttons of the corresponding midi lanes" are you talking seq track lanes if so why is this any different from your first statement?

w1pl0c

01 Jul 2023

Controllers used in the advanced midi/sync section in preferences do not record midi in the sequencer. Boo

ljekio

02 Jul 2023

Create tracks for devices inside combi and lock it with surface codecs from Koshdukai.

mimidancer

02 Jul 2023

w1pl0c wrote:
01 Jul 2023
Controllers used in the advanced midi/sync section in preferences do not record midi in the sequencer. Boo
I have my Beatstep Pro and my esq 1 sequencer mapped in advanced midi and they absolutely record in the Reason sequencer. But not all at once.

me-yourself-and-them

02 Jul 2023

hi guys,

thanks for all the hints. stil no solution. i'll answer all question in here:

@carly: sure. i do have multiple note lanes for one track in the sequencer. my problem: you can't remote override the single note lanes by an external midi controller, see viewtopic.php?p=594104

yes, i do use receive notes. but that plugin works in ALL note lanes of the track, not just on ONE.

if you don't assign each physical midi controller (or as with koshdukais codec one midi channel) fixed to one instrument AND have same midi notes (also on different channels) you might trigger buttons of other lanes/instrumenst if they are selected. only by fixing a physical midi controller / MIDI channel FIXED to the track/instrument you can avoid this. i got 5 instruments and channels on my novation lauchpad mini mk3.

@w1pl0c: i've expermineted with taht old method as well. not really suitable. kushdukais codec splits every channel of one instrument into a new virtual midi in. working like charm and only costs 5€.

@ljekio: that sounds very promising. overseen that possibility so far. checked into it deeper. i can have one note lane for the combinator and one note lane for the included instrument. but no more. that's it. as soon as you create a note lane for the instrument inside combinator the only options on right click > instruments are "got to" and "delete" track.

setting up several receive notes from lepou is possible. even note lanes for each as well. but you can't put any content inside the receive notes lanes.

i was thinking about putting a combinator inside a combinator to get multiple note lanes. not possible as well.

right now, the only option seems to be to really duplicate my whole track including my combinator, the instrument and all the effects. also not really an option. i got round 10 effects on the instrument. and the instrument is the magnificent newfangled audio pendulate vst. really nice synth, but just that first vst pendulate takes up 40% of my i7 processor power. moreover, locking one controller to multiple instances of the pendulate wouldn't be possible too...

ljekio

02 Jul 2023

me-yourself-and-them wrote:
02 Jul 2023
as soon as you create a note lane for the instrument inside combinator the only options on right click > instruments are "got to" and "delete" track.
2023-07-02_12-16-07.jpg
2023-07-02_12-16-07.jpg (129.43 KiB) Viewed 3570 times

me-yourself-and-them

02 Jul 2023

i think i found a solution.
you'll need the free receive notes plugin and loop midi.
set up a combinator.
set up 2 external midi instrument deviced and one "real" instrument inside.
create 2 note lanes, one for each external instrument. route the midi out eg to loop midi 6.
add receive note decive to each external instrument device.
fix the loop midi 6 to your "real" device.
now you can remote override the 2 receive note plugins and thus mute multiple note lanes inside one combinator.
also new to me: you can even fix MULTIPLE instruments like loop midi 6 AND in my case koshdukais channel 6 instrument to ONE reason instrument :-)

Last edited by me-yourself-and-them on 02 Jul 2023, edited 1 time in total.

me-yourself-and-them

02 Jul 2023

@ljekio: i see the same in your shot. you may set up ONE combinator note lane and ONE per instrument. not more. right? did i miss something?

ljekio

02 Jul 2023

I just can't understand the original problem.
wasn't it the goal to have separate tracks for each instrument? and if you need to tie more, then I still don’t understand what it can be useful for. One codec can link to one device.
By the way, if we are talking about notes and velocity, you can use a player MIDI-CV converter in order to split the original signal to several devices.

me-yourself-and-them

02 Jul 2023

the original problem: i want to remote switch between note lanes that ALL are connected to the same final instrument. except pitch bend/modulation i got in done in the reason song above...

ljekio

02 Jul 2023

Note lanes not for record but for plays midi clips from there?
Maybe you need Select CV Switch?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-switch/

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2023

Personally I would have separate TRACKS, using the Receive notes you can control what is playing or not and merge the TRACKS what you want together via the Midi CV converter (or worst case use the CV player tap) to desired instrument..

E.g
Track 1,2,3,4,5 to instrument 1
Track 6,7,8,9 to instrument 2
Track 10,11 to instrument3
Track 12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 to instrument4 ( I always like instrument4 has the best sounds ;) )

DJMaytag

05 Jul 2023

01 Jul 2023
Hi guys,

i know i can have multiple midi lanes for one instrument an mute them in the sequencer. is there any way to achieve the same from inside an combinator?

why? i got on novation launchpad mini mk3, use the kashdukai codec to split them into different midi channels. set each channel fixed to one instrument for to be able to control all at once - but not the wrong ones. thus, my instrument with the need for multiple midi lanes is already fixed to one midi channel. this way i can control the instrument - but not the mute buttons of the corresponding midi lanes...

thanks for the advices!

cheers
Me, Yourself & Them
Are you trying to use one MIDI controller to control multiple Reason devices, but not all of them at once? It sounds to me like you’re doing something on your MIDI controller to map MIDI Ch 1 to (for example) an instance or Europa, Ch 2 to Grain, Ch3 to Thor, etc.

Do I have that right?

me-yourself-and-them

05 Jul 2023

exactely. used to do it with midiox. but that kills eg the back channel to make konglight the pads on launchpad when being played. koshdukais codec does exactely what you said.

DJMaytag

05 Jul 2023

I don't think there's a way to separate out multiple instruments in a Combinator, at least not that I've tried. If you have note lanes for each of the instruments, plus the note lane for the Combinator, then you ought to be able to route a controller to each instrument's note lane.

Thanks for the heads up on this topic. I'm interested in trying this codec, as I used to just lock multiple controllers (a Minilab, a LPK25, 2x Keysteps, & an Alesis QS8) to several instruments. Simply using the QS8 as a master controller and using its ability to quickly switch MIDI channels would be super handy.

me-yourself-and-them

05 Jul 2023

koshdukais is definitely worth the 5 bucks. check my .reason above, it's working now. on my acutal song i'm using 1 novation launchpad mini mk3 to control 5 different reason devices at the same time and use some push in buttons to activate/deactivate variation note lanes as like in the above sample reason.

me-yourself-and-them

16 Mar 2024

pushing it up again....any way to achieve this easier? switch between note lanes from midi controller?
my setup right now consists of
several external midi instruments sending to loop midi
routed to the input of several receive notes plugins by koshdukais codec
quite complicated.
any easier approach?

dioxide

16 Mar 2024

For mono sounds you can add an RPG8 per track and then merge the CV Gate into a single device.

me-yourself-and-them

16 Mar 2024

do you have an example reason file for me? read quite a lot on cv conversion, but don't get it yet.
the track by itsself is midi, thus mono.
the output instrument uses many stereo effects.

me-yourself-and-them

21 Mar 2024

i've played around a few more hours.

turn control 1 in the combinator. if you got the receive notes RE installed (free) you will see depending on the position of control one it will activate receive notes 1, 2 or 3 device. thus we would have the long desired feature "combinator radio buttons" - emulated by a rotary control. note lanes will be switched depending on the rotarys position.

just one thing i could't fix. turn the knob from left to right.
lane 1 active
lane 1 inactive, lane 2 active
but then lane 2 stays active, and also lane 3

i've played around for hours by inverting and changing in the combinator programmer.
can anyone fix this? then we all would have a long desired combinator feature.

me-yourself-and-them

23 Mar 2024

Final solution, working! Download combinator-multiple-note-lanes-v3.reason:

You'll need 2 free rack extensions:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ive-notes/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... t-program/

Free Loop Midi:
https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

And Koshdukais Codec:
https://koshdukai.gumroad.com/l/gmcarcm?layout=profile

Create a combinator.
Set up 4 note lanes. First half note, second quarter, third 8th, fourth 16th.
Add one external midi instrument for each. Set them all e.g. to Midi Channel 7 and Loop Midi Port 7
Add a receive notes RE to each of them.
Add the select programm RE on top in the combinator.
Connect select programm RE out A 0 1 2 3 to each receive notes enable in.
Add a synth like europe, lock it to loop midi 7
Add a rotary to the combinator. Range 0-4. Route it to select program.
Done.

What we got here is a solution to many year long wishes in reasontalk like momentary buttons viewtopic.php?t=7265449 or radio buttons viewtopic.php?t=7524372&start=50

Now, with the twist of just one controller knob you can change midi input lanes > to one instrument in real time without having to double the whole instrument. ENJOY!

jam-s

23 Mar 2024

I think it should be possible to do this without all that MIDI codec/routing and instead using a bunch of CVPT REs.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2024

23 Mar 2024
You can do it all inside of Reason, I told you further up how to do it.

Note the CV midi converter is only $9 at the moment.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... converter/

I sit the players on top of a Hamu or a WBL (both free), they don't do anything so don't take up much CPU.

Oh and I have way to do Radio buttons in Reason and across devices.
front.jpg
front.jpg (164.81 KiB) Viewed 582 times
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (151.87 KiB) Viewed 582 times

• Information