Reason 12.6.1 Offline Mode - Buzzkiller :(

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

23 Jun 2023

Installed 12.6 this evening. After getting the Intel/Apple REs installed and authorizing for offline mode, I went offline.
Reason took 40 seconds to load up. Spinning beachball. Shutting down - 30 seconds. (??) Tried again, same issue. Logic and Reaper opened up in a few seconds. And took over half a minute to load up the Reason Rack Plugin.
Shut everything down. Started over. Same issue.

Then I went online and fired up Reason.
Opened and closed in 5 seconds every time.

Back offline? 40 seconds, spinning beachball.

As someone who has their computer DAW offline pretty much all the time (I drag out an ethernet cable rarely only to do updates), this is a real drag.
Not sure why Reason Studios is doing that, but hopefully this gets addressed in an update!

It's a new computer so there's not a lot of garbage on it.
In addition, I had 12.5 installed for a short while before doing 12.6.
Checking the CPU/memory hit between 12.5 (with Rosetta) and 12.6 silicon, I found virtually no difference between the two.
I'm not a computer expert, but I had heard that Rosetta would use more resources, but I found no differences. Maybe the M2Pro has something to do with that, I dunno.
Installing 12.6 over-rode my 12.5 installation - even though I did a separate install for 12.6. , so I can't double check the numbers, but I know what I saw in activity monitor.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and someone can point it out. I'm on OSVentura, which I'm still trying to get my head around after using Mojave/Catalina for years.

Loque

23 Jun 2023

Guess the good times where Reason started in 2 seconds is over 😥
Reason12, Win10

dioxide

23 Jun 2023

I thought I'd try this in 12.6.1 to see what happens.

1. Launch Reason with wifi / internet active.
2. Quit Reason.
3. Switch off wifi (macOS 13.4)
4. Start timer and launch Reason (no plugins).
5. Reason launches and shows Rack in approx 4s.

If you're having to wait 40s it could be some other issue like slow loading plugins, It might be worth getting in touch with RS support.

WaxTrax

23 Jun 2023

I just tried with no network connection on 12.6.1 (with way too many VST plugins) on a MBP M1 Max and it takes about 7 seconds to load for me.

stratatonic

24 Jun 2023

Thanks WaxTrax and dioxide for checking things out. It's a new computer, so only two plugins installed at that time. However...
dioxide wrote:
23 Jun 2023
I thought I'd try this in 12.6.1 to see what happens.

1. Launch Reason with wifi / internet active.
I usually use Ethernet connection, but tried wifi just for convenience. Same thing - way too long to load.

BUT! Wifi wasn't working when I turned it on. (??)

Turns out that just having the Ethernet cable plugged in will kill the wifi connection on Ventura - even with no active internet connection on Ethernet, wtf!

Just unplugging the ethernet cable resulted in Reason loading up normally - even with wifi off. Bizarre.

stratatonic

24 Jun 2023

Loque wrote:
23 Jun 2023
Reason DAW now loads offline in under 3.5 seconds - beating even Reaper at just under 4... :clap:

(however, Reaper and Logic still load up normally with that damn Ethernet cable plugged in).

Weird that only Reason has an issue with this...

plaamook

26 Jun 2023

Loque wrote:
23 Jun 2023
Gone are the days when reason would close in 2 secs.
And I’m not talking about saving work or anything.
I mean shutting down comp and quitting reason w no projects open takes a while.
I assume it’s my aging comp but 12 has always been slow to open and slow to close for me.
Not the end of the world but…yeah.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Loque

26 Jun 2023

plaamook wrote:
26 Jun 2023
Loque wrote:
23 Jun 2023
Gone are the days when reason would close in 2 secs.
And I’m not talking about saving work or anything.
I mean shutting down comp and quitting reason w no projects open takes a while.
I assume it’s my aging comp but 12 has always been slow to open and slow to close for me.
Not the end of the world but…yeah.
No, same here. Takes easily 1min until Reason finally shut down and I could reopen a new instance...
Reason12, Win10

DaveyG

26 Jun 2023

Probably not relevant because I'm on R11 but every fifth or sixth time I open it I get a message that says it is already running and I have to go and find it and kill it in Task Manager. It's always been that way on this PC and the previous PC.

• Information