Combinator as instrument

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
visheshl

19 Jun 2023

Ok so as of now combinator saves patches.
What i would like to suggest is that the reason browser have a seperate folder as combinator based instruments and fx.
Combinator patches should be seperate from combinator instruments.

For example i build a hybrid combi instrument using 2 subtractors and a thor.
And save it as a combi instrument...it shows up inside the combinator instruments folder.
And then this particular hybrid instrument could have a library of patches.

Its just a little twist in the way things are organised actually, but i think this could be quite useful.

You could save it as a single one off patch or you could save it
As an instrument/hybrid effect...and that instrument/effect has its own set of patches.

Thoughts ?
Pros n cons ?

deeplink
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2023

I don't think the browser needs to change in that way. I have all my combi instruments in a folder anyway.

What would be nice - which I think you may be leaning into - is "sub-patches" for a particular combi patch. I would plus one this idea, or any other mechanism, that would decrease loading times for combinator patches - especially where the same devices are contained within it.

That said, I think we're far off from that happening. I have yet to see a community based patch library for a custom combi patches. Even my own combis, which were purpose built to act as a standalone instrument, haven't drawn the time or willpower from myself to make a whole patch library for it.

That may change tho
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

crimsonwarlock

19 Jun 2023

If you save a combinator in it's own directory, together with the related patches, patch loading will behave the same as other devices in reason. When you click on the preset field,a drop-down with available patches will show. If you use subdirectories below that, you'll have sublists with presets.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

visheshl

19 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Jun 2023
If you save a combinator in it's own directory, together with the related patches, patch loading will behave the same as other devices in reason. When you click on the preset field,a drop-down with available patches will show. If you use subdirectories below that, you'll have sublists with presets.
Oh!
Thats nice!
But still, saving a combi as an instrument would be nice right ?
You load it just like other instruments, and then you have sub patches for it...a similar idea...but it would be nice to have a combi instruments tab in the browser, so you could load your favourite instrument and then browse patches for it...

crimsonwarlock

19 Jun 2023

visheshl wrote:
19 Jun 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Jun 2023
Oh!
Thats nice!
You load it just like other instruments, and then you have sub patches for it...a similar idea...but it would be nice to have a combi instruments tab in the browser, so you could load your favourite instrument and then browse patches for it...
You can do that as well, you can drag combinators into favorite lists together with instruments and effects. The only thing missing is the graphic representation of the faceplates.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

visheshl

19 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Jun 2023
visheshl wrote:
19 Jun 2023

Oh!
Thats nice!
You can do that as well, you can drag combinators into favorite lists together with instruments and effects. The only thing missing is the graphic representation of the faceplates.
Thanks, yes its possible to do that.
👍👍👍

RandomNoise

20 Jun 2023

deeplink wrote:
19 Jun 2023
What would be nice - which I think you may be leaning into - is "sub-patches" for a particular combi patch. I would plus one this idea, or any other mechanism, that would decrease loading times for combinator patches - especially where the same devices are contained within it.
That is not a bad idea and very similar to how Ableton Live solved it a year ago with the macro variations update:
Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 21.03.31.png
Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 21.03.31.png (58.71 KiB) Viewed 1214 times

• Information