Easiest way to do this in R12

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

18 Jun 2023

Hi all

What is the easiest way to achieve this in reason 12? What I’m wanting to do is record my simple 3 track session live. So I have 1 track with a Dr Octorex playing drums, 1 track with a Pad sound being played by PolyStep sequencer and a 3rd track with a synth(subtractor+matrix)
I have mapped 4 of the subtractor controls to 4 rotaries on my Nektar Impact 25

As the track progresses I’m changing the filter, matrix pattern etc and want to record the actual audio, mute/solo some of the channels
What I though I would do is route the 3 tracks to a new bus, make that a recording source and record onto an audio track. That does work but i then can’t manipulate anything with the rotaries as it makes that track in focus and stops recording on the audio track. Ideally I’d like to make all changes via the nektar controller rather then the mouse

Any help greatly appreciated

Also is there a way to save a patch that will save with the rotary mappings i have made. I have to ‘grab’ them each time

Cheers

Heigen5

18 Jun 2023

Not sure what you are after, but you could maybe use a combi by mapping all these 3 sources to a combi and THEN control it with your Nektar? Or did you mean something else?

graeme75

18 Jun 2023

Maybe I haven’t explained it very well.
I basically want to record the audio live but also be able to retain the ability to change parameters in real time on the midi controller. Currently as soon as I move focus away from the audio track it doesn’t record the audio anymore

Heigen5

18 Jun 2023

Ok, not still sure if I understood everything you described, but here are 3 pics that explain a method, how to record midi into audio by using the Fx Return 8.

sampling_in.jpg
sampling_in.jpg (809.51 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

This is the routing into the FX Return 8. Also I enabled the record and midi automation buttons.

rec_source.jpg
rec_source.jpg (400.26 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

You need to enable the master Rec Source.

master section.jpg
master section.jpg (712.86 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

This makes it to record it into the audio channel.

Is this what you want?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

19 Jun 2023

Like you said this works for audio:

• In the big mixer, choose your three channels (use shift to multi-select), right-click and Route to new Output Bus.
• On that bus channel in the rack, fold out the bus channel device click the "Rec Source" button.
• Create an audio track, make it stereo and you can now choose the Output Bus as the input.

To also record the MIDI automation to your MIDI tracks, just also click the Record Enable Parameter Automation button on those tracks (the round button with the squiggly line. As long as both the audio track and MIDI tracks are record enabled, you'll record it all.

Note that clicking a track does indeed change the keyboard focus/record enable. That's how it works so you'd have to choose one track to have MIDI keyboard focus or lock several controllers to different devices. But automation should work to if you assign your rotaries to different devices, you don't need to change track selection for that.

I'm not quite sure why you want to record your automation as MIDI and the resulting audio simultaneously though... it seems counterintuitive to both want to real-time record the result destructively and also have the automation recorded for editing.

graeme75

19 Jun 2023

Maybe I’m thinking about it all wrong then

Is the idea to record all automation and then output as audio file
I would like the session to capture all changes I make via midi controller incl mute/solo channels/pattern changes whilst I do it live. So do I just arm all 3 tracks for automation and noodle away?

Many thanks for the info so far

Cheers
Graeme

Heigen5

19 Jun 2023

graeme75 wrote:
19 Jun 2023
Maybe I’m thinking about it all wrong then

Is the idea to record all automation and then output as audio file
I would like the session to capture all changes I make via midi controller incl mute/solo channels/pattern changes whilst I do it live. So do I just arm all 3 tracks for automation and noodle away?

Many thanks for the info so far

Cheers
Graeme
You don't need to record your midi automation into audio. Midi tracks sound the same as after recording them into audio (and in midi they remain being tweakable too then). It seems you want to control 3 midi tracks with one midi-controller, which you can't without using a combi (by mapping the parameters of each midi-track you want to control with your controller).

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2023

graeme75 wrote:
18 Jun 2023
…What I though I would do is route the 3 tracks to a new bus, make that a recording source and record onto an audio track. That does work but i then can’t manipulate anything with the rotaries as it makes that track in focus and stops recording on the audio track.
Use “MANUAL REC” mode. Click on the button located just under the tools (arrow, pencil, eraser, razor, etc).
I set it this way a few years ago and never looked back.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information