Recycle or DrOctoRex

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ChulaCoola

02 Jun 2023

I am basically a Reason newbie, though I played with Reason 4 free version for some years before finally buying Reason 12. Fun so far, but I have a LOT to learn.
I have been acquiring a few instruments, and other items, and have Recycle Demo 2.2.4. I am wondering if DrOctoRex does the same thing as Recycle, better, worse, or the same.
I would REALLY appreciate you veteran Recycle/Dr users insight on this.

Thanks.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

EnochLight

02 Jun 2023

ChulaCoola wrote:
02 Jun 2023
I am wondering if DrOctoRex does the same thing as Recycle, better, worse, or the same.
No, they are two very different things. ReCycle is literally used to create and edit REX files from samples. Dr. Octo is specifically a REX file player - no creation of REX files available. That said, basic REX file creation was integrated directly into Reason back in version 7 (I think). Can't remember. So really you could create all of your REX files in Reason directly and easily play them/perform them in Dr. Octo, just keep in mind Reason doesn't allow deep editing of REX files (all you get is a preset slice marker algo with no way to automatically adjust their threshold).

That said, ReCycle hasn't been updated in many, many years (and it's unlikely to be updated any time soon). It's largely a deprecated piece of software IMHO, even though they still sell it. It hasn't been updated in over a decade... :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

deeplink
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2023

ReCycle is a seperate programme design to create Rex Files - it provides some additional features and controls to make the development of Rex Files easier.

DrOctoRex only plays such Rex Files within Reason.

Reason Studios later introduced the ability to create Rex Files from directly from the DAWs sequencer. Thus negating the need to have Recycle (however it's process is not as streamlined and feature rich as Recycle).

If you're making music, you don't really need Recycle.
If you're making Loop, Sample Packs etc. Then you might want to consider getting it.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

ChulaCoola

02 Jun 2023

How do I create rex files from the sequencer? I am familiar with manipulating sequencer clips, cutting, deleting, editing notes, labeling.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

aquil

02 Jun 2023

If you stay in Reason and dont want to use REX files outside of it, then just use mimic in slice mode. It's so much faster.

But if you want to save REX files, you can use the audio clip bounce feature:
slice-in-reason.png
slice-in-reason.png (183.32 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

ChulaCoola

02 Jun 2023

Ok, I found out how to create the REX loop. Thanks everyone. I may still buy the ReCycle, if I find some need for some of it's features. And I'll try Mimic too. It is good to have options if needed.

huggermugger

02 Jun 2023

The options for creating REX files within Reason are limited compared to using Recycle. I can't believe they still haven't integrated Recycle more completely into Reason.

DaveyG

02 Jun 2023

If you want to convert a lot of audio to REX files then Recycle is still the best way to do it by far. It goes beyond just slicing. You have a whole bunch of effects, envelopes and stretching options.

If you only want to "REXify" a few loops then you can do it in Reason - it's just a bit slower and less flexible.

You can download a demo of Recycle.

joeyluck

02 Jun 2023

Recycle has the Slice Sensitivity setting, while Reason's Slice Edit mode currently does not. You can still add and remove slices manually in Reason before bouncing to REX loop.

Mimic has a Slice Sensitivity, but no REX file export.

Hopefully someday Reason Slice Edit mode will have Slice Sensitivity and/or Mimic will have REX file handling with export.

EnochLight

02 Jun 2023

One thing that Reason's REX file creation has over ReCycle is that audio is elastic and can be warped via the slice markers before committing it to REX.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG

02 Jun 2023

joeyluck wrote:
02 Jun 2023
(Mimic has) no REX file export.
For me that was another one of those "wtf were they thinking?" moments. A sampler that can slice audio but doesn't support their own sliced audio format! You really couldn't make it up. :shock:

joeyluck

02 Jun 2023

DaveyG wrote:
02 Jun 2023
joeyluck wrote:
02 Jun 2023
For me that was another one of those "wtf were they thinking?" moments. A sampler that can slice audio but doesn't support their own sliced audio format! You really couldn't make it up. :shock:
It's an SDK thing. I think they said it's on a list of features they'd like.

Goriila Texas

03 Jun 2023

:thumbs_up:

DaveyG wrote:
02 Jun 2023
joeyluck wrote:
02 Jun 2023

Goriila Texas

03 Jun 2023

That's bullsheit bro RS is not bound to the SDK as they have created many instruments outside of the SDK. RS just don't know about sampling tech or sampling workflow they're mostly EDM and synth guys. If they understood sampling or turning one-shots into instruments none the samplers would be this behind. There's no excuse as to why I can load REX files in all Studio One samplers and Kontakt but can't in Reason.

joeyluck wrote:
02 Jun 2023
DaveyG wrote:
02 Jun 2023

joeyluck

03 Jun 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
03 Jun 2023
That's bullsheit bro RS is not bound to the SDK as they have created many instruments outside of the SDK. RS just don't know about sampling tech or sampling workflow they're mostly EDM and synth guys. If they understood sampling or turning one-shots into instruments none the samplers would be this behind. There's no excuse as to why I can load REX files in all Studio One samplers and Kontakt but can't in Reason.

joeyluck wrote:
02 Jun 2023

Mimic is a RE made with the same SDK available to all RE devs. It needs to be updated to support REX format. That's all I know.

jam-s

03 Jun 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
03 Jun 2023
It's not BS. Every new Player/Instrument/FX RS have released after the introduction of the RE SDK has been made with it. Somtimes it might have used a not yet released beta version of the SDK, but in general the seem to strictly adhere to the "eat your own dogfood" principle regarding the development of new Reason devices.

arnigretar

04 Jun 2023

And on that note - Reason would be the best tool by far for musicians working with samples if they would have Recycle features available inside Reason and that Rex format is supported by Mimic. They should embrace Recycle's "old features". I own Recycle myself but it would be so handy if it was just available in the DAW.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

• Information