Reason 12 upgrade $67.19

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2023

https://www.jrrshop.com/propellerhead-reason-upgrade

Use code GROUP at checkout.

Wonder If you buy this and then don’t register it until 13 shows up if it’ll work to get 13.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

01 Jun 2023

I'm almost tempted. Almost.

They also look to have the R+ subscription on offer for a similar price.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2023

DaveyG wrote:
01 Jun 2023

Yeah. So far it’s always been that when a new version is coming they say buy the latest version and get the newest version when it’s released. Thing is we don’t even know when/ if there’ll be a 13.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

01 Jun 2023

Wow

Ottostrom

01 Jun 2023

R13 around the corner? :shock:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2023

Ottostrom wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Probably just another sale. I doubt RS would tell JRR to get rid of their 12 licenses fast.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ottostrom

01 Jun 2023

MrFigg wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Ottostrom wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Probably just another sale. I doubt RS would tell JRR to get rid of their 12 licenses fast.
Maybe some electrical components in the unused Mimics are starting to degrade so they need to get rid of them asap

bernardh

01 Jun 2023

DaveyG wrote:
01 Jun 2023
I'm still on Reason 11. I don't have high definition monitors or an Apple M1 processor or any interest in Mimic. Is VST3 support pretty much the only benefit I would get from upgrading to R12 perpetual?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
01 Jun 2023
DaveyG wrote:
01 Jun 2023
I'm still on Reason 11. I don't have high definition monitors or an Apple M1 processor or any interest in Mimic. Is VST3 support pretty much the only benefit I would get from upgrading to R12 perpetual?
If you’re asking then you don’t want it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bernardh

01 Jun 2023

MrFigg wrote:
01 Jun 2023
bernardh wrote:
01 Jun 2023

If you’re asking then you don’t want it.
I think you're right; although VST3 support would be nice, those Robotic Bean VST3 only instruments look very cool...

joeyluck

01 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
01 Jun 2023
DaveyG wrote:
01 Jun 2023
The new Combinator? The browser is faster and we can now filter by plugin type. And aside from Apple Silicon, there have been several performance improvements. Lots of bug fixes and improvements. There have been 17 updates since the initial release. https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes Another one being tested now.

DaveyG

01 Jun 2023

joeyluck wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Lots of bug fixes...
That's because they introduced shitloads of bugs with the first version of 12 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm also still on 11 and, let's face it, if I'm not jumping on that JRR price I'm never going to upgrade to 12.

- Combinator 2 and Mimic are not of much interest to me.

- HD gfx would be useful but not enough to justify the upgrade. If there is one thing that should have been a free upgrade then HD is it. And don't forget that most of us were somewhat underwhelmed by their HD implementation. We expected to be able to zoom different parts of the screen independently and on the fly.

- VST3 would be of interest but they don't support MIDI out and most of my stuff is done in Studio One using the RRP anyway.

- M1/M2 support good but not relevant to Windows users.

- All the other changes are froth rather than beer.

Even some of the mainstream magazines said that 12 might not be a worthwhile upgrade for users of 11 and magazines thrive on being positive and upbeat about almost everything!

Maybe R13 will float my boat a bit more, whenever it arrives.

madmacman

01 Jun 2023

Another aspect which might be unsexy, but seems to be a nice "under the hood" improvement in R12:

If I remember correctly, the RRPs in R11 were monolithic and clumsy. On a Mac ~350MB each (Instrument and FX). With R12 the developers seem to have modularised the code to a great extent. Meaning: Plugins are now ~86MB (and even less to my memory before AppleSilicon support). That's great :thumbup:

So don't underestimate optimisation and efficiency.

ljekio

01 Jun 2023

joeyluck wrote:
01 Jun 2023
The new Combinator? The browser is faster and we can now filter by plugin type. And aside from Apple Silicon, there have been several performance improvements. Lots of bug fixes and improvements. There have been 17 updates since the initial release. https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes Another one being tested now.
The new Combinator is the only thing that has attracted me since its release.
But I had Win7 and had no desire to switch to 10.
Now I'm preparing a new SSD under 10 and doubt between that offer and waiting for 13.

DaveyG

01 Jun 2023

madmacman wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Another aspect which might be unsexy, but seems to be a nice "under the hood" improvement in R12:

If I remember correctly, the RRPs in R11 were monolithic and clumsy. On a Mac ~350MB each (Instrument and FX). With R12 the developers seem to have modularised the code to a great extent. Meaning: Plugins are now ~86MB (and even less to my memory before AppleSilicon support). That's great :thumbup:

So don't underestimate optimisation and efficiency.
That would be solving a problem I don't have. I routinely run 3 or 4 instances of RRP and one instance of FL Studio as plugins in Studio One along with a bunch of VSTs and audio tracks. On my current PC, which is five years old now, I have never run out of horsepower or memory in any project with any DAW. Bandwidth is just not the problem it used to be unless you go crazy. It amuses me that on the FL Studio forum there is a recurring theme of people complaining that they make EDM and can't cope with the 100 track limit!

OldGoat

01 Jun 2023

Greetings Propellerheads!

I mean to have heard that 12 doesn't run well on old computers that previously ran 10 without problems, can anyone comment on this?
I can't find any details in the system requirements. (I have an old quad core CPU in my Dell XPS)
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/product/reason-12/

Also any experience with Balance?
Generously, support for this interface has been discontinued.
However, Balance runs well under Win 10 with its generic USB audio driver. Has anyone gotten it to work under 12?

Thank you!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2023

OldGoat wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Greetings Propellerheads!

I mean to have heard that 12 doesn't run well on old computers that previously ran 10 without problems, can anyone comment on this?
I can't find any details in the system requirements. (I have an old quad core CPU in my Dell XPS)
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/product/reason-12/

Also any experience with Balance?
Generously, support for this interface has been discontinued.
However, Balance runs well under Win 10 with its generic USB audio driver. Has anyone gotten it to work under 12?

Thank you!
12? You mean Reason 12? Yeah, my Balance runs great. Windows 10.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2023

OldGoat wrote:
01 Jun 2023

3rd generation i7 - reason 12 great performance, in some of my tracks it Works better than order versions [it plays my song till the end without computer too slow warning and tool much cracking sounds]

Old laptop with i5-6200u I don't see any performance issues.

Both on win10

challism

01 Jun 2023

Wow, that's an amazing price. If I didn't already have 12, I'd be upgrading now.
DaveyG wrote:
01 Jun 2023
joeyluck wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Lots of bug fixes...
That's because they introduced shitloads of bugs with the first version of 12 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm also still on 11 and, let's face it, if I'm not jumping on that JRR price I'm never going to upgrade to 12.
Reason 12 runs great. Sure, it started off pretty rocky, was released too soon, bla bla bla. But it's pretty amazing software at this point. Definitely worth $67. Wow. And from the sounds of it, R13 isn't even around the corner at this point, so this upgrade will keep someone in the most recent version for quite a while into the future.

Anyway, if you're not interested in it, you're not interested. But please don't let the botched initial release version turn you off to Reason 12 as it's been running fine for ages now.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

motuscott

01 Jun 2023

joeyluck wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Looks like this is a part of the current upgrade campaign to say goodbye to the old authorization system:
https://reasonstudios.com/blog/offline/
Headz up, Olde Timers
Y RS no like me no mor?
Hav supported since Blah blah blah
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Jagwah

01 Jun 2023

I want to upgrade for compatibility only. I've always been really hoping for big sequencer upgrades but that's a joke at this point. This sale may be my only chance because of the cost of living along with the very weak Australian dollar and of course the price hike of the upgrades, but my main concern is the person that I want to upgrade to be compatible with, might go ahead and upgrade again when R13 comes out, so I give up I will just stay on R10 and continue collaborating by bouncing things out.
motuscott wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Headz up, Olde Timers
Y RS no like me no mor?
Hav supported since Blah blah blah
It's OK it looks like it mainly affects Reason 1-11's offline use, we can log in as usual but if you want to set up offline use then there are issues as they no longer will support it. This is kind of what Microsoft does with windows, but they really force you to upgrade.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2023

I didn't think it would happen (I thought I'd moved on) but I jumped at the bargainous upgrade to Reason 12. Always had a soft spot for my first love but I was never going to drop £199 on it!
Had some fun knocking up a quick track but I'm not the Reason demon I once was - I have the basics still, but routing audio as I want it was a bit flaky.
The sequencer hasn't exactly flourished over the years but that's Reason I guess :lol:

Grum.

kitekrazy

02 Jun 2023

MrFigg wrote:
01 Jun 2023
DaveyG wrote:
01 Jun 2023

Yeah. So far it’s always been that when a new version is coming they say buy the latest version and get the newest version when it’s released. Thing is we don’t even know when/ if there’ll be a 13.
Not when the upgrade is reduced over 60%. $199 upgrade is pricey compared to other developers.

That $67 upgrade would be the only thing I would consider v13. I gave too many DAWs and this makes the cut of upgrading over $100 for a DAW. I'm jealous of this upgrade price.

Jagwah

03 Jun 2023

Grumbleweed wrote:
02 Jun 2023
I didn't think it would happen (I thought I'd moved on) but I jumped at the bargainous upgrade to Reason 12. Always had a soft spot for my first love but I was never going to drop £199 on it!
Had some fun knocking up a quick track but I'm not the Reason demon I once was - I have the basics still, but routing audio as I want it was a bit flaky.
The sequencer hasn't exactly flourished over the years but that's Reason I guess :lol:

Grum.
Hey Grumbleweed nice to see you are still around.

It could actually be a unique selling point for people returning to reason after a long hiatus - they will feel right at home with the sequencer because it's pretty much the same as they remember it 😀

• Information