Loaded Instruments with zero volume

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
amanitamix

30 May 2023

I have been frustrated by a few instruments that default at zero volume when loaded onto a track. The fix is to delete the volume automation track associated with the instrument but this extra step interferes with my workflow. Are there any workarounds to this?

crimsonwarlock

30 May 2023

I'm not aware of any Reason instrument that instantiate a volume automation track when loaded. Can you give am example?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Rising Night Wave

30 May 2023

perhaps if you replace it with drag and drop function
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

huggermugger

30 May 2023

I haven't experienced this once in 23 years of using Reason.

Billy+

30 May 2023

I've not seen any device do this,

but I have seen midi files include volume automation lanes ;)

amanitamix

30 May 2023

Here's a vid demonstrating what I am experiencing with a few instruments.

huggermugger

30 May 2023

amanitamix wrote:
30 May 2023
Here's a vid demonstrating what I am experiencing with a few instruments.

In the video, you're dragging and dropping an instance of Europa on top of an instance of a VST (funky gtr copy). You're not adding a new instrument, you're replacing one that's already there with a different instrument. Any automation that's already in the track for the original instrument remains in the track when you replace the instrument with another one. It looks like the automation that's already in the track happens to map to Master Volume on Europa. I see that the Engine 1 Level also gets automation.

pushedbutton

30 May 2023

I get this sort of thing when importing midi files, a lot of the time there is some automation data that seems not to be correctly importing and it sets device levels to zero. Quite often any drum tracks will have solo tracks on a kong that need removing, Europa's first sound generator often gets automated down to zero, sometimes thor is panned all the way to the right. I've just got used to checking for it but yeah, this happens a lot when you're working with imported midi files.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information