Going back to perpetual license.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
zabukowski

29 May 2023

I love Reason ... I am R+ subscriber since the beginning and Reason user from the first version ... after two years i decided to cancel annual subscription and buy R12 perpetual license instead. It's interesting, that ReasonStudios at this time don't offer any discount on extending annual subscription, as was the case in the previous years (May Madness), but nevertheless, money is NOT the issue here. I also already own Reason 11 Suite and a lot of additional commercial REs.

I suddenly realized that the amount of new devices and sound packs doesn't impress me anymore as they initially did, despite of their undoubtful quality. I don't need every possible new ReasonStudios device and tons of new sounds every week. Before R+, i was thinking about more, which new device or sounds are really driving me enough to buy them. It was much different feeling, i was more connected with Reason, focused on what i need and have. Nowadays i find myself using Reason less and less, it just feels too overbloated for me (which can be good for someone else). So i must change something regarding my relationship with Reason.

I own a lot of other products from competiton, but Reason is still something special to me. I really enjoy latest achievements like hi-res support, VST3 etc.. Of course i am hoping for some sequencer improvements as well.

Just wanted to share my story!!!
Last edited by zabukowski on 29 May 2023, edited 1 time in total.

arnigretar

29 May 2023

Hey mate -- I have similar story as well. I have been using Reason since v1 and have been on the ship all the way to +. I owned Reason 11 Suite and tried the subscription model for maybe a year before I lost interest in it. The amount of sound packs and all the instant feeling of having everything right away took away the joy of it all. So I stopped the + service and purchased Reason 12 + the devices I really wanted. Happy camper again and on my time.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

zabukowski

29 May 2023

arnigretar wrote:
29 May 2023
Hey mate -- I have similar story as well. I have been using Reason since v1 and have been on the ship all the way to +. I owned Reason 11 Suite and tried the subscription model for maybe a year before I lost interest in it. The amount of sound packs and all the instant feeling of having everything right away took away the joy of it all. So I stopped the + service and purchased Reason 12 + the devices I really wanted. Happy camper again and on my time.
I am glad i am not alone !!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

motuscott

29 May 2023

Reason perpetual here. I never had the subscription, but I do feel like I'm at the saturation point with accouterments. How many compressors and git amps does a fella need? And yes, I bought Objekt, but you get my point...
I ❤️ RS, but I wouldn't scream too loudly if they added punch in and track folderz
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

bernardh

31 May 2023

zabukowski wrote:
29 May 2023
Nowadays i find myself using Reason less and less, it just feels too overbloated for me (which can be good for someone else). So i must change something regarding my relationship with Reason.
I went through a phase where Reason felt excessively bloated to me too. Last year, I decided to declutter my setup by imposing strict limits on the devices I allow myself to have installed, focusing on specific companies and product-lines only. This approach has significantly improved the overwhelming feeling I had with my Reason 11 setup. However, it can still sometimes feels like an embarrassment of riches. To further address this, I also built a retro Reason box that runs Reason 7. I often find myself preferring this simpler setup because it has fewer devices (plenty of my newer REs don't load due to being built with a newer SDK) and I love its old school appearance and the more classic Reason feel it provides. It doesn't have Players but I enjoy embracing the challenge of delivering better performances, delving into manual MIDI editing, or utilising the RPG-8.

In summary, I wholeheartedly agree that it's worthwhile to find ways to reassess your relationship and reconfigure your Reason setup, especially if you've got to a place where you find this amazing software too overwhelming to work with!

AnotherMathias

31 May 2023

I’m tempted to try the “retro box” thing. I’d probably run Reason 8 - otherwise I’d miss convolution reverbs.

Not sure how to do that though… I’d have to find a downloadable v8, and would my current license even authenticate an old version?

challism

31 May 2023

AnotherMathias wrote:
31 May 2023
I’m tempted to try the “retro box” thing. I’d probably run Reason 8 - otherwise I’d miss convolution reverbs.

Not sure how to do that though… I’d have to find a downloadable v8, and would my current license even authenticate an old version?
I'm pretty sure you can run an older version of Reason with a newer version license. I've never tried it, but I've heard/read many times that it can be done. So just go download R8 from the RS website and give it a try.

Forum page with lots of Reason related download links: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7523451

Direct RS page: https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dvdrtldg

31 May 2023

For someone like me with a perpetual license and tons of REs, I really can't see the point of a subscription. Nobody needs *all* the gear, and if I do want to buy new REs, as long as I'm spending less than $300 a year then I'm coming out in front. And it's very easy to spend less than $300 a year if I confine my purchases to intro sales, Black Friday etc

The thought of receiving weekly "sound packs" gives me a panic attack

Steedus
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
31 May 2023
AnotherMathias wrote:
31 May 2023

I'm pretty sure you can run an older version of Reason with a newer version license. I've never tried it, but I've heard/read many times that it can be done. So just go download R8 from the RS website and give it a try.

Forum page with lots of Reason related download links: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7523451

While you can do this, I believe you can only do it for past versions you actually bought. For eg, I bought every version up to 6.5, but then lapsed until version 9, so even though I'm on version 12, I don't think I could use version 7 or 8.

DaveyG

01 Jun 2023

Steedus wrote:
01 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
31 May 2023

While you can do this, I believe you can only do it for past versions you actually bought. For eg, I bought every version up to 6.5, but then lapsed until version 9, so even though I'm on version 12, I don't think I could use version 7 or 8.
That is correct. A bit miserly of RS imo.

zabukowski

01 Jun 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
31 May 2023
The thought of receiving weekly "sound packs" gives me a panic attack
:lol:

AnotherMathias

01 Jun 2023

DaveyG wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Oh well, so much for that then.
I started with v1.0, and upgraded every so often, but then foolishly sold it a few years ago. Because of that I ended up starting again at v10, so then it seems that that’s as far back as they’ll let me go. Not quite retro enough to bother!

bernardh

01 Jun 2023

Steedus wrote:
01 Jun 2023
This is only correct if you use the Online login method. If you install and use Codemeter, then a Reason 10-only license with Offline Computer mode, will still let you run Reason 9, Reason 8 or Reason 7 in a fully authorised state no problem.

Aosta

01 Jun 2023

Never used the subscription model and it seems to me by the amount of begging emails of offers I get from RS that it is not a great success.
Tend the flame

bernardh

01 Jun 2023

AnotherMathias wrote:
01 Jun 2023
DaveyG wrote:
01 Jun 2023
I started with v1.0, and upgraded every so often, but then foolishly sold it a few years ago. Because of that I ended up starting again at v10, so then it seems that that’s as far back as they’ll let me go. Not quite retro enough to bother!
You can go back further using Codemeter. See my reply above :)

AnotherMathias

01 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
01 Jun 2023
AnotherMathias wrote:
01 Jun 2023

Ah, that's very good! I might get a chance to try it later today.
On the other hand, I DO like pitch edit for the audio tracks, and that happened in v9.0. If I go with that, by that time it's not all that retro anymore...

DaveyG

01 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
01 Jun 2023
AnotherMathias wrote:
01 Jun 2023

I really don't think that is correct. It certainly didn't used to work like that, even with codemeter. Are you sure the versions you refer to are properly unlocked and not just in trial mode?

bernardh

01 Jun 2023

DaveyG wrote:
01 Jun 2023
bernardh wrote:
01 Jun 2023

I really don't think that is correct. It certainly didn't used to work like that, even with codemeter. Are you sure the versions you refer to are properly unlocked and not just in trial mode?
Yes properly unlocked, it shows the Reason 10 serial number in the About screen on Reason 7 too.

AnotherMathias

07 Jun 2023

I wonder how the new “no code meter anymore” approach will affect the ability to run earlier versions…
Does anyone have clarity on this?

NostraDAWmus

07 Jun 2023

AnotherMathias wrote:
07 Jun 2023
I wonder how the new “no code meter anymore” approach will affect the ability to run earlier versions…
Me too,- and especially when the computer hardware is (too) old, Win10 will be discontinued and Win11 won´t run on that machine because it lacks TMP2.
AnotherMathias wrote:
07 Jun 2023
Does anyone have clarity on this?
No.
I guess they simply check out how far they can go.
In fact they don´t want you to run old RSN versions on aging hardware and all moves in direction of subscription only.
For subscription and cloud, you´ll urgently need Win11,- at least when Win10 is discontinued,- and Win11 doesn´t run on older hardware w/o TMP2 chip.

I bet, in 3 years, RSN is subscription only.
Many others (possibly) too ...

´Nuff time to sell most software and use more hardware again !

:puf_smile:

P.

• Information