Can anybody explain Mimic's mono modes?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Goriila Texas

28 May 2023

I can't figure out why in multi slot set to mono trig hitting one sound and when you release it triggers another sound. The only way to get rid of this is to select poly which doesn't make sense and backwards. For example if you hold down C and hit G it will play C when you release G.

Loque

28 May 2023

Isn't it what Mono reTrig should do?

Are you looking for Mono Legato?
Reason12, Win10

Goriila Texas

28 May 2023

No. Playing one note should not trigger another note mono trigger means one note at a time no matter how many times you hit a note that's why drum samplers are always set to mono. NNXT doesn't do this either when set to mono trig it works as expected.
Loque wrote:
28 May 2023
Isn't it what Mono reTrig should do?

Are you looking for Mono Legato?

Goriila Texas

29 May 2023

This ish is nuts I'm going back to Serato Sample is has a play button to audition samples and key detection why the hell am I using Mimic it annoys me.

DaveyG

29 May 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
29 May 2023
This ish is nuts I'm going back to Serato Sample is has a play button to audition samples and key detection why the hell am I using Mimic it annoys me.
Haha. I know exactly what you mean. When they announced Mimic I fully expected it be a combination of Ableton Sampler and Serato Sample. Serato is head and shoulders above the rest for speed and usability. I think whoever wrote the spec for Mimic has never used Serato Sample.

Goriila Texas

29 May 2023

:thumbup:
DaveyG wrote:
29 May 2023
Goriila Texas wrote:
29 May 2023
Haha. I know exactly what you mean. When they announced Mimic I fully expected it be a combination of Ableton Sampler and Serato Sample. Serato is head and shoulders above the rest for speed and usability. I think whoever wrote the spec for Mimic has never used Serato Sample.

PhillipOrdonez

29 May 2023

Sounds weird. Never had any issues like that with mimic 🤔

selig
RE Developer

29 May 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
28 May 2023
I can't figure out why in multi slot set to mono trig hitting one sound and when you release it triggers another sound. The only way to get rid of this is to select poly which doesn't make sense and backwards. For example if you hold down C and hit G it will play C when you release G.
Just to clarify, you’re using Mono Retrig mode which works as you describe. But what it sounds like you were expecting is Mono LEGATO mode. Or are you talking about a different feature/part of the interface?
Selig Audio, LLC

Goriila Texas

29 May 2023

None of the samplers work truly monophonically like any other sampler ive used. Most samplers when set to mono that's (good for bass or 808's) there's no issue with retriggering notes from other keys. I'm not looking for legato notes. I've tested Grain, NN-XT and Mimic and they all have the retrig issue. Now load up Sample One, Kontakt or Serato Sample and set it key note mono and it works as it should ie one note at a time. You can press as many notes as you want but only one will trigger. The samplers in Reason are all catered to synthesis and not sample base production. TBH it has to be a bug because why would anyone want to hold down for example C then hit G, while still holding C let go of G and C will trigger. That makes no sense to me.

selig wrote:
29 May 2023
Goriila Texas wrote:
28 May 2023
Just to clarify, you’re using Mono Retrig mode which works as you describe. But what it sounds like you were expecting is Mono LEGATO mode. Or are you talking about a different feature/part of the interface?

PhillipOrdonez

29 May 2023

Why would you hold c, then hit g, and release g, still holding c? if what you want is only one sample to play at a time (assuming, given you are in mono mode), then why do you do that?

Goriila Texas

29 May 2023

If I'm playing a bass note and want to control the length while playing in slice mode with other sounds. Or even oneshots with long releases using glides.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 May 2023
Why would you hold c, then hit g, and release g, still holding c? if what you want is only one sample to play at a time (assuming, given you are in mono mode), then why do you do that?

QVprod

29 May 2023

I have to echo everyone else. If you’re doing stuff like 808 slides, what you want is mono legato. Mimic does both legato and retrig.

Goriila Texas

29 May 2023

Even in legato the notes should not retrigger a previous note in the example I've explained above, I have RRP right now testing it. No other sampler I've used works like that. The samplers in Reason are unusable for me, nothing is complete or works quirky.

It's time to ditch Reason as I've hated the DAW workflow for years, Hate the way the company operates as a whole, everything feels halfazz. It's been hard to leave my comfort zone with Reason as I started on 2.5, but It's time to move on little by little.

QVprod wrote:
29 May 2023
I have to echo everyone else. If you’re doing stuff like 808 slides, what you want is mono legato. Mimic does both legato and retrig.

PhillipOrdonez

29 May 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
29 May 2023
If I'm playing a bass note and want to control the length while playing in slice mode with other sounds. Or even oneshots with long releases using glides.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 May 2023
So... not in multi slot mode, then. It is confusing when someone starts with one thing then change it up without telling what is being talked about.

Goriila Texas

29 May 2023

It's multi mode that what I meant, I'm switching back and forth here and testing. How is this hard to comprehend?

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 May 2023
Goriila Texas wrote:
29 May 2023

So... not in multi slot mode, then. It is confusing when someone starts with one thing then change it up without telling what is being talked about.

PhillipOrdonez

29 May 2023

In multi you play different samples. If you are playing slices of the same sample you are not in multi slot mode. And why are you so desperate to hold two notes at the same time? I don't get it.

Goriila Texas

29 May 2023

Don't get off subject worrying about my workflow that's why you're confused and I don't have time to explain. What I said has been confirm by Selig no other sampler works like this that I know of and I have used many.

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 May 2023
In multi you play different samples. If you are playing slices of the same sample you are not in multi slot mode. And why are you so desperate to hold two notes at the same time? I don't get it.

Loque

29 May 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
29 May 2023
Don't get off subject worrying about my workflow that's why you're confused and I don't have time to explain. What I said has been confirm by Selig no other sampler works like this that I know of and I have used many.

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 May 2023
Just to be clear, what Selig and I confirmed is, that Mono Retrigger works as expected in Mimic.

TBH I have no idea how Mono Legato should sound in a sampler? It must be some kind of morphing with pitch correction. Everything else is just blending and it would be wrong.

I think, now you have your explanation. If every other sampler work as you expect, you should use those samplers.
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

30 May 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
29 May 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 May 2023
How else can you issue be fixed if we can't understand what it is exactly your trying to achieve?

Goriila Texas

30 May 2023

I'm just going to take it as people don't know what voice count is to play polyphonically or monophonically. That is not how it is supposed to work but most here only use Reason and wouldn't know how things are supposed to work. I just wanted someone to confirm if this issue is true or if it was something I'm doing. I'm done with it and moving unto other samplers as they work without this bug.

Loque wrote:
29 May 2023
Goriila Texas wrote:
29 May 2023

Just to be clear, what Selig and I confirmed is, that Mono Retrigger works as expected in Mimic.

TBH I have no idea how Mono Legato should sound in a sampler? It must be some kind of morphing with pitch correction. Everything else is just blending and it would be wrong.

I think, now you have your explanation. If every other sampler work as you expect, you should use those samplers.

gbuck

30 May 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
30 May 2023
I'm just going to take it as people don't know what voice count is to play polyphonically or monophonically. That is not how it is supposed to work but most here only use Reason and wouldn't know how things are supposed to work. I just wanted someone to confirm if this issue is true or if it was something I'm doing. I'm done with it and moving unto other samplers as they work without this bug.

Loque wrote:
29 May 2023

Why don't you record this technique on your other sampler and share it with us or pass the popcorn.

selig
RE Developer

30 May 2023

I’ll try to check Kontakt today since it’s the sampler I’ve used the most that is still available. But I used CMI/Akai S900/Sample Cell/Kontakt (among others) for quite a while before I used Reason for the first time - I don’t remember Reason samplers doing anything differently than any of the previous hardware/software I used previously but could be wrong as it’s been a few decades since I made the switch!

I admit I’m now not quite clear what the question is, and I realize I’m not being that clear either since we don’t seem to be on the same page. That said, ‘writing’ about music/sound is not always clear and a video/audio example showing the two different behaviors would make it clear (I can make a video later if it will help).
But I also understand if you’re simply frustrated and want to move on, especially if you’re already not a fan of Reason’s workflow.
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

30 May 2023

I wouldn't rule out it isn't user error. I'm almost certain it is.

selig
RE Developer

30 May 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
30 May 2023
I wouldn't rule out it isn't user error. I'm almost certain it is.
I won’t rule it out either, but I’d say it’s unlikely if it works in other samplers but not in Reason.
I think the clue is in why one would want/need to continue to hold a note that is not making any sound…
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information