Can I reverse the notes in a Mimic piano?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jfrichards

24 May 2023

I would like to reverse the notes on a piano in Mimic, so that the high C is on the left and the low C is on the right. This is after having a long discussion with my brother, a classical and jazz concert pianist who bought me Reason 3 in 2005.. We talked about the traditional keyboard training one gets on a traditional keyboard, and what developments might happen with a reversed keyboard. We have both played with many guitarists, who all play melodies and chords with their left hand while simply plucking with their right, sort of the opposite from a piano.

How would I change the B below middle C to a C# as a start? I've tried various ways without success, but I only got the Mimic yesterday.

One classical pianist has built a reversed keyboard piano but he is only interested in playing traditional classical pieces, whereas we are interested in how to play and compose differently.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (other than telling me to f^%# myself).

huggermugger

24 May 2023

There's a Player that can invert the keyboard around any note.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... on/negate/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 3.23.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 3.23.28 PM.png (102.53 KiB) Viewed 252 times

jam-s

24 May 2023

For a free frankenstein solution you could use a combinator and put lots (one per note) of CVPT (on top of a not connected ID8) inside a combinator and then limit the note range for each to just a single note. Then you have to use transpose (from the combinator and via some additional free le note live receive note players placed on top of the CVPT for further transposition) to re map the note to the corresponding inverted note. Then you have to connect the first output of each of those CVPT to additional CVPT placed on top of the actual instrument you want to play in the combinator.

Beware: for a full 127 midi note range that combi would have about 150 CVPT, 128 ID8s, and even more receive notes. For 88key piano it should be about 100 CVPT, 88+1 ID8s and possibly ~200 receive notes.
InvertedPiano_PoC.zip
Proof of concept for this method (play C-2 to D-2)
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
If you're interested in a monophonic solution only using just one CVPT --> Thor to do the inversion of the note signal --> CVPT --> ID8 could also work.

But of course using Negate would be the easiest solution.

jfrichards

27 May 2023

Negate is fabulous.

• Information