Best saturation available in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
crimsonwarlock

31 May 2023

selig wrote:
31 May 2023
Wow, that's a "different" way of doing it (the Reaper way), was SO much quicker in a Combinator IMO. Plus he didn't show the coolest part where you flip the polarity of the saturated signal and blend it with the dry. Is it difficult to build that sort of thing (parallel processing with dry/wet control) in Reaper and save it with the EQ/Saturation setup? Glad to see he also covered using compression between the EQs. While this is an ancient technique, I've only been able to do it real time starting with the introduction of the Combinator, which makes the technique far more useful IMO.

While both approaches have their pros/cons, I still find myself leaning towards the Reason/Combinator approach for building these sorts of devices.
I just dug up the video because I used to use Reaper as my main DAW several years ago, and I was mostly interested in using this with distortion/saturation plugins back then. I totally agree that combinators are more powerful for things like this, but funny enough, I didn't yet build anything like that in a combinator. As you ask, it is certainly possible to set up parallel processing with dry/wet control in Reaper, but it won't be as nicely contained as a combinator does. You can basically set something like this op in a mixer channel and then save that as a mixer-channel preset. Saying that, one of the very few things I'm missing in Reason are in fact mixer-channel presets (and mixer snapshots) :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information