any guitar players that can help? DI recording issue

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Last Alternative

02 May 2023

Hello,

I have a UA Apollo Twin interface. When I'm recording guitar or bass I hear the DI sound as well as the amp. It is very frustrating and interferes with my focus while recording. The DI sound is not being recorded. It is only heard during tuning and recording so I feel like there's a monitoring setting issue and I've tried playing with all the settings to no avail. I contacted Universal Audio and they told me to contact RS (which I just did) since it is a DAW setting.

Please assist on turning off the DI sound when recording so I only hear the amp sim such as Kuassa, Softube, IK Multimedia Amplitube amps, etc.

thanx,
Jace
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Steedus
Competition Winner

03 May 2023

Sounds like you're using the "direct monitoring" feature of an audio interface. Can you confirm, is the "Monitor" button turned on, on your interface?

If you're listening back through Reason with effects, like a guitar amp sim, the Monitor function needs to be off.

guitfnky

03 May 2023

yeah, agree with Steedus—sometimes that’s managed in the interface manufacturers’ control software, but in either case, it should just be a matter of turning down the input monitoring.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MuttReason

03 May 2023

Apollo X4 user here... I'm not in front of my computer at the moment, so doing this from memory... IIRC you need to do do one of the following two options:

1) Turn OFF monitoring in the Reason DAW for the channel you're using to record your guitar and just monitor through the UAD Console app only, with all your UAD plugins enabled; OR...

2) Mute the input for your guitar in the UAD Console app and turn ON monitoring in the Reason DAW, at which point you will hear your guitar live through any devices you have enabled on that channel (Kuassa amps etc). Essentially you're bypassing the Console app and the UAD plugins when you do this, and everything you hear will be via the Reason DAW monitoring input with any native effects enabled.

If you have monitoring ON in the Reason DAW and you also have the recording channel ON (i.e. not muted) in the UAD Console app you will hear both the signal through your plugins in Reason and also the signal through your UAD plugins in the UAD Console app (or just the dry signal via the UAD Console app if you don't have any UAD plugins enabled).

selig
RE Developer

03 May 2023

Need more information… what “amp” are you hearing? Are you using Console with an amp plugin there, or are you using an amp in Reason?
Before you arm a track in Reason for record, do you hear anything?
Are you running Console, and how do you have it setup?
Selig Audio, LLC

strangers
Competition Winner

03 May 2023

You'll have to turn off the monitor button on the Apollo. Focusrite interfaces have the same thing. When 'direct monitor' is on you'll hear the DI signal plus any processing you're doing within the DAW. Set it to 'off' and you'll only hear the processing within the DAW.

Last Alternative

15 May 2023

SOLVED!

Thanx guys. All I had to do was mute the track in the UA software. Very strange that the mute button doesn’t work on the hardware. Maybe that’s just for the talkback function.

But now I’m wondering if by muting the UA track does that cancel out the interface’s internal latency correction?

And it’s pretty disappointing that UA support didn’t even figure it out after 3 emails! They even referred me to talk to RS. That’s why this forum is so valuable.
Oh btw I’m just using the Apollo as hardware only. I don’t use the DAW aspect of it or really the VSTs either. All the amps (stock, RE, VST) I use are in Reason.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

selig
RE Developer

16 May 2023

Glad you got it solved! Here's the deal - you have a few options how to track guitar direct.
One is to keep doing as you're doing and see how low you can get your buffer. I can get to 64 most of the time, or 128 reliably, which is pretty tight for the most part. But that's as good as you'll get when going that route.
If you want the super tight (low) latency, you'll need to monitor in Console as you were doing before (but NOT in Reason), and use a UA amp plugin when recording. From here you have two options. First, you can just record the amp, but you'll no longer have the DI to work with - great if you're used to 'committing'! Second option, you can set the insert to MON and you will HEAR the amp when playing BUT the clean signal is what will be recorded in Reason. After recording, you can put the same UA amp as an insert in Reason OR you can go back to your original amp of choice. Make sense?
So your options are:
1: monitor in Reason and accept some latency
2: monitor in Console and record the amp from Console in Reason
3: monitor in Console but record the clean DI in Reason.
Selig Audio, LLC

npinero1

17 May 2023

Selig is right. Are you putting the amp in the Reason Rack? If so you are hearing the clean signal from the Apollo Twin and the "Amped" version in Reason. The best way to get low latency is to use the amp, assuming it is a UAD Amp, in the UAD Console. Some of the UAD amps are amazing like the Marshall Silver Jubilee and the Diezel VH4. Plus this method will provide latency BELOW 2ms. You should also turn off monitoring in Reason because the Apollo Twin is way better for monitoring.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

• Information