Reason 12.6 Released (Apple Silicon, Offline Mode)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

09 Aug 2023

jaeproduced wrote:
06 Aug 2023
I believe it was stated that Reason 13 at this point is a No Go and that they would just continue with free updates for a while...Interesting to see what's next everything promise in Reason 12 has been finished.
I'd wager Reason 13 would be next, and 12 will just continue to get small bug fixes and performance improvements. As said, everything in the roadmap "plan" has been released in 12.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jaeproduced

10 Aug 2023

If Reason 13 comes with the option to save Rack Extension on external hard drives like Native Instruments Libraries that would be a game changer for me. Rack Extension are useless once you run our of internal hard drive space...

EnochLight

11 Aug 2023

jaeproduced wrote:
10 Aug 2023
Rack Extension are useless once you run out of internal hard drive space...
They're not if you just use simple symbolic links and move your RE content to whatever external drive you want...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Thousand Ways

02 Sep 2023

Since going with the Reason 12.6 update I've experienced problems when closing files and quitting. Very often it now gets stuck and can't quit; I have to force it to, which isn't great. This is on a Mac, OSX Ventura. I've never had this problem with Reason before, and I've been using it since 2005. Is this a known bug?

jaeproduced

02 Sep 2023

Thousand Ways wrote:
02 Sep 2023
Since going with the Reason 12.6 update I've experienced problems when closing files and quitting. Very often it now gets stuck and can't quit; I have to force it to, which isn't great. This is on a Mac, OSX Ventura. I've never had this problem with Reason before, and I've been using it since 2005. Is this a known bug?

Yeah it happens to me every other update it's very annoying....

Thousand Ways

02 Sep 2023

jaeproduced wrote:
02 Sep 2023
Yeah it happens to me every other update it's very annoying....
Ah, thanks. I'd thought that maybe my track was too large (it was about 400mb, later optimized to 200mb), or maybe because it contains lots of small samples from different sources. But it sounds like this just might be an ongoing problem.

moneykube

02 Sep 2023

Thousand Ways wrote:
02 Sep 2023
I am experiencing this oddity with the last update 12.6.2>It never happened before or with the last two 12.6 updates :shock:
I have been using Reason since Version 2.5. I started down the rabbit hole with Rebirth...
This never happened in all the versions I have installed through the years.
This is an annoying quirk that just started happening after the most recent update 12.6.2 :exclamation:
I hope this bug gets squished soon. I do not like to have to force quit any application. Generally this is something that is not good. I am using the Monterey OS on an intel computer(3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7), so it is not a Ventura OS thing or an apple silicon thing> Perhaps it is a Mac thing/bug though?> IDK
I am glad you brought it up. I was indeed wondering if others were experiencing this.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

joeyluck

02 Sep 2023

moneykube wrote:
02 Sep 2023
Thousand Ways wrote:
02 Sep 2023
I am experiencing this oddity with the last update 12.6.2>It never happened before or with the last two 12.6 updates :shock:
I have been using Reason since Version 2.5. I started down the rabbit hole with Rebirth...
This never happened in all the versions I have installed through the years.
This is an annoying quirk that just started happening after the most recent update 12.6.2 :exclamation:
I hope this bug gets squished soon. I do not like to have to force quit any application. Generally this is something that is not good. I am using the Monterey OS on an intel computer(3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7), so it is not a Ventura OS thing or an apple silicon thing> Perhaps it is a Mac thing/bug though?> IDK
I am glad you brought it up. I was indeed wondering if others were experiencing this.
Not having this issue here on Mac. Report it if you haven't.

Thousand Ways

02 Sep 2023

moneykube wrote:
02 Sep 2023
I hope this bug gets squished soon. I do not like to have to force quit any application.
Same here. Especially when the slow closing of the track makes it difficult to tell whether all of the latest changes have been properly saved.
moneykube wrote:
02 Sep 2023
I am using the Monterey OS on an intel computer(3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7), so it is not a Ventura OS thing or an apple silicon thing
That's interesting.

Who do we report it to? Reason Studios?

moneykube

02 Sep 2023

Thousand Ways wrote:
02 Sep 2023
moneykube wrote:
02 Sep 2023
I hope this bug gets squished soon. I do not like to have to force quit any application.
Same here. Especially when the slow closing of the track makes it difficult to tell whether all of the latest changes have been properly saved.
moneykube wrote:
02 Sep 2023
I am using the Monterey OS on an intel computer(3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7), so it is not a Ventura OS thing or an apple silicon thing
That's interesting.

Who do we report it to? Reason Studios?
yes... use contact them under support

moneykube

02 Sep 2023

joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2023
Not having this issue here on Mac. Report it if you haven't.
done... It has happened 4 times since the update... about 2/3rds of the times I have tried to quit out of perhaps eight to ten times. Seems happier if you quit from the menu instead of quitting from the sidebar icon quit option.
It also takes much longer to start up the program for some reason.
Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 6.29.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 6.29.31 PM.png (6.52 KiB) Viewed 9417 times

Thousand Ways

03 Sep 2023

Yep, I've submitted a request too, outlining the problem. Hopefully they'll provide an update to fix the bug soon.

joeyluck

03 Sep 2023

moneykube wrote:
02 Sep 2023
done... It has happened 4 times since the update... about 2/3rds of the times I have tried to quit out of perhaps eight to ten times. Seems happier if you quit from the menu instead of quitting from the sidebar icon quit option.
It also takes much longer to start up the program for some reason.
Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 6.29.31 PM.png
Thousand Ways wrote:
03 Sep 2023
Yep, I've submitted a request too, outlining the problem. Hopefully they'll provide an update to fix the bug soon.
:thumbup:

Have you considered joining the beta team? The beta version of Reason can be installed alongside the stable version.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/beta-test/signup

moneykube

03 Sep 2023

joeyluck wrote:
03 Sep 2023
Have you considered joining the beta team? The beta version of Reason can be installed alongside the stable version.
I did not know that was still a thing after two years... I had read in one thread, many applied and were still waiting, but that was some time ago. I suppose it's worth a shot. Thanks for the link.

joeyluck

03 Sep 2023

moneykube wrote:
03 Sep 2023
joeyluck wrote:
03 Sep 2023
I did not know that was still a thing after two years... I had read in one thread, many applied and were still waiting, but that was some time ago. I suppose it's worth a shot. Thanks for the link.
Yep! They announced it as an ongoing program a few years back.

So all the point updates have been tested by the beta team. I think there have been 19 updates so far for Reason 12! In the past, aside from major releases, most point updates were only tested internally. I think that's part of the reason why R12 is the most solid version of Reason. And many of the fixes are thanks to the reports of the beta testers. Lots of old bugs getting squashed.

Thousand Ways

07 Sep 2023

Reason Studios responded to me about the OS Ventura quitting problem with Reason 12.6.2. They said that they weren't aware of the problem (although I mentioned that other users of this forum have sent reports of it), and that I should download and install a "logging" version of Reason 12.6.2. They added:

"This version will install as a different application than your current Reason installation, and will leave your standard application unaffected. The plugin will be replaced by the logging version, though.

Please run this, re-create the problem/crash ,then compress and send us the Logs folders and we'll get back to you once the logs have been analyzed. You'll find the logs in
~/Library/Logs/Propellerhead Software/

The '~' user Library folder is hidden by default. To open it, press Option key while selecting Go from the menu in Finder, and then select Library. There you should be able to locate the Logs/Propellerhead Software/ folder.

After the troubleshooting is finished, download and install the non-logging version again (to revert to the non-logging version of the Reason Rack Plugin)"

This is far more hassle than I'd anticipated. My knowledge when it comes to uninstalling versions of this or that application is not great. It always feels, to me, as though uninstalling such things leaves bits of them lying in various folders, around taking up space, and potentially getting confused with replacement versions. So I have not done what they're suggesting. I really don't want two versions of Reason on my hard drive simultaneously, and to then have to pick apart which things are parts of which version after they've looked at the crash reports, after I've "compressed and sent" them.

I take it that there's no other solution to this problem?

joeyluck

07 Sep 2023

It really isn't a problem having them installed side by side.

I'm not encountering the issue you are having and sounds like other testers aren't either. So if you want to leave it alone and let it be what it is, that's up to you.

Getting them log files will hopefully help them to figure out the issue you are having so that they can maybe get it fixed. They are willing to look into it for you, you just have to help them help you.

Not sure what else can be done aside from chatting with other users who have the issue to see what you have in common in terms of system specs, plugins, etc. Could be a particular VST making things hang? Could be an audio device? Maybe a particular OS version? I think getting a log file will stand a better change of getting to the cause faster and more efficiently.

moneykube

08 Sep 2023

I think the install got corrupted somehow... I reinstalled the current reason and now it seems to again open quickly and close quickly without hanging. I do know the first try at the update failed... perhaps this screwed up the process... not sure.... anyway... hopefully this did it ! The times to open and close are night and day faster than my previous update install. :clap:
A quirk in the matrix I guess.Oh no... another glitch > posted the pictures once... hmmmm
Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.39.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.39.21 PM.png (112.73 KiB) Viewed 8876 times
Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.39.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.39.21 PM.png (112.73 KiB) Viewed 8876 times
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.43.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.43.52 PM.png (165.06 KiB) Viewed 8876 times

• Information