Reason 12.5.3 Released — Audio resets on patch change, Master section automation bug fix

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

30 Mar 2023

This is a hotfix to the very recently released 12.5.2

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes

Feature
  • Reason now resets the audio output of a device when you change the patch. This is to make sure the loaded patch sounds as expected right away and to avoid feedback, loud noises, or other unwanted sounds when changing patches
Bug Fix
  • Fixed a crash bug that occurred when attempting to automate the Master fader on the main mixer

Ottostrom

30 Mar 2023

I've now tried to download this update and the 5.2 several different times but right when the download reaches 100% I get this:

Got any advice? (I would like to avoid downloading it the old fashioned way)

Marc64

30 Mar 2023

Great that you put out the fixes fast like this master fader thigie cause that was frustrating :)

moalla

30 Mar 2023

only 45min download cool, faster than before :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

wereMole88

30 Mar 2023

Ottostrom wrote:
30 Mar 2023
I've now tried to download this update and the 5.2 several different times but right when the download reaches 100% I get this:

I have this constantly since R12 with every patch update. Eventually it just randomly pops up in the reason app (forgot the name) and then it works.

Loque

30 Mar 2023

Good they fixed the crash this quick.
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

30 Mar 2023

Ottostrom wrote:
30 Mar 2023

Check if an anti-virus programme might be messing with the download because it does not yet know the hash of this new installer/version.

gbuck

31 Mar 2023

Make sure that you have enough hard drive space. That happened to me many years ago.
I got on the forum early Thursday approximately 20 minutes after the update announcement, and so it took only 5 minutes to download and restart Reason. There probably wasn't a lot of server traffic at that time. Works almost perfectly for me now even though I didn't experience any bugs beforehand.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2023

I know a lot of people keep saying R12 works fine now. Still I regularly see people mentioning new bugs, problems and crashes with new R12 updates. It just seems for every new update/fix/feature some new bugs gets introduced. Is this the way things will be from now on? I know RS have been working hard to sort out a lot of bugs and that's great. But I can't help but feel we've entered a "release now, we'll fix it later" era. I'm simply not interested in being a paying beta tester, which is how I perceive it. I value stability over all else.

Until I see less of these bug reporting folks I'm sticking to R11.

crimsonwarlock

31 Mar 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Mar 2023
It just seems for every new update/fix/feature some new bugs gets introduced.
Regression bugs are a fact of software development life. And with software getting more complex with every new release, the chance for regression bugs goes up. Also, with a shorter release cycle (that everyone and their dog has been begging for years), the chance that bugs go undetected grows. Long release cycles facilitate longer testing periods. Shorter release cycles means we will see intermediate bug-fixes more often. The Open-Source community has this principle highly regarded: Release early, release often. The idea is exactly that giving the software to users as early as possible, will help to find bugs much faster than when just a small team of testers is trying to find problems.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

proteus69

31 Mar 2023

gbuck wrote:
31 Mar 2023
Make sure that you have enough hard drive space. That happened to me many years ago.
I got on the forum early Thursday approximately 20 minutes after the update announcement, and so it took only 5 minutes to download and restart Reason. There probably wasn't a lot of server traffic at that time. Works almost perfectly for me now even though I didn't experience any bugs beforehand.
+1
exactly what happened to me after downloading this update (and same error message received at the very end of the download).

popnapp

31 Mar 2023

This seems to be interesting for me:
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Mar 2023
I know a lot of people keep saying R12 works fine now.
This is the light side. Many people say something.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Mar 2023
Still I regularly see people mentioning new bugs, problems and crashes with new R12 updates. It just seems for every new update/fix/feature some new bugs gets introduced.
This is the dark side. Regularly people mention other things.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Mar 2023
Is this the way things will be from now on?
The decision for the dark side is already done here. The question asks simply: will the dark side stay?
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Mar 2023
... I'm sticking to R11.
I guess, this was your decision all the way through. The "facts" and the observation of what and how many people are saying seems to be merely the results of intentional filtering, just to let yourself stay with your decision and feel good about it.

I don't know. We all do that, I guess. Have a strong opinion and then observe the world in a way, that supports this opinion.

I'm new to this chat and just wanted to blurt this out, although I'm sure that everyone knows about this already. Sorry for the redundancy.
We all are either on the light side or on the dark side or somewhere in between. So why would I not want to see these kind of arguments in this forum all day? :)

So here is some profound arguments from a fan boy that is on the light side: I love Reason+, I think Reason is very stable in comparison to software standards. Was irritated last week, when I could not reload and continue with a saved song. What the hell? But I understand the inevitability of a mean bug here and there. Glad that Reason Studios is acting agile and fast. Hot fixing this within a week: Good job Reason Studios!

jam-s

31 Mar 2023

popnapp wrote:
31 Mar 2023
I don't know. We all do that, I guess. Have a strong opinion and then observe the world in a way, that supports this opinion.
Yes, we all do. It's called confirmation bias and has been known and studied for quite some time.

rorystorm

31 Mar 2023

moalla wrote:
30 Mar 2023
only 45min download cool, faster than before :thumbs_up:
Huh mine was incredibly fast, used to take a couple hours but this time was less than five minutes.

DaveyG

31 Mar 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Mar 2023
But I can't help but feel we've entered a "release now, we'll fix it later" era.
Welcome to agile software development. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ottostrom

31 Mar 2023

gbuck wrote:
31 Mar 2023
Oh you're right, I should make sure I have enough space!
I forgot that this probably downloads to my C drive which is small and only supposed to host the OS. Thanks :)

kuhliloach

31 Mar 2023

It seems like the issues in Logic on the latest macOS are either improved or totally fixed! May this statement not jinx anything! Plugin-Alliance is the only family of plug-ins left that has this crashing behavior in Logic. Meaning, the RRP instance can be moved around and re-opened without Logic crashing. I think.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2023

popnapp wrote:
31 Mar 2023
I guess, this was your decision all the way through. The "facts" and the observation of what and how many people are saying seems to be merely the results of intentional filtering, just to let yourself stay with your decision and feel good about it.

I'm new to this chat and just wanted to blurt this out, although I'm sure that everyone knows about this already. Sorry for the redundancy.
We all are either on the light side or on the dark side or somewhere in between. So why would I not want to see these kind of arguments in this forum all day? :)

So here is some profound arguments from a fan boy that is on the light side: I love Reason+, I think Reason is very stable in comparison to software standards. Was irritated last week, when I could not reload and continue with a saved song. What the hell? But I understand the inevitability of a mean bug here and there. Glad that Reason Studios is acting agile and fast. Hot fixing this within a week: Good job Reason Studios!
I guess I just felt like doing a bit of ranting and thinking out loud. The thing is I didn't use to have these pessimistic feelings regarding Reason upgrades. I've upgraded most of the times in the past and been pretty happy about it. But I feel a differently about the R12 release, because of these recurring reports on bugs, crashes and other problems. I would have hoped it would stop at this point. This is not normal for Reason standards. So something has definetely changed with this latest release.
I may be biased and have somewhat made up my mind like you say, but at the same time I'm mostly hoping someone can convince me my fears are exaggerated. But your example about not being able to reload and continue with a saved song doesn't exactly change that. It's the sort of thing I'm trying to stay away from as much as possible. And your example is coming from someone who considers to be Reason 12 as fairly stable.

In the end I believe both those who say R12 works pretty damn flawlessly, but also those who report on having issues. Basically I feel upgrading is a gamble.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 31 Mar 2023, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Mar 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Mar 2023
It just seems for every new update/fix/feature some new bugs gets introduced.
Regression bugs are a fact of software development life. And with software getting more complex with every new release, the chance for regression bugs goes up. Also, with a shorter release cycle (that everyone and their dog has been begging for years), the chance that bugs go undetected grows. Long release cycles facilitate longer testing periods. Shorter release cycles means we will see intermediate bug-fixes more often. The Open-Source community has this principle highly regarded: Release early, release often. The idea is exactly that giving the software to users as early as possible, will help to find bugs much faster than when just a small team of testers is trying to find problems.
Yes you're probably right. I guess I preferred it the old way then. Longer release cycles but more stable software.

hamsterfactor

01 Apr 2023

I'm hearing more instances of unwanted noise while flipping thru patches now. Louder, too. Rotor is a good example.

This can't only be happening to me.
joeyluck wrote:
30 Mar 2023
  • Reason now resets the audio output of a device when you change the patch. This is to make sure the loaded patch sounds as expected right away and to avoid feedback, loud noises, or other unwanted sounds when changing patches
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2023

DaveyG wrote:
31 Mar 2023
Welcome to agile software development. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, nothing in Agile says you have to have an unstable release-branch.

You can develop with Agile and have an unstable-branch while also keeping a separate stable-release-branch.

Keeping the main release-branch unstable is a terrible misunderstanding of what agile is.
Last edited by avasopht on 01 Apr 2023, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

01 Apr 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Mar 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Mar 2023

Yes you're probably right. I guess I preferred it the old way then. Longer release cycles but more stable software.
To be fair, it's simply that none of the beta testers experienced the bug, probably because none of the beta testers automate the master fader. I don't. 12.5.2 works perfectly fine for me :) They could've ran the beta for months and months and I would've never automated the master fader.

I highly recommend to anybody here who is eager to update as soon as an update is available, who is enthusiastic enough about a piece of software to be a member of a forum about that software, to join the beta. We all have different computers and workflows. You can have the beta channel and the stable channel installed with no issues. I always have. I prefer to test because I want Reason to run the best it can for me.

Also, you can always wait to update. If you prefer longer release cycles, then you can create that space yourself :) Or join the beta and get a head start on discovering things that might affect your workflow. I prefer the more rapid updates and am very happy to have the device filters.

joeyluck

01 Apr 2023

hamsterfactor wrote:
01 Apr 2023
I'm hearing more instances of unwanted noise while flipping thru patches now. Louder, too. Rotor is a good example.

This can't only be happening to me.
joeyluck wrote:
30 Mar 2023
I'm not experiencing that here. Do you have an example of what you're hearing? Is this just flipping through Rotor patches? Or is it flipping from other devices to and from Rotor? What is your audio device and audio settings?

• Information