every track has combinator after upgrade

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Last Alternative

24 Mar 2023

Just switched from R11 to 12. Maybe I missed something about what's involved. I immediately was shocked at the hi res! But I also see that every single track has a combinator inside it now. I don't like there to be devices I don't need so is there a setting or way to reverse that so I don't have to go thru every track and delete/reroute?
And what is the purpose behind RS doing that?
Attachments
auto-combi.png
auto-combi.png (492.58 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Loque

24 Mar 2023

The mix channel container macros was removed and it's replaced by a Combinator when used.
Reason12, Win10

BRIGGS

24 Mar 2023

Build a custom template, then you can do whatever you want.
r11s

Last Alternative

24 Mar 2023

Ohhh ok. And did you guys notice the mixer knobs are off kilter? They aren't top dead center ha!
Attachments
offset.png
offset.png (122.54 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

cocoazenith

25 Mar 2023

I really miss the mix channel macros. They provided a faster workflow (at least for me) and being integrated into the mix channel rack did not take as much screen space as having a Combinator on my 21-inch iMac.

syncanonymous

26 Mar 2023

big mistake IMO

channel inserts reflect real-life console designs

adding another layer of a screen hogging device is recipe for disaster in old jobs

this has me concerned to "upgrade" if all my channel inserts are gonna find themselves in a combinator
I can forsee some benefits...but still...no a good move far as I can tell
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

crimsonwarlock

26 Mar 2023

You don't need a combinator in the channel inserts. You can simply un-combine them. The combinator is only there if you load an older project, to preserve macro mappings if there are any.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Loque

26 Mar 2023

syncanonymous wrote:
26 Mar 2023
big mistake IMO

adding another layer of a screen hogging device is recipe for disaster in old jobs

this has me concerned to "upgrade" if all my channel inserts are gonna find themselves in a combinator
TBH, i nver understood why Propellerheads has added a container like the Combinator with all its controls and stuff just for a Mix channel. I barly used it. Same functionality with a different look. Only waste of learning time.

A Combinator does the exact same from my POV. It is good, that they removed it. This step also made totaly sense with the new Combinator. Or shall they provide the same functionality again, just in a different look?

If you realy, i mean realy, need the same for every Mix Chanel and miss the old look, make a Combinator2 and drop it below each Mix Channel.

But hey, you cannot please every customer.
Reason12, Win10

syncanonymous

26 Mar 2023

Loque wrote:
26 Mar 2023
syncanonymous wrote:
26 Mar 2023
big mistake IMO

TBH, i nver understood why Propellerheads has added a container like the Combinator with all its controls and stuff just for a Mix channel. I barly used it. Same functionality with a different look. Only waste of learning time.

A Combinator does the exact same from my POV. It is good, that they removed it. This step also made totaly sense with the new Combinator. Or shall they provide the same functionality again, just in a different look?

If you realy, i mean realy, need the same for every Mix Chanel and miss the old look, make a Combinator2 and drop it below each Mix Channel.

no, I see the point
yet old work will have the inserts replaced with nested combinators, ugh
I got some old songs that still need to be mixed...
my work can be long time afore final product is released

this move does seem like it comes from a software dev POV
rather than virtual instrument maker

I'm sure it isn't as big a deal as I'm making out
I don't have 12 yet

Loque

26 Mar 2023

syncanonymous wrote:
26 Mar 2023
Loque wrote:
26 Mar 2023

no, I see the point

I don't have 12 yet
You can also still use R11 if you like, until you finished your old tracks.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

26 Mar 2023

There is one thing different, and that’s the ability to see the four combi knobs and buttons from the Mixer View.
One issue now is that there are not always just four knobs and four buttons in a combinator.
The tradeoff is you can now place as many Combinators in the insert as you like, something that was impossible before. So you have more than 4 knobs/buttons to deal with, but you ALSO have multiple Combinators to deal with (which knobs and which Combinators do you display in the Mixer VIew?).

I didn’t use this feature often at all, but I still wish they had ADDED functionality rather than TRADED functionality. The only thing I can think of they would have had to drop is the ability to drag a Combinator into the insert and have it apply to the mixer knobs, for the reasons listed above. But otherwise, many folks found having user programmable knobs in the Mixer View to be handy.
Selig Audio, LLC

syncanonymous

26 Mar 2023

Loque wrote:
26 Mar 2023
syncanonymous wrote:
26 Mar 2023

no, I see the point

I don't have 12 yet
I don't own R11

Loque

26 Mar 2023

syncanonymous wrote:
26 Mar 2023
Loque wrote:
26 Mar 2023

I don't own R11
So...where do your old somgs come from?
Reason12, Win10

syncanonymous

26 Mar 2023

Loque wrote:
26 Mar 2023
syncanonymous wrote:
26 Mar 2023

I don't own R11
So...where do your old somgs come from?
The somgs I speak of were created in RSN10
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

cocoazenith

26 Mar 2023

Because I like to keep stuff organized and my sequencer as tidy as possible my main gripe with the removal of Audio Track macros is the following:

Automating the new insert Combinator knobs creates a totally separate track from the target audio track in the sequencer (separated by two gray tracks dividers, has a device icon etc. etc.). It takes up screen space and when working with many tracks I find it confusing not having a clear hierarchy. Which leads me to the reason I loved the old macros.

Automating the old macros created automation sub-tracks that were part of target audio track. There was a clear visual hierarchical order between the Audio track and these Automation lanes. No two gray dividers taking up space. No icons. Just like automating a parameter inside a RE or VST is now.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2023

Man that's annoying. I personally really don't like working with combinators. I avoid them as much as possible and only use them when I absolutely have to. The thought of having Reason insert those big annoying things automatically is a huge turn off for sure.
I'm still on R11 and it looks like it's gonna be quite a while before I upgrade again. They are gonna have to include something pretty damn special in future releases to get me onboard to upgrade.
Luckily for me, I'm one of the few who are pretty content with how the DAW works already, at least with R11. I don't need much DAW improvements. I'm more interested whenever new devices gets released. And most of those I can buy seperately. Wish I could buy Mimic though. The rest in R12 I could care less about.

BRIGGS

27 Mar 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
24 Mar 2023
Ohhh ok. And did you guys notice the mixer knobs are off kilter? They aren't top dead center ha!
...and on the SSL modules in the rack....the knobs look too big an off, too.

Seems like, not much attention was paid to the SSL stuff.
r11s

Steedus
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2023

There's so many tiny things baffling things about the HD update. I was going to do a "death by a thousand visual cuts" thread, but everyone was so negative at the time, I didn't want to add to it - as at the end of the day they are just nit-picks.

• Information