Reason 12.5.2 Released — Device filters in browser, VST3 dynamic properties & bug fixes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

22 Mar 2023

www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates/release-notes

• New device filters in the browser
    • You can now filter the browser view by device format (Rack Extensions, VST2, and VST3)
    • Duplicate VST2 plug-ins, a VST2 that has the same name and manufacturer as a VST3 you have installed, are now hidden in the browser by default
    • Duplicate VST2 plug-ins can still be viewed by enabling the “Duplicates” filter button or by searching
  • Added support for dynamic properties in VST3 hosting, that allows for additional automatable parameters in certain VST3 plugins
  • Fixed a bug related to max number of automatable parameters which would result in audible glitches when certain VSTs were added, or when opening patches
  • Fixed a bug where Apple Logic freezes when unloading the Reason Rack Plugin

Filter Plugin Type.png
Filter Plugin Type.png (151.22 KiB) Viewed 7460 times

joeyluck

22 Mar 2023

I can now use Fiedler-Audio's Spacelab fully in Reason! Before having support for dynamic properties, there was no way to automate the parameters.

It's also worth noting that if your workflow includes using the Create menu, the selections you make to the device filters in the browser are reflected in the Create menu, which is very handy. And these just act as filters, so hiding certain plugin types doesn't disable them—projects that use them will still load them. Your selections are also remembered. The Duplicates button will only appear if you have both VST2 and VST3 selected. Built-in devices is now merged under the Reason Studios header and is now alphabetical.

dan_g

22 Mar 2023

sounds like a really nice point release!
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Arpeg
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2023

Just about to d/l.. Thanks for the important extra info, Joey.

Heater

22 Mar 2023

A nice update.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2023

joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2023
I can now use Fiedler-Audio's Spacelab fully in Reason! Before having support for dynamic properties, there was no way to automate the parameters.

It's also worth noting that if your workflow includes using the Create menu, the selections you make to the device filters in the browser are reflected in the Create menu, which is very handy. And these just act as filters, so hiding certain plugin types doesn't disable them—projects that use them will still load them. Your selections are also remembered. The Duplicates button will only appear if you have both VST2 and VST3 selected. Built-in devices is now merged under the Reason Studios header and is now alphabetical.
Great feature. If you filter duplicates does it default to VST3?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

22 Mar 2023

MrFigg wrote:
22 Mar 2023
joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2023

Yes, as described in the notes. When both VST2 and VST3 are selected, the Duplicates button is presented. When Duplicates is unselected, duplicate VST2 plugins are hidden in favor of showing the VST3 version.

There are some cases where a dev has named a VST3 plugin differently than the VST2, or published a VST3 under a different dev name (e.g. "Native Instruments" vs. "Native Instruments GmbH"), so those plugins which might technically be duplicates, still show. Maybe there will be more improvements? But for the most part, it works well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2023

joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2023
MrFigg wrote:
22 Mar 2023

Yes, as described in the notes. When both VST2 and VST3 are selected, the Duplicates button is presented. When Duplicates is unselected, duplicate VST2 plugins are hidden in favor of showing the VST3 version.

There are some cases where a dev has named a VST3 plugin differently than the VST2, or published a VST3 under a different dev name (e.g. "Native Instruments" vs. "Native Instruments GmbH"), so those plugins which might technically be duplicates, still show. Maybe there will be more improvements? But for the most part, it works well.
That’s great. Thanks. I recently loaded up a song I’d done with a couple of VST2s but because I’d removed them in favour of VST3s and didn’t want both showing in the browser I couldn’t use the song. Being able to filter duplicates is brilliant.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ProfessaKaos

22 Mar 2023

MrFigg wrote:
22 Mar 2023
joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2023

That’s great. Thanks. I recently loaded up a song I’d done with a couple of VST2s but because I’d removed them in favour of VST3s and didn’t want both showing in the browser I couldn’t use the song. Being able to filter duplicates is brilliant.
Cool new feature, sort of sucks though that it doesn't work in Favourites/Custom folders.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

PhillipOrdonez

22 Mar 2023

Nice!!!

npinero1

22 Mar 2023

So far running smoothly. Awesome update!! Thank you Reason Studios!!!

However quick question: Is this the version optimized for new Apple Silicon M1 computers?

I am fine if they are taking time to make sure it is right because so far this is running really smooth for now but I wanted to make sure that I shouldn't switch from Rosetta to M1 yet.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

joeyluck

22 Mar 2023

npinero1 wrote:
22 Mar 2023
So far running smoothly. Awesome update!! Thank you Reason Studios!!!

However quick question: Is this the version optimized for new Apple Silicon M1 computers?

I am fine if they are taking time to make sure it is right because so far this is running really smooth for now but I wanted to make sure that I shouldn't switch from Rosetta to M1 yet.
No, this version does not offer native support for Apple Silicon M1/M2. When Reason receives that update, it will most definitely be a bullet point in their release notes :)

moneykube

23 Mar 2023

onward and upward :reason:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

bigguy1

23 Mar 2023

VST3 of Spectrasonics plugins (Omnisphere, Trilian, Keyscape) will let you automate parameters now. Nice!

eusti

23 Mar 2023

Wow! I already had issues getting Emvoice to run in the previous version. Now it forgot the registration details and doesn't even want to register any more... Way to go! :P Again not too impressed... I guess I will have to spend more time complaining to both supports hoping that someone cares enough to address things...

kurtg

23 Mar 2023

A very nice release ! Great job ! Looking forward to m1 beta release.

ltbrunt00

23 Mar 2023

I hope one day we can fully automate using Reason Sound Paint and Modo Bass 1 & 2.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

23 Mar 2023

Other than that Reason is stable as usual. No issues with the application itself.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

StephenHutchinson

24 Mar 2023

Anyone else getting all of the Reason Studios devices in alphabetical order rather than the "Built-in Devices"... "Reason Studios" folders? In fact... Effects, Utilities, and Players all seem to be in alphabetical order, on all my computers. Is there a way to get it back to normal?
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

deeplink
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2023

StephenHutchinson wrote:
24 Mar 2023
Anyone else getting all of the Reason Studios devices in alphabetical order rather than the "Built-in Devices"... "Reason Studios" folders? In fact... Effects, Utilities, and Players all seem to be in alphabetical order, on all my computers. Is there a way to get it back to normal?
This is intentional.

RS now puts all their devices (whether Built-In or RE) and sorts it in A-Z order, this is similar to how Reason (and all other DAWs) sort VSTs.

It's a bit jarring at first but simply takes some time getting used to.

No way to revert just this change, without reverting back to the previous update.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2023

StephenHutchinson wrote:
24 Mar 2023
My Reason built in devices are at the top in a folder called Reason Studios. My RS REs are in the same folder.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

StephenHutchinson

24 Mar 2023

deeplink wrote:
24 Mar 2023
StephenHutchinson wrote:
24 Mar 2023
This is intentional.

RS now puts all their devices (whether Built-In or RE) and sorts it in A-Z order, this is similar to how Reason (and all other DAWs) sort VSTs.

It's a bit jarring at first but simply takes some time getting used to.

No way to revert just this change, without reverting back to the previous update.

Ok thanks, glad to know it's not just me. I do like alphabetical order but it kinda took me by surprise.

StephenHutchinson

24 Mar 2023

MrFigg wrote:
24 Mar 2023
StephenHutchinson wrote:
24 Mar 2023
My Reason built in devices are at the top in a folder called Reason Studios. My RS REs are in the same folder.
I guess they're trying to have everything handy rather than two separate folders... it kinda makes sense.

reasonwhy

24 Mar 2023

Korg Triton VST3 still crashes the software

joeyluck

24 Mar 2023

reasonwhy wrote:
24 Mar 2023
Korg Triton VST3 still crashes the software
Triton and Triton Extreme VST3 work fine here. I'm on macOS.

Any steps to cause the crash?

• Information