Help Please:RE: Reason SSD NVME Hard Drives Mac

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
npinero1

03 Mar 2023

I am working remotely with my MacBook M1 Pro and I wanted to make sure my hard drive setup was optimized so that I minimize a crash. I was hoping someone smarter than me here could provide insights on which drive should be the fastest in order of importance based on how Reason works with sound files, MIDI etc.

I upgraded the internal SSD Hard Drive to 2TB and the memory up to 32GB RAM
  • MacBook Pro 2TB Internal Drive houses the Reason program and a few sounds
    OWC Thunderbolt 3 2TB SSD NVME holds all of my Refills and sound libraries and MIDI files for various virtual instruments like Superior Drummer and Kontakt 7
    1TB SSD NVME Drive with song projects
    1TB TRANSCEND SD Card for Cache files
L

Ive purchased various brands of SSD NVME drives over the ;fast 2 years during holiday specials inclusive of Seagate, WD and Corsair for my Mac.
If you had to prioritize how you want to work with Reason relative to SSD Drives how would you determine which drive should be the Fastest, Medium, Slow based on Sounds, Songs, Cache (Memory Management)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

kitekrazy

03 Mar 2023

Confused about this.
I don't see where any of this would be a problem.

iTrensharo

05 Mar 2023

I don't see a point in getting a laptop to attach this many dongles to it.

I have a laptop with a 2TB NVMe in it, and it has over 715GB of free storage after installing:

Cubase/Dorico/WaveLab/SpectraLayers Pro
Absolute 6
Komplete 13 UCE + Maschine + extras
Most of iZotope
V Collection + FX Collection + Pigments + extras
Office 365
Resolve + Fusion Studio
Reason 12 and about 8GB of third party REs and ReFills
Various other things...

2TB goes a long way, and the cost if the extra SSDs and enclosure could probably pay for an upgrade to 4TB.

Ditch the SD Card. They are known to be volatile when used heavily. That part is definitely not worth it.

Are you just trying to occupy every port on the machine simple cause they exist or something?

No point going to 2TB if you're going to use the machine like it has a 256GB SSD.

npinero1

05 Mar 2023

I appreciate you responding.
I am only trying to distribute the various files that are used on a Reason song into different drives so that I am not relying on any single drive.

The various files used in any Reason project are:
- Application
- Refills
- Samples
- Virtual Instrument Files
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

• Information