Drum tracks stll playing despite being muted

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Who?

03 Mar 2023

Hi

I'm working on a song and have been using Blocks.
In one of my blocks some Redrum drum tracks are still playing despite being muted in the sequencer. The top 3 Redrum tracks are all audible. Also, the Redrum at the bottom of the sequence is audible:
reason1.jpg
reason1.jpg (205.34 KiB) Viewed 295 times
I have another block and those drum parts are muted as they should be.
This is driving me mad! I must have missed something simple?

Any advise appreciated :)
Reason 12 / Win 10

deeplink
Competition Winner

03 Mar 2023

Perhaps they're still being triggered by ReDrum's onboard step sequencer, or perhaps a player device attached to that ReDrum?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Who?

03 Mar 2023

deeplink wrote:
03 Mar 2023
Perhaps they're still being triggered by ReDrum's onboard step sequencer, or perhaps a player device attached to that ReDrum?
Thanks for the reply, but there are no players attached to them and the step sequencer is off. I have another Block in this song with a seemingly identical setup - same drums etc. but the mute is working in that block. Weird.
Reason 12 / Win 10

selig
RE Developer

03 Mar 2023

Can’t tell much from that screen shot, but I’d start with basic trouble shooting techniques. Start at the top of the signal chain, in this case one of the ReDrums that is making sound. There are three ways ReDrum can make sound: Notes from a note track, notes from CV, notes from the built in sequencer. Figure out which is happening in this case, try using the process of elimination. Check not only the signal path of the notes (where is the source, etc) but also of the audio - what can be done to mute the sound when it’s happening? Do you see the channel play buttons lighting up? What happens when you mute one of those channels? What happens when you solo the track in the sequencer? Dig deep, gather data/facts.

For more help here, maybe try a video and make sure to show all of the window. For example, we can’t see the Blocks track in your screen shot. Might be helpful to also show the mixer or rack views and any cabling that may affect things, as well as the Blocks view of the bock in question. This is a mystery that should be able to be fairly easily solved I would think!
Selig Audio, LLC

Who?

03 Mar 2023

Thanks for the replies.

I've sorted it out, but still don't know why it happened. The sounds were being triggered by the sequencer. It was as if there were two identical layers in each of the drum tracks. I unmuted, then deleted the notes, but there appeared to be another layer under it. So, having deleted the 'top' layer I then muted and it worked.
Reason 12 / Win 10

selig
RE Developer

03 Mar 2023

Who? wrote:
03 Mar 2023
Thanks for the replies.

I've sorted it out, but still don't know why it happened. The sounds were being triggered by the sequencer. It was as if there were two identical layers in each of the drum tracks. I unmuted, then deleted the notes, but there appeared to be another layer under it. So, having deleted the 'top' layer I then muted and it worked.
Glad you got it sorted. It happens from time to time to me too, where somehow I end up with duplicate clips or notes on top of each other. Very confusing when it happens, until you figure it out!
Selig Audio, LLC

Who?

03 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
03 Mar 2023
Who? wrote:
03 Mar 2023
Thanks for the replies.

Glad you got it sorted. It happens from time to time to me too, where somehow I end up with duplicate clips or notes on top of each other. Very confusing when it happens, until you figure it out!
All part of the fun I guess :D
Reason 12 / Win 10

• Information