Studio One Reason and Chord Sequencer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JosephHanna

23 Feb 2023

Has anyone had any luck with using Reason 12 as a plug-in in Studio One, or Pro Tools using the Chord Sequencer and internal synths? In other words, just the Sequencer and say, for example, Spitfire Strings. Obviously, I can use the Chord Sequencer and Spitfire in Reason, but not the other way around in Studio One/Pro Tools. I've seen some youtube videos that demo'd it working in older versions but that routing apparently is no longer viable.

Also and while I'm askin' questions :) In Reason, the Chord Sequencer allows one to print the actual midi chords to the track as a lane. Is there some workaround, when using Reason as a plug-in in Studio One, that would allow me to get the actual midi data chords to a midi track? That of course would solve the above problem.

Any thoughts?

freshkidblaze

23 Feb 2023

You're in Studio One 6?

DaveyG

23 Feb 2023

Studio One with Reason as a plugin is my normal setup. Put Reason in a track, say track 1. Put Chord Sequencer and the MIDI out device in the Reason plugin. Then add any number of instrument tracks in S1 and set their input to "Reason Rack Plugin". You can drive any S1 or VST synth and/or record the MIDI output from Chord Sequencer, but you do have to record it in real-time. It works in Studio One V4, V5 and V6.

JosephHanna

23 Feb 2023

DaveyG wrote:
23 Feb 2023
Studio One with Reason as a plugin is my normal setup. Put Reason in a track, say track 1. Put Chord Sequencer and the MIDI out device in the Reason plugin. Then add any number of instrument tracks in S1 and set their input to "Reason Rack Plugin". You can drive any S1 or VST synth and/or record the MIDI output from Chord Sequencer, but you do have to record it in real-time. It works in Studio One V4, V5 and V6.
Thanks for the quick reply DaveyG. That's what I "think" I've been doing and it certainly seems logical. It also is the same routing I've seen in YouTube videos.

I've probably got something tangled but here's what I'm doing:

1) Instantiate Reason as a plug-in in Studio One. The output of that track = Reason plug-in. The input of that track=Arturia Keylab. Edit GR=none. Layer=Reason rack.

2) Then instantiate Spitfire (or any synth) on an instrument track. The output of that track=Spitfire. The input=Reason Rack. The Edit GR=none. Layer=Spitfire.

Both tracks are armed for record but....nothing.

Do you by chance see my mistake here?

JosephHanna

23 Feb 2023

freshkidblaze wrote:
23 Feb 2023
You're in Studio One 6?
Thanks for the quick get-back. Yep, the latest version of Studio One 6.

DaveyG

23 Feb 2023

JosephHanna wrote:
23 Feb 2023
DaveyG wrote:
23 Feb 2023
Thanks for the quick reply DaveyG. That's what I "think" I've been doing and it certainly seems logical. It also is the same routing I've seen in YouTube videos.

1) Instantiate Reason as a plug-in in Studio One. The output of that track = Reason plug-in. The input of that track=Arturia Keylab. Edit GR=none. Layer=Reason rack.

2) Then instantiate Spitfire (or any synth) on an instrument track. The output of that track=Spitfire. The input=Reason Rack. The Edit GR=none. Layer=Spitfire.

Nothing is leaping out at me. The usual gotcha is forgetting to arm or monitor the instrument track(s) but you've done that. The Layers and Groups are a bit of a distraction. You don't need those to make it work but they shouldn't stop it working either.

When you click on a chord pad in Chord Sequencer you should see stuff on the activity meter on the Spitfire track and when you press a key on the Keylab you should see stuff on the activity meters of both tracks. (Activity meters are the vertical orange/brown bargraphs on the right of each track header.)

Do you have any other VSTs that generate MIDI that you could try? Maybe Scaler 2 or Cthulhu?

JosephHanna

23 Feb 2023

DaveyG wrote:
23 Feb 2023
JosephHanna wrote:
23 Feb 2023

Nothing is leaping out at me. The usual gotcha is forgetting to arm or monitor the instrument track(s) but you've done that. The Layers and Groups are a bit of a distraction. You don't need those to make it work but they shouldn't stop it working either.

When you click on a chord pad in Chord Sequencer you should see stuff on the activity meter on the Spitfire track and when you press a key on the Keylab you should see stuff on the activity meters of both tracks. (Activity meters are the vertical orange/brown bargraphs on the right of each track header.)

Do you have any other VSTs that generate MIDI that you could try? Maybe Scaler 2 or Cthulhu?
I see no activity at all on either track when armed for record. Both when touching the Key lab or clicking on the Chord Sequencer's buttons. If I reconfigure Spitfire it responds to midi and plays audio as expected. If I add a synth to the Reason Rack it responds to midi, the chord sequencer, and the synth.

Yep, I've tried many VST synths and the behavior is always the same. I do have Scaler 2 and Cthulhu and they work as you'd expect. It's a curiosity for sure!

JosephHanna

23 Feb 2023

I wanna amend things just a bit. Not that I think it'll matter much but I just re-checked with my Pro Tools rig and it works just fine. It really is a simple, fundamental type routing. It's just Studio One that's being a stick-in-the-mud.

jam-s

23 Feb 2023

Have you really added the Midi-Out device into the virtual rack of your Reason plugin instance? Maybe you could share a screenshot of it (front+back).

JosephHanna

23 Feb 2023

jam-s wrote:
23 Feb 2023
Have you really added the Midi-Out device into the virtual rack of your Reason plugin instance? Maybe you could share a screenshot of it (front+back).
Yes to both. The midi out plug-in loads automatically with, and when you instantiate the Chord Sequencer. I tried deleting the midi out plug-in and re-instantiating it just in case. No luck. I can take a screenshot this evening!

DaveyG

24 Feb 2023

JosephHanna wrote:
23 Feb 2023

I see no activity at all on either track when armed for record. Both when touching the Key lab or clicking on the Chord Sequencer's buttons.
That's really strange. If the activity meter on the Spitfire track is showing activity then that means that midi is arriving at that track. So it should play something unless the notes are out of the playable range for the Spitfire instrument (or maybe in a key switch zone).

Try recording for a few bars whilst you play on the key lab and/or click on the chord seq pads. Do you get any notes in the piano roll? I guess you could try other Reason players instead of the Chord Sequencer but I can't imagine it will be any different.

I'm a bit stumped. In Studio One I routinely use all manner of MIDI VSTs, including Reason with players, and I've never had a problem. I've even chained different Reason players together like that with each in its own instance of the RRP so I can record the intermediate MIDI.

Edit: When you are doing your screen shots, drag the track heights so they are taller and show the output and input settings for each track. It's going to niggle away at me this one. :x

JosephHanna

24 Feb 2023

DaveyG wrote:
24 Feb 2023
JosephHanna wrote:
23 Feb 2023

I see no activity at all on either track when armed for record. Both when touching the Key lab or clicking on the Chord Sequencer's buttons.
That's really strange. If the activity meter on the Spitfire track is showing activity then that means that midi is arriving at that track. So it should play something unless the notes are out of the playable range for the Spitfire instrument (or maybe in a key switch zone).

Try recording for a few bars whilst you play on the key lab and/or click on the chord seq pads. Do you get any notes in the piano roll? I guess you could try other Reason players instead of the Chord Sequencer but I can't imagine it will be any different.

I'm a bit stumped. In Studio One I routinely use all manner of MIDI VSTs, including Reason with players, and I've never had a problem. I've even chained different Reason players together like that with each in its own instance of the RRP so I can record the intermediate MIDI.

Edit: When you are doing your screen shots, drag the track heights so they are taller and show the output and input settings for each track. It's going to niggle away at me this one. :x
Here ya go! I sure hope you guys can spot something,

https://donmackie.smugmug.com/Screen-Shots

iTrensharo

02 Mar 2023

Put only the player in the rack and then route the midi from that instrument track to the instrument track with Spitfire Strings.

Basically, you use it the same way you'd use a plug-in like Scaler 2.

This works in Studio One 6 Professional (Windows 11). I JUST checked it.

JosephHanna

02 Mar 2023

iTrensharo wrote:
02 Mar 2023
Put only the player in the rack and then route the midi from that instrument track to the instrument track with Spitfire Strings.

Thank you iTrnsharo. I think that's what I'm doing. If you get the time please check the screenshot I provided a while back. This seems so fundamental and works like a charm in Pro Tools but it just is a no-go in Studio One. Perhaps I've made a mis-cue in routing but if I have, I sure can't see it.

Just for the record here's what I'm doing:

1) Instantiate Reason as a plug-in in Studio One. Call up the Chord Sequencer. The Chord Sequencer, by default, brings in a midi channel. The output of that track = Reason plug-in. The input of that track=Arturia Keylab. Edit GR=none. Layer=Reason rack.

JosephHanna

02 Mar 2023

iTrensharo wrote:
02 Mar 2023

BTW: Scaler works just fine as you described

DaveyG

02 Mar 2023

Yeah, sorry JH. I completely forgot about this thread. Your screenshots look fine. I can't see anything wrong and the fact that Scaler works means you are doing everything right. I'm out of ideas.

You could try tech support at RS and Presonus but they will probably just blame each other.

JosephHanna

03 Mar 2023

DaveyG wrote:
02 Mar 2023
Yeah, sorry JH. I completely forgot about this thread. Your screenshots look fine. I can't see anything wrong and the fact that Scaler works means you are doing everything right. I'm out of ideas.

You could try tech support at RS and Presonus but they will probably just blame each other.
No worries. I'm appreciative of the help!

JosephHanna

06 Mar 2023

The problem is solved, or at least understood. In the relatively slim chance others might encounter this weirdness I'd offer, first and foremost the "bug" is in Studio One. (I think?)

I run my rig through a Tascam Model 16 which is an analog mixer with a 16 i/o interface on board. In so I don't use the Master Fader in Studio One, rather each track is routed out individually to the Tascam.

Reason Chord Sequencer and Spitfire were always routed correctly as many mentioned here. It's the Studio One Mix section where the anomalies begin. I had Spitfire audio outs in Studio One going to 3 and 4 in of the Tascam. However, for some reason, when I armed the 2 Instrument tracks, Studio One would auto-change the Spitfire output from 3 and 4 to Main Out. That of course cuts off audio since I don't have anything routed out the Mains of Studio One. That auto-change is difficult to spot if you're not staring right at it. Switching back to 3 and 4 out seems to solve the problem. Interestingly enough that behavior is only with Reason Rack. Scaler does not exhibit that bug.

shropshirelad

27 Mar 2023

I've just upgraded to Studio One 6 after having been in Logic for a while. I'm experiencing the same issue - Scaler 2 works without issue. I'm not using an external mixer, so I'm completely stumped. Has anyone, apart from the OP, got this working in Studio One?

• Information