Who would you prefer to acquire Reason Studios?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Who would you prefer to acquire Reason Studios?

Poll ended at 23 Feb 2023

Inmusic (AKAI, Alesis, Air, BFD, Sonivox, M-Audio)
1%
Soundwide (Native Instruments, iZotope, Plugin Alliance, Brainworx)
4%
Yamaha (Steinberg, Line 6)
9%
Presonus (Studio One, Splice)
10%
IK Multimedia (Sampletank, T-Racks, Amplitude)
No votes
Image-Line (FL Studio, UVI)
3%
Apple (Logic, Garage Band)
21%
Bitwig
12%
Ableton (Live, Max4Live)
9%
EastWest (EWQL, and others)
No votes
Spectrasonics (Omnisphere)
No votes
Avid (ProTools)
No votes
Behringer
4%
Roland
6%
Cockos (Reaper)
6%
Other (please specify)
15%

Total votes: 78
kitekrazy

17 Feb 2023

I'd rather be what they were before the stuffed shirts came in.
Cakewalk was doing the sub thing promising new content every month. That limits resources to do other things.
When a sub model is constantly promoted it turns potential away. There is this phobia among DAW users that all of their licenses will turn to subs.

Mergers or acquisitions should let that company run business as usual. Taking another code and trying to merge into another code rarely happens. Sometimes developers as they get older want to retire at a younger age. Hopefully they train other developers. Sometimes a developer moves on to other things leaving no one else to work on the code. That's why Sonar/Cakewalk never improved heir staff view.

Magix bought the Sony software. Supposedly they retained some of the staff. I'm not so sure or they retired. Upgrades and Acid, Soundforge, and Vegas have been lackluster.

Tascam sold of Gigastudio to Gary Garritan. People were thrilled but too much code for someone to deal with and that was history.

Gibson buying anyone, puts fear in anyone. When a company that is failing aquires someone to supplement income that never works out.

Presonus is under Fender.

When Image Line bought UVI the FL fans creed for IL/UVI to ditch iLok. Rare that an outside company can change the authorization of something they didn't develop. If Bandlab bought Reason Studios I doubt the authorization would change.

When In Music takes over it become a slow death to paid vaporware. It's the BFD authorization that makes me scream for iLok.

Many of those companies mentioned are small developers. Buying Reason would be a lot of money.

I miss when it was Propellar Heads instead of Reason Studios.

crimsonwarlock

17 Feb 2023

kitekrazy wrote:
17 Feb 2023
If Bandlab bought Reason Studios I doubt the authorization would change.
If Bandlab bought Reason, it would become free. The Bandlab business model is not about selling software licenses.
kitekrazy wrote:
17 Feb 2023
Many of those companies mentioned are small developers. Buying Reason would be a lot of money.
Bandlab is owned by a multimillionaire who has money to burn. He bought the Cakewalk software, made it free, and threw a serious development staff at it to boot. The Cakewalk update schedule is one of the most active around now. Besides that, tmo Bandlab is one of the very few companies where Reason would be a worthwhile expansion of their tool's portfolio.

Reaper is also owned by a multimillionaire, but he is not buying other software assets. Bandlab is.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

moalla

17 Feb 2023

Changed my vote, after have notice that their is this "small" musiccompany, especial with tiniest but max overpriced products in the world, who is one of the most marketing powerfull companys in the whole audio consumer market! Maybee two times bigger than reasonstudios of their number of employes, but now they only make money with hardware, so could be the most accurate pot to lid . Now they released nothing more than a freytag like bag for gear, what could seen, ass the have needings for shopping of theirself :lol:

Teenage Engeneering from Stockholm colaborating incidentally with IKEA

These are the best looking plasticstuff for your ears, believe ME it´s called FREKVENS
and Reason is also all about FREKVENS :thumbup:

Everything is said now, or.......
Last edited by moalla on 17 Feb 2023, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

DJMaytag

17 Feb 2023

Why does anyone bother responding to the OP’s trolling?

moalla

17 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
17 Feb 2023
Why does anyone bother responding to the OP’s trolling?
WHY, hmm cause music and technicnerds are crazy,
now don't be so serious, good man ;)
Assumptions are just inspiring

maybee now this thread could be closed
one vote close the thread tommorow afternoon
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

kuhliloach

17 Feb 2023

My dream is simply to be able to use my RE's within Logic so I voted for Apple. To this day trying to use the RRP within Logic means lots of crashing if you are someone who keeps your Mac updated to the latest OS. Also- Codemeter is a dumpster fire which I would love to replace with the kind of simplicity offered by App Store style installation.

DJMaytag

17 Feb 2023

moalla wrote:
17 Feb 2023

The OP is pretty anti-Reason, and rarely has anything positive to say. Why he’s here is beyond me…

jlgrimes

17 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Feb 2023
kitekrazy wrote:
17 Feb 2023
If Bandlab bought Reason, it would become free. The Bandlab business model is not about selling software licenses.
kitekrazy wrote:
17 Feb 2023
Bandlab is owned by a multimillionaire who has money to burn. He bought the Cakewalk software, made it free, and threw a serious development staff at it to boot. The Cakewalk update schedule is one of the most active around now. Besides that, tmo Bandlab is one of the very few companies where Reason would be a worthwhile expansion of their tool's portfolio.

Reaper is also owned by a multimillionaire, but he is not buying other software assets. Bandlab is.
I'm not sure how easy this would be in Reason's case.

Reason now has thousands of RE's to consider and I'm thinking they would want to keep this revenue stream open.

It is possible that they could make Reason free and charge for REs. It would be great if the RE stream could be further improved as it has the potential to make a lot of money for Reason or whoever owns it.

RobBarnett

17 Feb 2023

SSL. Imagine the mixer

Jagwah

18 Feb 2023

Billy+ wrote:
12 Feb 2023
make it open source stick it on github.
allow others to submit bug fixes / features and folks.
with a fully free community rack extension build and deployment system.
Always liked the idea of Reason going open source - only because Props have been so monumentally slow. Things like video support wouldn't be laughable. That simple sequencer marker people so often spoke about could be done in a few hours - compared to RS' attempt which is simply never accomplishing it, ever.

jam-s

18 Feb 2023

RobBarnett wrote:
17 Feb 2023
SSL. Imagine the mixer
I'd rather not. From their plugins they seem to have a botched look on how the perspective in their skeumorph design should look like.

jam-s

18 Feb 2023

Jagwah wrote:
18 Feb 2023
...That simple sequencer marker people so often spoke about could be done in a few hours - compared to RS' attempt which is simply never accomplishing it, ever.
I think your guesstimate is mus too low. in a few hours you'd most likely just be scratching the surface on getting a grasp on the general architecture of the code base. Give it a week or two (of working on this full time) for somebody new to a complex code base before expecting any useful feature implementation and you'll be in the right ballpark imho.

Jac459

18 Feb 2023

jam-s wrote:
18 Feb 2023
Jagwah wrote:
18 Feb 2023
...That simple sequencer marker people so often spoke about could be done in a few hours - compared to RS' attempt which is simply never accomplishing it, ever.
I think your guesstimate is mus too low. in a few hours you'd most likely just be scratching the surface on getting a grasp on the general architecture of the code base. Give it a week or two (of working on this full time) for somebody new to a complex code base before expecting any useful feature implementation and you'll be in the right ballpark imho.
A week or two for development, then 5 weeks for code merge, integration tests, another 5 for UAT, etc etc :-).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

kitekrazy

18 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Feb 2023
kitekrazy wrote:
17 Feb 2023
kitekrazy wrote:
17 Feb 2023

Cakewalk has probably been more upgraded than Reason. Unfortunately the staff view is there to die. One of the former top guys visits the forum. Outside the DAW I guess Bandlab's offerings which are online and phone apps are popular in Asia. The same guy who owns Bandlab discontinued Music Tech magazine. Odd Cakewalk was never promoted or on their install DVDs, not even in the Bandlab hardware.
When Cakewalk products were cancelled it shocked the DAW world, mostly developers. I like watching Crearive Sauce on youtube. His videos on Cakewalk is excellent.

DAWs will always exist because there is still a fanbase. People still use Acid Pro.

miscend

18 Feb 2023

Why are most people voting for an Apple buyout?

If Apple bought them they'd discontinue Reason and put all the features into Logic Pro. This is what they did when they bought Camel Audio and Redmatica.

DaveyG

18 Feb 2023

miscend wrote:
18 Feb 2023
Why are most people voting for an Apple buyout?

If Apple bought them they'd discontinue Reason and put all the features into Logic Pro. This is what they did when they bought Camel Audio and Redmatica.
It's also what they did with Logic when they bought Emagic.
I'm not a Mac user but Reason integrated with Logic Pro might be a reason to become one.

Hazel

18 Feb 2023

Yeah, my opinion, if Apple ended up with it, that would be the end of it, or at the very least a big step backwards. They are notorious for keeping everything proprietary within their environment. No thanks.

moalla

18 Feb 2023

Do someone know what is written now in the AGB if xy buys reasonstudios and what´ will be with the licenses of earlier versions....
Now this thread makes me a little bit nervous at all, so i have to save my best reason installs in backups, that never ever a Tim Cook can kill my lovely reason,

sarcasm ON "but for all new trendy 2,5k macbook pro users who are now got reasonusers it´s not a problem, cause for them it´s not a question of costs or compatibility in most cases, for these people it looks like that it´s more important question of nerd religion.Music and innovation getting more and more less interesting instead of fancy hardware and coolnees, wich means most controllers/interfaces/software plugs must replaced every second OS version"..... sarcasm OFF

The next big thing in compatibility means instead of jbridge, driver bridge, app bridge........ 🤮
so it´s better too learn machine coding to save real quality products instead of more and more weak stuff

if this sounds to hard, you could send me a message, but this here is at the end all about music and not highest rated stock exchange bullshit!

I´m able to use a older ipad with garageband now, NO it´s not compatible with older IOS versions, so from GARAGEBAND to POSHBAND.
New IOS version means mostly now, apps getting incompatible and the best apps what once coded for ios getting useless, that´s the sad truth.... 🤮🤮🤮

Jagwah

18 Feb 2023

Jac459 wrote:
18 Feb 2023
jam-s wrote:
18 Feb 2023

A week or two for development, then 5 weeks for code merge, integration tests, another 5 for UAT, etc etc :-).
That's still pretty quick in comparison :)

Jac459

19 Feb 2023

Jagwah wrote:
18 Feb 2023

That's still pretty quick in comparison :)
True 😀
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

iTrensharo

22 Feb 2023

kitekrazy wrote:
18 Feb 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Feb 2023

Cakewalk has probably been more upgraded than Reason. Unfortunately the staff view is there to die. One of the former top guys visits the forum. Outside the DAW I guess Bandlab's offerings which are online and phone apps are popular in Asia. The same guy who owns Bandlab discontinued Music Tech magazine. Odd Cakewalk was never promoted or on their install DVDs, not even in the Bandlab hardware.
When Cakewalk products were cancelled it shocked the DAW world, mostly developers. I like watching Crearive Sauce on youtube. His videos on Cakewalk is excellent.

DAWs will always exist because there is still a fanbase. People still use Acid Pro.
Reason doesn't have Notation at all, so it's hard to complain about what exists there from this platform, Lol.

I don't see why BandLab would want Reason. People forget how much stuff Cakewalk had, that BandLab now owns. They actually have a lot that they could update and re-release. There isn't going to be a huge incentive to purchase anything from Reason for potentially tens of millions of dollars, when they can more cheaply monetize the assets they already own for less cost.

The instrument/plug-in market is so saturated now that much of it is in a race to the bottom. A bunch of Rack Extensions that RS almost never touch/update/enhance is not really going to entice anyone... especially considering they are using a proprietary plug-in format that makes it more difficult for them to be easily monetized to others who do not use Reason itself.

RRP is really nice, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I used other synths [directly] more often... just to avoid the hassle of dealing with the rack. The instruments are decent, but they are largely redundant in the overall market. And it not being AS Native means I cannot use it in Cubase on my MBP, anyways. Either I use Logic Pro - which I am still not that proficient in - of I ignore it. And, thus far, I've just been ignoring it. I haven't even installed it there. Just got back from a trip and didn't even use it once while gone, because I only brought my MBP with me.

motuscott

22 Feb 2023

Love this game where you pretend your vote counts as much as the guys with the money...
Still Reason Fanboi#1 until it disappears from my computer
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

DJMaytag

22 Feb 2023

My vote would be the Focusrite Group. It was well noted that when they bought Sequential Circuits, it allowed Dave Smith to focus more clearly on designing instruments (up until his recent passing). That’s the kind of place I’d like to see RS, under an umbrella where they can focus on the rite things to further develop Reason.

crimsonwarlock

23 Feb 2023

iTrensharo wrote:
22 Feb 2023
I don't see why BandLab would want Reason. People forget how much stuff Cakewalk had, that BandLab now owns
Bandlab runs a platform for musicians, that is their core business. They already had the Bandlab DAW, but still bought Cakewalk. The reason for that is obvious: to cater to the more seasoned musicians, as the Bandlab DAW is more aimed at beginners. Reason caters more to electronic musicians, where Cakewalk caters more to traditional recording. Cakewalk sits in the realm of Protools, Reaper, Cubase, etc. and Reason sits more in the realm of FL Studio, Live and Bitwig. So, buying Reason would bring many musicians to their platform that they won't reach with their current offerings.

So, basically, they would want Reason for all the users that Cakewalk doesn't cater to.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

PhillipOrdonez

23 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
17 Feb 2023
moalla wrote:
17 Feb 2023

The OP is pretty anti-Reason, and rarely has anything positive to say. Why he’s here is beyond me…
Is he? I haven't noticed.

• Information