Top 5 Reason Release Moments

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scotward57

10 Feb 2023

Here's my list:

1. When the Combinator was released in v3. Sleepless nights thinking about rolling your own devices!
2. When Kong was released in v5. Always loved the MPC concept but could never afford one at the time.
3. When Record was released. I had always wanted to hear what Reason devices would do to live audio!
4. When Scream was introduced in v2.5 - the tape algorithm is still the best for phat everything!
5. When Reason Suite 11 was released - I got to catch up on all the REs I missed out on for a great price!

PhillipOrdonez

10 Feb 2023

Rrp Is a huge milestone imo.

huggermugger

10 Feb 2023

VST compatibility in R9.5 was a huge jump. I got along with the closed ecosystem of Reason, but I really missed not being able to use other synths and effects. Now, not counting Players and Utilities, probably 80% of the synths and effects I use in Reason are VSTs.

freshkidblaze

10 Feb 2023

Whatever version that brought us Europa and Grain was a great run.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2023

For me in no particular order:

The ability to add favorite lists. I used to spend so much time scrolling through a bunch of devices I didn't care about. I can finally organize devices into my own categories and only add devices I actually use. I haven't seen anyone else mention this feature, but for me this was huge.
Audiomatic. I've used this A LOT. Tape, Vinyl and VHS especially.
Reasons Master Bus SSL Compressor. Use it all the time.
Europa. For sure my favorite instrument by RS. It's RS at their best imo.
Rack extensions. It really opened things up. It's what I use 95% of the time. I love how everything is registered to ONE account. Easy to download. Very little hassle around the whole thing.

FrankJaeger

10 Feb 2023

Does anyone remember when pulverizer, alligator and the echo released? That version of Reason was "pay what you want". That was a BIG consumer friendly move by (at the time Propellerhead) Reason Studios. They literally gained my loyalty with that move alone. I think I paid $70 for it. I remember some people bragging that they only paid a dollar and thus we haven't seen RS do anything similar since...
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

arnigretar

10 Feb 2023

After staying up many nights in Reason 1 I was so excited when Peff told me props had version 2 coming soon and told me about Malström. That was insane! Still one of my fav synths.

1. Malström - v2
2. Scream - v2.5
3. thor - v4
4. kong - v5
5. players - v9
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

robussc

10 Feb 2023

1. The rack. Still so useful.
2. Audio recording.
3. Europa.
4. The SSL mixer
5. VST support
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Jac459

10 Feb 2023

For me:
Kong: was a kind of game changer in rhythmic possibilities.
Dr rex: still a top tool to manipulate loops.
RRP: when Reason allowed us to embrace the best of all worlds.
Friktion: !!! A unique tool above all.
Record: this ssl emulation !
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

kitekrazy

11 Feb 2023

Was it between v8-10 they gave you nice free stuff like Europa.
Reason 11 Suite

Now it seems downhill pushing the sub model.

Aquila

11 Feb 2023

1. MIDI out in v7
2. Rack extensions in v6.5
3. Merging of Reason and Record in v6
4. VST support in v9.5
5. Pitch editing in v9

motuscott

11 Feb 2023

V4 Thor release.
Thought this would be a good time to hop onboard and maybe understand synthesis.
I gave it my best...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Arrant
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2023

Rack extensions in 6.5 was the defining moment for me. Opening up the rack like that was just a massive paradigm shift.

Steedus
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2023

- R10 with Europa, Grain, Klang, Pangea, Humana, Radical Pianos, Synchronous, Loop & Drum libraries
- Release of Record
- Reason Rack Plugin (I don't use it myself but it's clearly a fantastic option for some, and quite an achievement)
- Pay What You Want R6 upgrade (because it showed they were really listening to their customers)
- R11 Suite bundle

I would've said the HD update, as it does add alot to the overall presentation, but I have a few too many personal gripes with how they did it (most are tiny, but still...)

dvdrtldg

14 Feb 2023

Not in order:

1. Merging of Reason and Record
2. Thor release
3. Europa release
4. REs appear
5. VST compatibility

I guess the RRP is a huge game changer for a lot of people, and probably a very smart & consequential move in terms of Reason's ongoing commercial viability. But I never use it

Aosta

14 Feb 2023

When they announced REs but also told us we had already been using them and the Echo was actually a RE all along

Tend the flame

Popey
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2023

I do not have 5 as only first bought reason at v9.

The ability to use vst in 9.5 and getting great devices like europa, synchronous, grain etc in 10 were particular highlights.

The rack plugin is a great idea which they can still improve imo.

challism

14 Feb 2023

No particular order. These are what I consider the top releases that impacted the user base the most (not so much me, personally, as I don't use the RRP outside of beta testing).

* audio recording (both in the sequencer and direct sample recording in devices)
* Rack Extensions
* VST
* RRP
* Combinator (both versions, but especially v2.0)
* honorable mention: R+ subscription (totally joking)
arnigretar wrote:
10 Feb 2023
After staying up many nights in Reason 1 I was so excited when Peff told me props had version 2 coming soon and told me about Malström. That was insane! Still one of my fav synths.

1. Malström - v2
2. Scream - v2.5
3. thor - v4
4. kong - v5
5. players - v9
Peff told you personally? Or he announced it?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

joeyluck

14 Feb 2023

For "release moments", Rack Extensions definitely tops the list. Propellerhead went to Musikmesse and held a press event to announce it.

dioxide

14 Feb 2023

Most important for me were Combinator v1, Thor, Record (audio input, recording and SSL mixer) and Rack Extensions.

MIDI Out was also important but like VST support it's something that I only occasionally need. I was very excited by Kong but actually don't use it very much now. Blocks and Ableton Link are two additions that weren't the main features in their version but that I couldn't live without. Remote again is invaluable.

arnigretar

15 Feb 2023

challism wrote:
14 Feb 2023
No particular order. These are what I consider the top releases that impacted the user base the most (not so much me, personally, as I don't use the RRP outside of beta testing).

* audio recording (both in the sequencer and direct sample recording in devices)
* Rack Extensions
* VST
* RRP
* Combinator (both versions, but especially v2.0)
* honorable mention: R+ subscription (totally joking)
arnigretar wrote:
10 Feb 2023

1. Malström - v2
2. Scream - v2.5
3. thor - v4
4. kong - v5
5. players - v9
Peff told you personally? Or he announced it?
He is an old friend. Some of us old RB heads had a chatroom on the old Hotline client (HCL) were we shared ideas and stuff. He just told us there and uploaded some pics. Same happened before launch of v1. It was very exciting times :)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

DaveyG

15 Feb 2023

V1 was a revelation and a revolution. They had already brought us Rebirth at a time when all other software instruments sucked, then they hit us with Reason, complete with a method of running Rebirth alongside it. Reason 1 (or Reason as it was known!) was streets ahead of anything else back then.

Since then it's all the same stuff others have mentioned. Players, VSTs and the RRP.
I was never very excited by Rack Extensions. At the time I just wanted them to support VSTs.

I never imagined in my wildest dreams that one day Reason itself would become a VST. I think history will show that to be a decision that ensures Reason's future survival and maybe even allows it to break out into the wider market.

challism

15 Feb 2023

DaveyG wrote:
15 Feb 2023
V1 was a revelation and a revolution. They had already brought us Rebirth at a time when all other software instruments sucked, then they hit us with Reason, complete with a method of running Rebirth alongside it. Reason 1 (or Reason as it was known!) was streets ahead of anything else back then.
Yeah, at one point in time, Reason as so far ahead of the competition. Kind of sad to see how things have changed.
I never imagined in my wildest dreams that one day Reason itself would become a VST. I think history will show that to be a decision that ensures Reason's future survival and maybe even allows it to break out into the wider market.
100% agree with this. I think turning Reason into a VST was easily the single best decision RS has made in the last 10 years.
arnigretar wrote:
15 Feb 2023
He is an old friend. Some of us old RB heads had a chatroom on the old Hotline client (HCL) were we shared ideas and stuff. He just told us there and uploaded some pics. Same happened before launch of v1. It was very exciting times :)
That's cool; OG user.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Marc64

16 Feb 2023

When the combinator was about to be released and they had a small pieces of it on their website every day or so for us to wonder what it was before they revealed the whole thing was cool :)

DJMaytag

17 Feb 2023

#1 VST support in R9.5. I spent a few years trying to make music without Reason, solely using VST’s in Cubase, and managed to NOT make anything inspiring. I stopped at 6.5.3 for a LONG time, and missed a few things about Reason that were just so much easier to use for me, and of course one of my favorite synths… Malström. I was literally days away from switching to Ableton when VST support was announced, just before the payday that I was going to use to buy Ableton. VST support has been a game changer.

#2 Everything else is a massively distant second. Nothing compares to Reason being a standalone environment for me now.

• Information