Any update on native M1?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heater

03 Feb 2023

It’s been a while

robussc

03 Feb 2023

I guess Reason has a decent amount of assembly language inside it which requires hand translation, otherwise it would be a relatively simple job.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

DJMaytag

03 Feb 2023

we’re making great progress and have already started a closed alpha test of Reason with M1/M2-support. Once we move into beta, we hope many of you will join.
This is from Dec 16th of 2022.

https://reasonstudios.com/blog/roadmap- ... as-agevik/

Heater

03 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
03 Feb 2023
we’re making great progress and have already started a closed alpha test of Reason with M1/M2-support. Once we move into beta, we hope many of you will join.
This is from Dec 16th of 2022.

https://reasonstudios.com/blog/roadmap- ... as-agevik/
Thanks. So a closed beta. At least that's something.

helmutson

03 Feb 2023

Since iPad got M1/2 cpu's , I wished Reason would be available for iOS ! The hardware is ready for that ;)

DJMaytag

03 Feb 2023

It's been in closed alpha for 6 weeks now. The beta will be public, but you still have to sign up for it, just like the VST3 beta. If you were previously a beta tester, then you should be eligible for the M1/M2 beta.

jam-s

03 Feb 2023

robussc wrote:
03 Feb 2023
I guess Reason has a decent amount of assembly language inside it which requires hand translation, otherwise it would be a relatively simple job.
I highly doubt this. Instead it's most likely C++ targeting LLVM (by now). And a part of the work has already been done by making the task scheduler of Reason aware of different CPU core types in one of the last minor revision updates.

DJMaytag

03 Feb 2023

helmutson wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Since iPad got M1/2 cpu's , I wished Reason would be available for iOS ! The hardware is ready for that ;)
It would be awesome if they were somehow able to get legacy copies of iOS Rebirth onto MacOS because of the M1/M2 compatibility.

kurtg

03 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
03 Feb 2023
It's been in closed alpha for 6 weeks now. The beta will be public, but you still have to sign up for it, just like the VST3 beta. If you were previously a beta tester, then you should be eligible for the M1/M2 beta.
I was signed up for the previous beta. Let's hope we get an invite soon.

robussc

03 Feb 2023

helmutson wrote:
03 Feb 2023
I don’t get this. It seems like it be working through a keyhole? Reason on a laptop is tough enough. I have dual 24” monitors and sometimes wish for a third as the mixer and the sequencer share a screen. :)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Heater

03 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
03 Feb 2023
That's good to know. I was a beta tester before. I hope it comes soon.

joeyluck

03 Feb 2023

Heater wrote:
03 Feb 2023
DJMaytag wrote:
03 Feb 2023
The beta is ongoing, unless you stopped testing, you should still be a tester.

Heater

03 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Good to know joeyluck.

joeyluck

03 Feb 2023

Heater wrote:
03 Feb 2023
joeyluck wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Good to know joeyluck.
So if you haven't been testing, you should check in, as there have been updates to test :)

fieldframe
RE Developer

03 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Heater wrote:
03 Feb 2023

Even better, the last Reason beta I participated in was several years ago, but I checked the old link and I'm still in the program with the latest 12.5 builds available. So it looks like as long as you've been a beta tester at some point in the past, you can jump back in any time.

iTrensharo

12 Feb 2023

robussc wrote:
03 Feb 2023
helmutson wrote:
03 Feb 2023
I don’t get this. It seems like it be working through a keyhole? Reason on a laptop is tough enough. I have dual 24” monitors and sometimes wish for a third as the mixer and the sequencer share a screen. :)
A 12.9" iPad Pro is not really any worse than a 13" M1 MacBook Air/Pro as far as screen real-estate is concerned.

I have all the monitors I could want (can run 4x 144-240Hz displays on my Desktop) and I often don't see a point in this since I'm often either producing, or mixing. The only reason I'd "require" a second monitor is if I were working to video... but why would I use Reason for that?

Beyond that, the entire reason for a laptop is to be portable. The people who are using a DAW on a mobile form factor don't care about multiple displays. The whole point of that scenario is that you get the benefit of mobility at the cost of some comfort, but the benefits are far worth the costs. I can't ever remember seeing a producer travel by plane with two displays in their carry-on... but maybe I just don't know the right people.

That being said, considering how long it's taken them to get usable (if not amazing) HiDPI done, and the fact that they still haven't gotten Apple Silicon Native done... Can anyone even expect a usable iPad Touch Experience to come out of this development team within the next decade or so? Solutions like Cubasis already exist for people who want to produce on iPads. I'd look towards that.

I can see Logic Pro making the move over (along with Final Cut Pro) fairly soon, but that wouldn't be to Reason's benefit.

The comment about it working through a keyhole is hilarious. The 12.9" Display on an iPad Pro is going to give comparable screen real-estate to my 14" 16:9 Laptop display. That is not an issue. The screens are retina, so as long as the developers are on the ball, none of that should be an issue. Tablets need a different user experience than desktop. The product would be [appropriately] laughed at if they just slapped a desktop UI onto the iPad.

Steinberg didn't just copy and paste the Cubase UI/UX into Cubasis, for example. The latter is designed specifically for touchscreen devices.

IMO, the lacking thing about the iPad is the lack of a mode of operation similar to Samsung devices (Samsung DeX), where the mobile apps have two different UIs built into them, and when docked to a KB/Mouse/Screen they change to function more like desktop apps and then revert to a Mobile UI/UX when undocked. That's the one unfortunate aspect of iPadOS... especially now that iPad Air/Pros can be docked to Displays and Peripherals with ease over USB-C or Thunderbolt.

robussc

12 Feb 2023

iTrensharo wrote:
12 Feb 2023

The comment about it working through a keyhole is hilarious. The 12.9" Display on an iPad Pro is going to give comparable screen real-estate to my 14" 16:9 Laptop display. That is not an issue. The screens are retina, so as long as the developers are on the ball, none of that should be an issue. Tablets need a different user experience than desktop. The product would be [appropriately] laughed at if they just slapped a desktop UI onto the iPad.
The issue is the touch accuracy. Sure you could fit a lot of UI on that screen, but to make it usable you’d need to make sure there was room to accurately touch each element. On a laptop screen at least you have the pixel accuracy of a pointer.

But to each their own :)

iTrensharo

12 Feb 2023

robussc wrote:
12 Feb 2023
iTrensharo wrote:
12 Feb 2023

The issue is the touch accuracy. Sure you could fit a lot of UI on that screen, but to make it usable you’d need to make sure there was room to accurately touch each element. On a laptop screen at least you have the pixel accuracy of a pointer.

But to each their own :)
Apple Pencil (and Surface Pen, for the matter) has existed for how long?

This is a literal non-issue. Lol.

_andreypetr_

13 Feb 2023

I'm strongly shure that RS throw their resources on the new instrument release because I believe it's all about business.

lzap

17 Feb 2023

I cannot wait until this beta starts.

Heater

17 Feb 2023

lzap wrote:
17 Feb 2023
I cannot wait until this beta starts.
Same

moalla

17 Feb 2023

So if apple will bring IOS to IpadPro M2 after summer maybe, than that´s the biggest game changer since rack extensions/recording was added to Reason in usage.
In every fact really interesting, also this IOS update crazyness becomes that bad after taste like now, updates ipads from semipro to real pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

DJMaytag

17 Feb 2023

moalla wrote:
17 Feb 2023
So if apple will bring IOS to IpadPro M2 after summer maybe, than that´s the biggest game changer since rack extensions/recording was added to Reason in usage.
In every fact really interesting, also this IOS update crazyness becomes that bad after taste like now, updates ipads from semipro to real pro
Why not just use an iPad with an M1/M2 Mac and make the iPad an extra screen? I need to try this more with my iPad, to see how well it works with the Mixer on the iPad. #touchscreenmixer

• Information