Problem in Increasing the tempo of a vocal

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mohammadyarahmad

15 Jan 2023

Hello,
I use reason 12.5
I dropped a vocal in ADD TRACK section. The original tempo of the vocal is 115 bpm. When I increase the tempo to 130 bpm, the vocal doesn't match correctly to 130 bpm.
I tried that in other Daws, like FL Studio and Bitwig, and I had no problem with changing tempo, The problem only exists in Reason.
What should I do?
Is there a trick for it in Reason?

EnochLight

15 Jan 2023

Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
15 Jan 2023
Hello,
I use reason 12.5
I dropped a vocal in ADD TRACK section. The original tempo of the vocal is 115 bpm. When I increase the tempo to 130 bpm, the vocal doesn't match correctly to 130 bpm.
I tried that in other Daws, like FL Studio and Bitwig, and I had no problem with changing tempo, The problem only exists in Reason.
What should I do?
If you know that your vocal track is recorded at 115 bpm, before you import it into Reason change Reason's tempo to 115 bpm and then import it to an audio track. Then, right-click the imported waveform and make sure the "Stretch & Transpose Type" is set to "Vocal". When you change your transport's tempo, the vocal track should follow your Project tempo without issue. :thumbup:

Reason requires metadata indicating the file's tempo in order to identify it correctly, and by default *.wav files aren't tagged with this data.

If you don't want to do the above, you can also manually stretch/warp any audio track no matter what your Project tempo is set to - just hold down your CTRL key when you click the end (you'll see a time icon appear), and drag it to match the necessary bars (the time signature and length of your sample will determine how much or how little you need to warp your audio).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Mohammadyarahmad

16 Jan 2023

EnochLight wrote:
15 Jan 2023
Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
15 Jan 2023
Hello,
I use reason 12.5
What should I do?
If you know that your vocal track is recorded at 115 bpm, before you import it into Reason change Reason's tempo to 115 bpm and then import it to an audio track. Then, right-click the imported waveform and make sure the "Stretch & Transpose Type" is set to "Vocal". When you change your transport's tempo, the vocal track should follow your Project tempo without issue. :thumbup:

Reason requires metadata indicating the file's tempo in order to identify it correctly, and by default *.wav files aren't tagged with this data.

If you don't want to do the above, you can also manually stretch/warp any audio track no matter what your Project tempo is set to - just hold down your CTRL key when you click the end (you'll see a time icon appear), and drag it to match the necessary bars (the time signature and length of your sample will determine how much or how little you need to warp your audio).
That worked!
Thanks.
What about other samples, like fx and noises?
If we drag them into Reason, should we do another process to match them with the tempo of a project or Reason automatically does it?

EnochLight

16 Jan 2023

Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
16 Jan 2023
If we drag them into Reason, should we do another process to match them with the tempo of a project or Reason automatically does it?
Again, Reason requires the bpm metadata to be embedded in the file, so assuming your samples are just bog standard wav's that don't have this, then you need to manually stretch/warp your samples using the method above, or - if you know the original bpm of the sample - change Reason's Project tempo to the sample's bpm before importing.

But unless your "fx and noises" have tempo sync'd effects printed in them that you want to preserve, I personally wouldn't worry too much. Like I said, you can just CTRL + click the end of any sample in the main timeline and drag it to the required length and warp the audio on the fly. :thumbup:
Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
16 Jan 2023
That worked!
Thanks.
No problem - glad you got things sorted! And welcome to the forums!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pushedbutton

16 Jan 2023

Also worth noting, seen as you're on this route, it's worth making sure your audio type is set to vocal rather than all round or melody. When you come to use the 'bounce audio to midi' it'll do a reasonably good job of pitch detection too, skipping this means you'll probably only get the transient markers converted to midi so it'll be all one note.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Mohammadyarahmad

22 Jan 2023

Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
16 Jan 2023
EnochLight wrote:
15 Jan 2023

That worked!
Thanks.
Thanks a lot.

How to thanks those who response to our questions in the forum?
Is there a like button or something?

EnochLight

22 Jan 2023

Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
22 Jan 2023
Thanks a lot.

How to thanks those who response to our questions in the forum?
Is there a like button or something?
Hey man - no we’re not that fancy. ;) A simple follow-up post as you did is much appreciated, though! Glad things worked out.

• Information