If only one could name those I/Os...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
snafu

03 Jan 2023

Hello there,
I am new to the forum - but not necessarily new to Reason ;-) I started out with version 3, went a time away from it, came back with Record (because: Audio), and was very happy to see how Reason actually evolved into a full grown DAW.
Still there is one feature though, I miss since the early days, and though this might not look like a big thing, it recently has become a real problem for me. Input and Output management!

See back then I had a Delta 1010 Audio card, with 8 inputs and 8 outputs. Now Reason offers 64 I/Os, but I had just to concentrate on the first eight. But over time things changed, and now I have a "audio card" with 32 inputs, and 32 outputs. And their all wired to my patchbays, and they are connected to wallboxes in my recording room, and now things are a bit more complicated! Now, in my other DAW (Reaper) I can assign meaningfull names to each and every I/O, so instead of "FW-DMmKII - 1" (which is the first input of my digital console), I can set up something like "Mic 1 Wallbox 1". Or "Guitar-DI-Input". Or "Line 3 Wallbox 2". You get the point.
How is that not a thing within Reason?

So, I would like to know: am I the only one, who would find this kinda cool to actually name inputs and outputs?

Cheers
snafu

Hans_47

05 Jan 2023

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2023

This is another of those little things that makes users of other DAWs scratch their heads, at least the ones who have larger setups. I now have up to 32 inputs on my current system, most of them ‘filled’ with audio sources from almost 16 microphones and 9 hardware inputs to date.
In LUNA if I want to record HydraSynth I just select HydraSynth from the list of inputs. In Reason I check my printout and see it’s input 17/18, set the input to stereo, and scroll down to input 17/18.
The RE for labeling is not much of a step up from my printed list…

But that’s just the beginning for larger setups.
If I want to setup my drum inputs I have to create the inputs and then select them one by one. Other DAWs allow sequentially assigning inputs to multiple tracks in many cases meaning you can assign all inputs in one command.
If I then want to arm those drum tracks I have to click on each one, one at a time. In other DAWs you can group arm selected or grouped tracks.
If I THEN want to edit those tracks, it’s pretty difficult as there is no way to group those tracks to be edited as one.
Then there is the fader automation issues, not related to input naming but a part of the reason some folks don’t see Reason as workable for them.
Selig Audio, LLC

miyaru

06 Jan 2023

Hans_47 wrote:
05 Jan 2023
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... io-bundle/

Is this what you are looking for?
I tried it, and filled it with info. Did not know how to safe the info, so I made a combinator for it.

I know it is for free, but if it is really handy.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

crimsonwarlock

06 Jan 2023

miyaru wrote:
06 Jan 2023
Did not know how to safe the info, so I made a combinator for it.
Just save them in your project template, then you don't need a combi :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

miyaru

06 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Jan 2023
miyaru wrote:
06 Jan 2023
Did not know how to safe the info, so I made a combinator for it.
Just save them in your project template, then you don't need a combi :puf_wink:
Thanx, that is how I should have done it……. :thumbup:
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

snafu

06 Jan 2023

Hans_47 wrote:
05 Jan 2023
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... io-bundle/

Is this what you are looking for?
Thanks for pointing this out. Seems close, but is not exactly what I am looking for. I'd like a clean asignment, just like selig pointed out - so when I open the I/O-panel on a track, I can asign my I/Os without having to check my reference sheet.
Maybe I should give a feature request a try? I think this is really an improve in workflow, maybe not only for lager setups...

• Information