Player Automation Doesn't Work in Real Time, mist precede bar

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mbfrancis

03 Jan 2023

[Sorry if this is a known bug or I've missed a post on this.]

I love all the Players and have been using them extensively, and almost always am using automation (and CV) to add Variations on almost all devices, as well using MIDI to change tonality... some key examples:

* For a basic chord progression I'll automate # of notes, inversion, key, and add color on Scales and Chords for almost every chord. (Super fun, and it can create melodies from the top notes.)
* I am almost always using a root note to drive tonality across patterns across Bass Line Generator, Polystep Sequencer, and Quad Note.

The issue is that there seems to be latency in players sending MIDI messages at the start of automation or note changes, so the Automation does not register in the actual MIDI, *unless* I move the automation slightly before the event. So for example if I'm switching from 3 notes to 4 notes on S&C for a chord on beat 1 of bar 3, I will have to move the automation slightly before that beat for it to work consistently. SImlarly I have to move my sustained bass notes that are sending tonality to PolyStep slightly before the beat to

Is this a feature or a bug? Was this fixed in R12? The workaround is not that onerous, but it seems like basic functionality. Am I missing something?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

gribbly

03 Jan 2023

I just tried to reproduce this in Reason 12 and couldn't.

I created a couple of synths with Scales and Chords and Bassline Generator players, and automated a bunch of stuff right on bar lines. Everything worked correctly (meaning the automations to Notes, Inversion, etc. all took effect as expected - I didn't need to move the automation to be "early"):

Automation bug repro.png
Automation bug repro.png (34.93 KiB) Viewed 417 times

I didn't do this part:
I am almost always using a root note to drive tonality across patterns across Bass Line Generator, Polystep Sequencer, and Quad Note.
...because I'm not 100% sure what you mean. How are you setting this up?
Reason 12 | Win 11 | gribbly.org | https://spoti.fi/39m1izC

omatoadvocate

07 Apr 2023

Until I tweak the Automation just before the event, it does not show up in the MIDI. For my chord change from 3 notes to 4 notes on S&C to reliably occur on beat 1 of bar 3, I need to adjust the automation slightly before that beat. Similarly, I have to advance the timing of the sustained bass notes that transmit polyrhythmic tonality to PolyStep. dordle

• Information