R12, 16 months on, ... how are you all finding it?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gribbly

04 Jan 2023

I am loving R12, just as I’ve loved every previous version of Reason! I don’t have R+ (I try to avoid subscriptions as much as possible), so I just bought the upgrade.

Combi 2.0 is pretty nice! I don’t make new ones that often, but I’ve made a couple of custom instruments for myself that I use all the time. Would love to see more controls and customization added over time, that would be cool.

I’ve been getting a lot of use out of Mimic and BV-X.

I’ve lightly dabbled with VST3 since 12.5 came out, but I’m not really a VST person - there are plenty of Rack Extensions that cover all the bases for me.

I’ve been enjoying Players - Delta MIDI Computer is one I’m getting a lot of use out of.

Overall, satisfied customer! If anything, I’m using it more than my average in previous years. Been very stable for me, and I like the updates.
Reason 12 | Win 11 | gribbly.org | https://spoti.fi/39m1izC

jam-s

05 Jan 2023

Well, R12 is still missing the option to have individual zoom settings for rack, sequencer and mixer. So imho hires support is still not done properly and I wonder if they will fix this for R12 at all.

Jac459

05 Jan 2023

Pepin wrote:
02 Jan 2023
Jac459 wrote:
02 Jan 2023
I am very curious here. I have a perpetual licence for reason 12, i am on latest version, my computer is the one registered for both reason and the REs and yet, when i am loading a song in bitwig, all the instances of RRP generate a prompt with the need to be connected to internet. It is super annoying because i am quite nomad and my computer can't be always connected to internet...
How did you do?
I've seen this in the past and solved it with Sync All from the RE account page. The perpetual rack plugin is definitely supposed to work with machine authorization.
Is it claiming some rack extensions need you to log in? That's the message that means you need to Sync All (unless you're actually trialing something or beta testing, in which case the message is accurate).
Sorry mate, i tried your trick but it doesnt seems to work. The sync all call the authoriser and I let it process fully but at the end it still doesn’t work.
One thing i noticed is that there is some old trial stuffs in the authorizer, definitely expired and still here. When i delete them they download again with the Sync All. How can i prevent that?
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

moneykube

05 Jan 2023

Arpeg wrote:
03 Jan 2023
moneykube wrote:
03 Jan 2023
:lol: :clap:had a dummy moment looking at installs :exclamation:
I have Reason 12.2.9. 12.2.10, and 12.5 installs on a drive, and I am ready to install one.
So are most people here saying 12.5 is more stable than 12.2.10 depending on problem VSTs using OS Monterey?
2nd 2 part question> will I have to delete my many racks and reinstall them to benefit from Hi-Rez or will they just be Hi-Rez after install? Would that not affect Reason 11 if I chose to collaborate with someone using 11?
Download the latest.
No idea on Monterey - always used Win PC.
Racks will be Hi-res after install, no need for re-installing. After installing the latest version go to your account on the Reason Studios website and 'sync all' for rack extensions just to make sure after the update that everything syncs up nicely.
I have not gone to R11 for a while so I cannot honestly answer that but I presume it is just related to Reason 12 only as it is part of the upgrade along with mimic, combi 2 etc
sigh... at least half my racks were not hi rez... deleted the non high rez ones... authorizer will not work period now... it will not update all the many racks or even open... this is WAS WHY I ASKED about possible problems with installing 12.5 and was concerned ( I was right) ... I installed Reason several times and even installed authorizer separate as a test... NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL :exclamation: looks like I'll have to revert back to my time machine backup of 11 and reinstall multiple apps and plugs once more... AAAAAAAAK
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 12.58.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 12.58.11 PM.png (50.66 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
Can not open authorizer to sync all the racks but it opened to authorize my computer and it opens on it's own... just not with sync all
edit.... finally authorizer is doing it's thing but I had to open it up manually ... hit sync all and wait a very long time... now the LONG process of downloading the deleted racks has started... certainly hope they come up as high rez this time... there were about 40 or more , that were not high rez.... woohoo... they are coming in as high rez... lol talk again in a day when this day long process finishes ! :shock:
Last edited by moneykube on 05 Jan 2023, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

joeyluck

05 Jan 2023

moneykube wrote:
05 Jan 2023
Arpeg wrote:
03 Jan 2023

Download the latest.
No idea on Monterey - always used Win PC.
Racks will be Hi-res after install, no need for re-installing. After installing the latest version go to your account on the Reason Studios website and 'sync all' for rack extensions just to make sure after the update that everything syncs up nicely.
I have not gone to R11 for a while so I cannot honestly answer that but I presume it is just related to Reason 12 only as it is part of the upgrade along with mimic, combi 2 etc
sigh... at least half my racks were not hi rez... deleted the non high rez ones... authorizer will not work period now... it will not update all the many racks or even open... this is WAS WHY I ASKED about possible problems with installing 12.5 and was concerned ( I was right) ... I installed Reason several times and even installed authorizer separate as a test... NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL :exclamation: looks like I'll have to revert back to my time machine backup of 11 and reinstall multiple apps and plugs once more... AAAAAAAAKScreen Shot 2023-01-05 at 12.58.11 PM.png
Can not open authorizer to sync all the racks but it opened to authorize my computer and it opens on it's own... just not with sync all
Sorry you are having trouble. You asked and nobody seems to be having the issue you are having...

Not sure why you are deleting REs. You have to choose to upgrade REs to hi-res, that does not require deleting. So if they are not the hi-res versions, you have not upgraded them to hi-res.

moneykube

05 Jan 2023

joeyluck wrote:
05 Jan 2023
Sorry you are having trouble. You asked and nobody seems to be having the issue you are having...
Not sure why you are deleting REs. You have to choose to upgrade REs to hi-res, that does not require deleting. So if they are not the hi-res versions, you have not upgraded them to hi-res.
how does this happen?... about 30 came up as high rez after the update as mentioned above... do you update each rack that is not high rez within the rack that is not high rez? You would think sync all would do that... at any rate... they are now downloading as high rez... happy I don't have to revert back with time machine anyway :thumbs_up:

Noplan
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2023

I'm still very neutral about it. Bought it 8 months ago but haven't installed it yet.

moneykube

05 Jan 2023

Noplan wrote:
05 Jan 2023
I'm still very neutral about it. Bought it 8 months ago but haven't installed it yet.
yes... I waited until now because I was hoping the hiccups would be corrected by now. I hate installing software.
I also bought it about 8 months ago... and patiently waited until the waters seemed relatively calm.

moneykube

05 Jan 2023

144 racks now hi res...
For some reason Champagne SuperNova Vintage Synthesizer 1.10 downloaded as low res this go round.
40 more racks to go.
So please point me to the easy way to update racks to hi-res, in case more fail to update. :?: :question:
If it is only CSNVS 1.10> I will delete it and retry a download once this process completes.
I believe I just have too many racks :lightbulb: :exclamation: :?

strangers
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2023

Noplan wrote:
05 Jan 2023
Same here. Bought the upgrade when there was a heavy duty discount and never bothered activating with the amount of bugs and issues being mentioned various places. Maybe later this year I'll give it a go. For now, 11 Suite works perfectly fine for me.

jam-s

05 Jan 2023

moneykube wrote:
05 Jan 2023
edit.... finally authorizer is doing it's thing but I had to open it up manually ... hit sync all and wait a very long time... now the LONG process of downloading the deleted racks has started... certainly hope they come up as high rez this time... there were about 40 or more , that were not high rez.... woohoo... they are coming in as high rez... lol talk again in a day when this day long process finishes ! :shock:
For me to get all REs into HiRes I had to use about 4-times the "sync all" feature. Each time authorizer would stay frozen for quite some time but then download the next batch of HiRes updates... Not the best UX for sure. :puf_unhappy:

joeyluck

05 Jan 2023

Yeah hopefully at some point all users will have access to Companion. With Companion you have options per Rack Extension to upgrade to hi-res, but also an option to 'upgrade all installed devices' in addition to sync all.

Goriila Texas

05 Jan 2023

I stop using Reason a long time ago and switched to RRP but it keeps crashing Studio One so I had to take it out of my template. I talked to Presonus after sending them my crash report and they said it must be on RS end and to get with them. I don't have any confidence in RS fixing anything so I just stop using it altogether.
Last edited by Goriila Texas on 05 Jan 2023, edited 1 time in total.

moneykube

05 Jan 2023

joeyluck wrote:
05 Jan 2023
Yeah hopefully at some point all users will have access to Companion. With Companion you have options per Rack Extension to upgrade to hi-res, but also an option to 'upgrade all installed devices' in addition to sync all.
YES please ! Those options would be awesome to have.... 27 to go and so far only the one update failed.
Looking forward to actually be able to see the racks and text better.... My eyes are getting poorer daily.
Then to explore Mimic and the new Combinator. :thumbup:
I had a scare at the beginning of this process> where I was getting a weird message that I had to unauthorize another computer. This made no sense, because my field laptop uses an ignition key and Reason 10, and no other computer is authorized. I somehow lost computer authorization for 10, 11 suite and 12 on this computer formally authorized > message continued until I reinstalled Reason 12.5 a few times, and then reauthorized once more > and then the high res stuff went down badly... Sorry for getting upset. I should know by now, that nothing is as easy as it should be in my current computer world experience.
I think my computer hates me. I should speak nicer to it. :puf_wink: :exclamation:

moneykube

05 Jan 2023

jam-s wrote:
05 Jan 2023
For me to get all REs into HiRes I had to use about 4-times the "sync all" feature. Each time authorizer would stay frozen for quite some time but then download the next batch of HiRes updates... Not the best UX for sure. :puf_unhappy:
yikes...that really sucks. Yes... authorizer was hanging badly and I was not being as patient as I should be ( it just seemed like nothing was happening, as the ball spun around and around, while the application was telling me it was not responding. I seem to be fairing better than you did, "so far," >> I don't think authorizer was built to deal such a large number of racks.
Authorizer needs an overhaul, or as Joey said Companion for all.
Thank you for confirming that this high res/ update / authorizer / sync all issue> is indeed a "thing", and that I had done nothing wrong in my approach of upgrading, by deleting the non-high res racks shown in Authorizer. :thumbs_up:
4 now to go, then a second attempt at the rack that failed to update.

moneykube

06 Jan 2023

well... frost caused another power outage here in Canada last night just as sync all had "almost" finished. I lost the connection to server... I quit and shut down everything... I woke up at 3am (power was out for one hour at 10pm last night.) When I woke up at 3, I tried sync all , multiple times with the annoying endless spinning ball>I went back to bed while authorizer thought about working> but didn't .I woke up at six> and still a friggin spinning ball ! At least I knew the 3 racks still needed, to update... if you hit download on individual racks it seems to be "sort" of working "perhaps"??? Turns out that Champagne SuperNova Vintage Synthesizer 1.1.0 downloads fast, but because the name is so long, authorizer does not SAY it is high res, because the name is too long to allow "high res" to be stated in authorizer. Aquios X4 and Hydronexius are now downloading at a snails pace... hopefully they will be all licensed when this nightmare download is complete. Both the last two racks were almost downloaded when the power went off for an hour last night... it had about a half hour to go, but my battery backup systems UPSs> would not make that long.... what a complete and utter pain in the ass just to get racks at high res... quite unacceptable. Again I have to open authorizer myself and not by the site, using the usual ways... it's not like this company has not made loads of money from me. My wish is they take some of that money and fix these issues. Please take the time to fix your wonky authorizing system Reason Studios ( once you come back from a "Well Deserved Holiday"???LOL ) WOW >>> when I worked in the film / audio industry in professional studios in the city>>holidays were a "luxury" and non existent if things were not going as planned. Much like this Reason 12 venture of problems. Who knows, I may have to revert back to my Reason 11 time machine backup after all > with all the fun that goes with that. :lol: Will not know if this is the case for what appears like about 4 hours. I am not in the mood for any smart ass remarks ( such as " paragraphs man, paragraphs")> nor do I want to hear about how every thing is peachy keen in YOUR worlds, or things like "no one else is reporting these problems." >> WHEN I HAVE INDEED READ THE NIGHTMARE STORIES FROM OTHERS>.SMH.
I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL USER SINCE REASON 2.5 !
SYNC ALL SHOULD NOT BE AN ENDLESS SPINNING BALL...> No matter how many racks one owns...
Punishment for supporting the company? :? :shock:
Oh, and good morning to all !!!! :clap:

DaveyG

06 Jan 2023

moneykube wrote:
06 Jan 2023
well... frost caused another power outage here in Canada last night just as sync all had "almost" finished. I lost the connection to server... I quit and shut down everything... I woke up at 3am (power was out for one hour at 10pm last night.) When I woke up at 3, I tried sync all , multiple times with the annoying endless spinning ball>I went back to bed while authorizer thought about working> but didn't .I woke up at six> and still a friggin spinning ball ! At least I knew the 3 racks still needed, to update... if you hit download on individual racks it seems to be "sort" of working "perhaps"??? Turns out that Champagne SuperNova Vintage Synthesizer 1.1.0 downloads fast, but because the name is so long, authorizer does not SAY it is high res, because the name is too long to allow "high res" to be stated in authorizer. Aquios X4 and Hydronexius are now downloading at a snails pace... hopefully they will be all licensed when this nightmare download is complete. Both the last two racks were almost downloaded when the power went off for an hour last night... it had about a half hour to go, but my battery backup systems UPSs> would not make that long.... what a complete and utter pain in the ass just to get racks at high res... quite unacceptable. Again I have to open authorizer myself and not by the site, using the usual ways... it's not like this company has not made loads of money from me. My wish is they take some of that money and fix these issues. Please take the time to fix your wonky authorizing system Reason Studios ( once you come back from a "Well Deserved Holiday"???LOL ) WOW >>> when I worked in the film / audio industry in professional studios in the city>>holidays were a "luxury" and non existent if things were not going as planned. Much like this Reason 12 venture of problems. Who knows, I may have to revert back to my Reason 11 time machine backup after all > with all the fun that goes with that. :lol: Will not know if this is the case for what appears like about 4 hours. I am not in the mood for any smart ass remarks ( such as " paragraphs man, paragraphs")> nor do I want to hear about how every thing is peachy keen in YOUR worlds, or things like "no one else is reporting these problems." >> WHEN I HAVE INDEED READ THE NIGHTMARE STORIES FROM OTHERS>.SMH.
I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL USER SINCE REASON 2.5 !
SYNC ALL SHOULD NOT BE AN ENDLESS SPINNING BALL...> No matter how many racks one owns...
Punishment for supporting the company? :? :shock:
Oh, and good morning to all !!!! :clap:

Aaaand... breathe....

Sometimes technology sucks.
And definitely try not to think about the guy at RS who hates you and who gleefully pulls the Sync All plug just before it completes. He probably high-fives his imaginary friend each and every time too.

moneykube

06 Jan 2023

lol..Breaths in... breaths out... sigh.... now going through the 15 pages of racks authorizer pretended to install... I am finding MANY MANY racks it missed. I now must go check each friggen page and download the ones it missed as well. :shock:

moneykube

06 Jan 2023

83 missing just going through page 1 to the end of page 7... great system !
8 pages to go :thumbs_down:

jam-s

06 Jan 2023

moneykube wrote:
06 Jan 2023
83 missing just going through page 1 to the end of page 7... great system !
8 pages to go :thumbs_down:
I feel your pain. :puf_unhappy:

Arpeg
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

REASON STUDIOS what is going on with Authorizer and Sync ALL. Does this happen with Reason+ Subscriptions and/or fully paid. Any new user will no doubt hit this major problem and I think 'oh no, what have I got myself in to' type of thing. Now, VST3 is here, we can now turn our attention to AUTHORIZER and what appears to be getting slightly worse per update, as it has not got better. I was ok, it worked for me after the 2nd try although Auth... did hang for a short while.
Sorry to read your troubles Monkey, not good really.

moneykube

07 Jan 2023

I lost count how many were missed... I can figure it out once they all download> having to go through product pages, and selecting them one at a time> since my large number of racks, appear to cause an eternal spinning ball when trying sync all> Sync all did work ONCE, near the beginning of this process , after an hour or so of waiting . I thought it had updated everything, but was sadly wrong about that pipe dream... It is surprising to me that a LARGE number of Reason Studios, very own rack extensions were also missing (large ones) > Today , day 3 of downloads is under way, just to get high res on racks...( I imagine this does not effect reason plus users using companion, and is likely a reserved "joy" for perpetual users, who purchased the program, but don't subscribe). I got 3 mysterious kernel errors but they don't tell you what rack may have been effected. I had two happen the other day, and once during downloads last night. Aside from that, can any kind soul tell me if the following racks come up as high res for them. I downloaded these 3 yesterday, and noticed yesterday that they were not high res> even with a fresh download. I am just waking up (6am here), so I will check if others did the same last night> since there was one mysterious kernel error in the night it appears.
1. Aqueous x 4 workstation Rom 1.0.2
( ^^this one may have had 1 or 2 of the kernel errors but since the message is unspecific, I don't really know)
2. Beat Crush 12-Bit Distortion 1.1.0
3. FM4 FM Synthesizer 2.0.0
If they come up as high res for you folks, I will redownload them once these, " perhaps" last 6 racks cued, complete downloading. I find this all quite frustrating, and I have not yet had time to check if they show up and are indeed authorized in Reason 12 or 11, since I am still in the process of downloading. I should know later today. This is beyond what I feared might happen, and why I waited 8 months from purchase date, while the many bugs were sort of being worked out> I have been watching the many comments here on the forums waiting for a somewhat stable version and what I expected to be very few problems. As these downloads finish> if some kind soul could check if the above racks appear as high res in authorizer for you or not. I don't want to redownload them if I don't have to. I have had enough of downloading to do, that was quite unexpected for me. LOL... and I was worried about the other bugs I have read about through release until now Sigh.

moneykube

07 Jan 2023

update >all downloads say they are done in authorizer. I had to shut authorizer down once yesterday because things seemed to get bogged down. Restarting authorizer fixed that but I got the following message when quitting authorizer yesterday and now again today. There were and are no downloads appearing to be happening when I checked through both times, yet again today I get this message. What is being downloaded is a mystery to me. And quitting does not work. I have to force quit authorizer now for some odd reason.
Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 7.26.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 7.26.16 AM.png (43.14 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
Update 2 >Approximately 357 racks were somehow missed with sync all ,and needed to be reinstalled so they would be high res> selecting each missing one individually. No more came up as not high res... only the 3 mentioned above.
I am not sure if the developers did not update them to high res or this is another quirk.
Do these show as high res for people?
1. Aquios x 4 Workstation Rom 1.0.2 ( typed the name wrong as I was just waking up)
2. Beat Crush 12-Bit Distortion 1.1.0
3. FM4 FM Synthesizer 2.0.0
Last edited by moneykube on 07 Jan 2023, edited 4 times in total.

MuttReason

07 Jan 2023

IME Authoriser has been prone to flaky behaviour for a long time, under R11 as well as R12.

I made the decision to sign up to R+ after many months of resisting the whole subscription thing and expected R+ Companion to be the same as Authoriser ie mostly OK most of the time but also regularly unreliable for no obvious reason.

Much to my surprise… Companion is flawless. Easily the best software update front-end of any app on my computer (non-music stuff as well as music production stuff)… simple, clear, fast and (so far) super reliable.

Whatever RS are doing with Companion, they should do with Authoriser. Or even better, just merge the latter into the former so everyone has the same experience.

Tomtom

07 Jan 2023

Tbh. i don't use it yet. In the beginning i've read that it is buggy and laggy. I was afraid that it takes too much power from my CPU. Can someone in this thread tell how much more CPU-use R12 has with the newest version? Much more than 11? (I am running currently Reason 11 Suite). On the other hand i don't know if i need the benefits of 12. If there had been a new synthesizer...maybe. But a sampler... not for me :D But i am still interested in it.

• Information