Why does the sequencer change grid resolution at random?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BeReasonable

29 Dec 2022

I can't seem to figure out the logic why reason does this. I thought it was something I was doing but after the last time it happened I have no clue.

Example:

Had a 16 bar phrase. Set grid to 1/16. Looked fine. Went to change the right loop point to halfway so I could concentrate on the first half. As soon as I did that the resolution switched to bar.

motuscott

29 Dec 2022

In the sequencer under the Snap drop down menu, there are choices including grid which is relative to your zoom level and others that don't change.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Pepin

29 Dec 2022

There are two different snap settings in the Sequencer: One for editing MIDI and one for everything else. Even if you stay in Edit Mode it will switch between the two settings depending on what you're doing.

selig
RE Developer

29 Dec 2022

Far as I’ve ever been able to figure out, there are just three Snap related settings, one for clip edits (the default), another for all EDIT modes (the ‘confusing’ one IMO which includes Slice, Pitch, Comp, and Automation edit modes), and another for Quantize in the Transport and Tool Window.
Does anyone have examples of when this isn’t happening, or exceptions to the above?
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

29 Dec 2022

I don't know but I always wished I could set it to one resolution and have it just stay there! Always found this confusing and annoying yet it's just a step to correct it so never looked past it.

Eclipxe

07 Jan 2023

On the other hand I love how Reason handles the Grid based resolution changes

BeReasonable

07 Jan 2023

Jagwah wrote:
29 Dec 2022
I don't know but I always wished I could set it to one resolution and have it just stay there! Always found this confusing and annoying yet it's just a step to correct it so never looked past it.
This is one of the problems with the reason design philosophy: They don't offer much customization to suit individual preferences and needs. A lot of it seems to be based on "this is our way of doing it, if you want to do it a different way you're wrong, so we're not going to let you do what you want".

There are so many things they could let us improve if they went beyond the basic preference page that pretty much has stayed the same since they introduced record.

• Information