Is there any way to disable the "ctrl+W" instant close feature?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
plasticfractal

29 Dec 2022

I frequently hit ctrl+S to save. I've been burned too many times by crashes where I lost progress. However, for some reason I can't comprehend, we get a hotkey shortcut that insta-closes a song without any dialog prompt or warning (Ctrl+W). ANy other method of closing a song, and Reason will prompt and ask if you want to close if it detected changes. But with ctrl+W, Reason just zaps your song shut and your changes are gone. And on a keyboard, the W is right above the S. I can't count how many times I've accidentally hit the W and it just closes instantly. Or even if I'm trying to carefully just hit the S, I might accidentally nudge the W and bam there goes my song. Is there any way to disable the ctrl+W feature? Or at least a make it prompt you first?

deeplink
Competition Winner

29 Dec 2022

I don't think ctrl-w is an instant close. It should behave the same as regulating quitting - I.e ask if you want to save changes.

If not then perhaps this is a bug?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

huggermugger

29 Dec 2022

Ctrl/Cmd W always gives you the dialog box if anything has changed in the project and it hasn't already been saved. Note that if the project has more than one window (e.g. a window for the Rack and another for the Mixer), Ctrl/Cmd W may close one window instantly, but leave the other window open, which means the project is still open. Maybe this is what's happening and you're thinking the song got closed without your permission.

As deeplink said, if you're not getting the dialog, maybe there's a bug.

plasticfractal

29 Dec 2022

For me, ctrl-W is always just an instant close, it never prompts me, even if I've made changes to the song. This has burned me way more times than I care to admit! I know I should be more careful, but man, I have accidentally hit W instead of S so many times, and lost progress. Maybe it is a bug, then. I'm on Windows, for what it's worth.

• Information