Reason + I’ve cancelled as it’s skewed towards new users

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Rompla

23 Dec 2022

Like the headline
Been on it since ver 2.0
I like reason + tbh but there is no incentive to renew the annual membership - new users get a way better deal should be same especially for loyal customers ( ok skipped ver 6&7 )
Ok I know they need to attract ever more customers for the hedge fund backers but surely they also lose loyal customer base ?

Quoting £200 paid £99 last time have reason 11 suite but going to miss some of them players - baseline generator and chord sequencer I’m talking to you !
Mimic as well
But double the price no thanks

robussc

23 Dec 2022

I picked up bass line generator and chord sequencer when they were on sale. But yeah I can’t imagine signing up for Reason+ even first time.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2022

The price is why I will not subscribe to R+.

It's not a good price. I can get EWQL for slightly less. Roland Cloud. Presonus Sphere. All offering far more for less (sometimes a lot less).

The 50% off for a year will not win over many new users because they know they will have to pay the full price afterwards.

And the promo prices are not a good gauge of how people would respond if that promo price was its actual price (because they will be factoring in the price to continue using it).

Every once in a while I'll consider it, but can't because I know what else I could get instead. But the offering itself is solid. It's just priced out of the no-brainer territory.

Algoritm, Friktion, Mimic (though free with R12 anyway), Complex-1, all them other stuff from R11, and other REs ... all awesome ... but hard for someone collecting libraries and plugins for 20 years to justify.

Maybe I'll cave in someday ... but I doubt it'll be before I've first dug into every other alternative and got bored of them ... ... I've already done EWQL and Roland Cloud, ...

jlgrimes

23 Dec 2022

Rompla wrote:
23 Dec 2022
Like the headline
Been on it since ver 2.0
I like reason + tbh but there is no incentive to renew the annual membership - new users get a way better deal should be same especially for loyal customers ( ok skipped ver 6&7 )
Ok I know they need to attract ever more customers for the hedge fund backers but surely they also lose loyal customer base ?

Quoting £200 paid £99 last time have reason 11 suite but going to miss some of them players - baseline generator and chord sequencer I’m talking to you !
Mimic as well
But double the price no thanks
Yeah. I just plan to pick and choose as I'm only interested in specific devices anyways and usually can catch sales.

If they had a concept like Plugin Alliance where at the end of your subscription you can buy certain devices/packs with subscription credits I would be more tempted.

it would also help if certain 3rd Party REs where included as well as I think they need to get more 3rd party developers involved to where they can focus less on devices and more on the Plugin itself, DAW, and RE technology itself as Plugin Alliance is actually multiple developers. Probably harder for Reason as a company though as Plugin Alliance is probably setup alot differently as a company.

Goriila Texas

23 Dec 2022

Algoritm and Friktion are not free I'm on 12v and paid for Friktion and don't own Algoritm. I also bought v11 suite so I just about own everything RS made.

avasopht wrote:
23 Dec 2022
The price is why I will not subscribe to R+.

It's not a good price. I can get EWQL for slightly less. Roland Cloud. Presonus Sphere. All offering far more for less (sometimes a lot less).

The 50% off for a year will not win over many new users because they know they will have to pay the full price afterwards.

And the promo prices are not a good gauge of how people would respond if that promo price was its actual price (because they will be factoring in the price to continue using it).

Every once in a while I'll consider it, but can't because I know what else I could get instead. But the offering itself is solid. It's just priced out of the no-brainer territory.

Algoritm, Friktion, Mimic (though free with R12 anyway), Complex-1, all them other stuff from R11, and other REs ... all awesome ... but hard for someone collecting libraries and plugins for 20 years to justify.

Maybe I'll cave in someday ... but I doubt it'll be before I've first dug into every other alternative and got bored of them ... ... I've already done EWQL and Roland Cloud, ...

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
23 Dec 2022
Algoritm and Friktion are not free I'm on 12v and paid for Friktion and don't own Algoritm. I also bought v11 suite so I just about own everything RS made.
Oh no, I just meant Mimic.

QVprod

24 Dec 2022

That’s music software subscriptions in general. If you’ve been doing this long enough, you possibly already have more than you actually need.

Jackjackdaw

24 Dec 2022

QVprod wrote:
24 Dec 2022
That’s music software subscriptions in general. If you’ve been doing this long enough, you possibly already have more than you actually need.
That’s how I felt with the R+ trial. There was some nice stuff in there I didn’t own but I already bought the stuff I want to be productive with. The rest is a distraction.

helmutson

24 Dec 2022

R+ was and still is, a slap in the face for every long time R user. I paid for every f... RE. :thumbs_down:

challism

24 Dec 2022

helmutson wrote:
24 Dec 2022
R+ was and still is, a slap in the face for every long time R user. I paid for every f... RE. :thumbs_down:
So you would rather rent than buy? I don't believe most people would prefer to rent. I would prefer to own my REs. I don't see how it is a slap in the face. That statement seems a little dramatic.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

crimsonwarlock

24 Dec 2022

helmutson wrote:
24 Dec 2022
Why is it that people think that R+ users get things for free, while the perpetual owners (like myself) have to pay for stuff?

Look at it from the other side: I don't have to pay every month to have access to Reason, but R+ users do.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

challism

24 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Dec 2022
helmutson wrote:
24 Dec 2022
Why is it that people think that R+ users get things for free, while the perpetual owners (like myself) have to pay for stuff?

Look at it from the other side: I don't have to pay every month to have access to Reason, but R+ users do.
Exactly
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

WaxTrax

26 Dec 2022

I am sure RS has gone over the subscription from just about every angle possible (and therefore have already thought about this idea), but I think it would be cool if they offered a graded "loyalty" percentage discount on the R+ subscription based on how much you have invested in RS over the years through your account.

For example, if you bought X number of upgrade licenses over time, you'll get an X percentage discount on the R+ subscription. It would be even better if such a scheme included money spent on REs too (since they must be purchased through RS anyway). I have a $3,000 investment in REs over the years, and it would be cool if that counted for something in such a percentage-off scheme on a R+ subscription.

I have been a R+ subscriber since May 2021 through a $99 promo. Last year I was able to get it for a little less than $99 through another promo. I will not pay $199 for it, and I would have a hard time justifying the latest $133 promos. Depending on the updates and inclusions, I can possibly continue to justify $99 or less.

Yonatan

27 Dec 2022

WaxTrax wrote:
26 Dec 2022
I am sure RS has gone over the subscription from just about every angle possible (and therefore have already thought about this idea), but I think it would be cool if they offered a graded "loyalty" percentage discount on the R+ subscription based on how much you have invested in RS over the years through your account.

For example, if you bought X number of upgrade licenses over time, you'll get an X percentage discount on the R+ subscription. It would be even better if such a scheme included money spent on REs too (since they must be purchased through RS anyway). I have a $3,000 investment in REs over the years, and it would be cool if that counted for something in such a percentage-off scheme on a R+ subscription.

I have been a R+ subscriber since May 2021 through a $99 promo. Last year I was able to get it for a little less than $99 through another promo. I will not pay $199 for it, and I would have a hard time justifying the latest $133 promos. Depending on the updates and inclusions, I can possibly continue to justify $99 or less.
Sounds too complicated to become reality.
Might be more just if we would to get Reward point retroaktive as that was only for later years, not all that one spent earlier. Getting a good amount of points for all the buys before Reward system came about, would be best option I can see. Then we are on equal after that. And make one be able to spend points on R+ and Reason upgrade if one wish.
And those who want to get their RS collection up to date can do so. Would get rid of complains about all we have spent earlier.

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2022

I totally see peoples perspective on this but sadly better deals for new customers is not just a reason thing. If you look outside of music software here in the UK lots of companies like sky TV/ Bt TV, etc have been doing this for years. Personally if you are offering a deal it should be for anyone in my opinion.

With sky I complained a couple of times and when I was not tied into the contract (as you sign up for a certain period) they did offer me the new customer deals but ONLY when I complained and told them to end the contract as I would use a different provider.

Not sure you could do this with RS unless you were happy to switch daws but then you lose access to all your music creations so different thing to TV, Internet etc. You could export all the audio and midi but its not the same as being able to open your project anymore.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2022

Popey wrote:
27 Dec 2022
I totally see peoples perspective on this but sadly better deals for new customers is not just a reason thing. If you look outside of music software here in the UK lots of companies like sky TV/ Bt TV, etc have been doing this for years. Personally if you are offering a deal it should be for anyone in my opinion.

With sky I complained a couple of times and when I was not tied into the contract (as you sign up for a certain period) they did offer me the new customer deals but ONLY when I complained and told them to end the contract as I would use a different provider.

Not sure you could do this with RS unless you were happy to switch daws but then you lose access to all your music creations so different thing to TV, Internet etc. You could export all the audio and midi but its not the same as being able to open your project anymore.
Yeah, you can get some good deals just by saying you want to cancel for a better one.

I first learned this when I genuinely didn't want the Three deal they were offering me when I wanted to switch plans. Offering me better deals each time I declined, I ended up being offered an unlimited plan with an iPhone that had a total cost that was less than the iPhone itself!

And since then, I've always been able to get a better deal as I know how far I can push them ;)

I even got *Some major library creator* to offer me a massive discount because I had so much of their library that a certain bundle largely consisted of what I already had.

Propellerhead on the other hand does not budge.

• Information