Signal Path question: Insert FX vs Placing FX after an instrument or audio?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tomusurp

20 Dec 2022

I understand Insert FX signal path depends on what you select in the SSL

What about if I'm putting FX by right-clicking for example an instrument and selecting an FX, at which then the output of instrument goes into FX input etc.

Does that altered sound become the source? Basically is it the source sound before the signal path of the SSL (dynamics, EQ, insert fx)
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

huggermugger

20 Dec 2022

Yes. If you attach an effect directly to an instrument in the rack, they behave as a single sound source. But if you drop the effect into the Insert window, then it's inserted into the signal path according to the settings on the SSL.

robussc

22 Dec 2022

tomusurp wrote:
20 Dec 2022

What about if I'm putting FX by right-clicking for example an instrument and selecting an FX, at which then the output of instrument goes into FX input etc.

Does that altered sound become the source? Basically is it the source sound before the signal path of the SSL (dynamics, EQ, insert fx)
Check the input section of the channel strip. There you can pick the processing order. See p. 453 for the details.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

selig
RE Developer

23 Dec 2022

tomusurp wrote:
20 Dec 2022

Yes, exactly as if you had a hardware keyboard and FX pedal plugged into a tape machine, vs connecting the keyboard directly and inserting an effect on the console.
It’s really your choice/workflow. I often put an effect directly on the instrument if it HAS to be on the instrument, like with a synth that doesn’t have built in FX.
I alternatively put the FX in the insert if it’s a mix decision, meaning the FX may be altered depending on the mix (or who is mixing the track), or the FX has a non-zero chance of being changed or altered.
Think of it this way - if you were sending the track to a big name mixer to mix, and they asked for ‘essential FX ONLY’ on tracks, would you include it or not? That way, if you choose Bounce Mixer Channels without inserts/faders (ideal for exports for mixing), any FX directly connected to instruments ARE included, while any in the inserts are NOT included - make sense?
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

23 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
23 Dec 2022
I often put an effect directly on the instrument if it HAS to be on the instrument, like with a synth that doesn’t have built in FX.
Same here. FX that are part of the 'sound' I'm after, go directly after the instrument. I tend to reserve the inserts for the mixing stage.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

robussc

23 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
23 Dec 2022
selig wrote:
23 Dec 2022
I often put an effect directly on the instrument if it HAS to be on the instrument, like with a synth that doesn’t have built in FX.
Same here. FX that are part of the 'sound' I'm after, go directly after the instrument. I tend to reserve the inserts for the mixing stage.
Seems like a good use for a combi?
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

crimsonwarlock

23 Dec 2022

robussc wrote:
23 Dec 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
23 Dec 2022
Only if I want to save that configuration as a preset, which I seldom do. Inside a project, I see no advantage of combining an instrument and its sound FX into a combi, especially as I'm using project templates with quite a bit of organization already.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

23 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
23 Dec 2022
robussc wrote:
23 Dec 2022

Only if I want to save that configuration as a preset, which I seldom do. Inside a project, I see no advantage of combining an instrument and its sound FX into a combi, especially as I'm using project templates with quite a bit of organization already.
Plus, it won’t help if the instrument or the FX is already a Combi… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

robussc

23 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
23 Dec 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
23 Dec 2022

Plus, it won’t help if the instrument or the FX is already a Combi… ;)
Good point!

• Information