Reason Companion unable to update REs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

17 Dec 2022

Hey all! This just started randomly today - trying to update two REs and then it sits on "Unpacking" for ages and then gives a File System Error. Any clues? Thanks!

Windows 10.

jam-s

17 Dec 2022

If there's enough free space it could be a bad sector on the HDD/SSD. Does it still occur after a full power cycle?

maticko

20 Dec 2022

Same here.
Happens, when I try to update bassline generator to 1.1.0
Everything was fine before i installed the latest Reason-Update (12.5d29)

TheGrandmother

20 Dec 2022

Howdy!

Does it only happen when updating REs? Did you have Reason on whilst you were downloading the update?
My spider sense tells me that you Reason was running and had a lock on the RE files and companion failed to deal with that in a sensible way.

bieh

20 Dec 2022

This has just started happening on my system as well. However, all cases of the problem have eventually resolved themselves during further attempts while I have been writing this, except for updating Fritz to hi-res.

In case others experiencing it want to compare notes, it has happened in all of the following ways:

- While Reason is running and while it's not running.
- When aiming to download a new Rack Extension, upgrade an existing one, or upgrading to high-res.
- When attempting to download using Authorizer prior to using the Companion to actually install, and when attempting without the Authorizer step.
- Temporarily with some Rack Extensions but persistently without resolution with others (ie there are some I have not been able to download or update at all despite trying multiple times in multiple ways).

It has involved the following REs:
- Pipeline Pressure Control, ZPlane Morphing Filter, Fritz*, SMFX Dual Saturator - initially unable to download, then was later able.
- * But Fritz is unable to upgrade to hi-res.
- Launcheon - initial trouble updating, then later updated automatically.

In all cases of a problem it's been at the "Unpacking" stage, which has stalled and then resulted in a "File System Error".

Three other possibly key points:
- My PC is powerful but old.
- I use the Mklink approach to store Rack Extensions on a non-C drive on my PC.
- I recently upgraded Reason to 12.5d29, the new VST3-capable version, and the problem seems to have occurred only since then.

TheGrandmother

21 Dec 2022

Hmmmm.... Okay this super strange and incredibly annoying. v1.9.9 should specifically address a bunch of random file system related errors. But Windows filesystems are annoying and the code for handling RE downloads is complicated.

I am still 8% certain that Reason is leaving lockfiles laying around for some reason. One thing that you could try to do is to simply just remove the RE folder from the RackExtensions folder and re download it again.

There isn't really anything I can do without logs and there aren't anything in our Error monitoring systems that is helpfull.
Could you all who have experienced this create support tickets about this, add the logs which live in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Reason+ Companion\logs (both the main and renderer logs) and attach a link to this thread.

Lots of thanks for all the feedback!

maticko

21 Dec 2022

Hello all,

tried again today after a reboot, same thing.
Reason is not started at this point.

As user bieh I also use the Mklink to store Rack Extensions on another drive than C:

I now opened a Support Ticket.
Thanks!

maticko

21 Dec 2022

One more thing:

I also have "moved" the Packs-Folder via mklink to another location (already months ago, same time as I moved the RackExtensions-folder) > Installing new soundpacks works without any problems!

Packs-Folder: Moved from its default location on C: to >> L:\Reason\Packs
RackExtensions-Folder: Moved from its default location on C: to >> L:\Reason\RackExtensions

Matthias

pluckshimmer

21 Dec 2022

... same probs here!

i did a complete uninstall and reinstall of all reason-stuff... also checked win with chkdsk, winupdate, dism, sfc... no errors in my system-health!

did a ticket ... now waiting...

bieh

21 Dec 2022

bieh wrote:
20 Dec 2022
This has just started happening on my system as well. However, all cases of the problem have eventually resolved themselves during further attempts while I have been writing this, except for updating Fritz to hi-res.
After going to C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Downloads, deleting the PART file for Fritz, then uninstalling Fritz using the Companion, then re-installing using ONLY the Authorizer, Fritz was successfully installed in hi-res. I don't necessarily recommend doing this, because I don't know if any aspect of this approach was the solution, since all other instances of this problem with other devices seem to have eventually resolved themselves randomly anyway.

bieh

21 Dec 2022

TheGrandmother wrote:
21 Dec 2022
Could you all who have experienced this create support tickets about this, add the logs which live in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Reason+ Companion\logs (both the main and renderer logs) and attach a link to this thread.

Lots of thanks for all the feedback!
All instances of this problem for me are resolved (for now, at least), as I have just mentioned in a reply to my own first post on this topic, but I just thought I'd mention anyway that my system doesn't have a "Reason+ Companion" folder in the location you have mentioned here. (I do have Reason+). The closest thing to it is the general Reason logs folder at C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason\Logs.

jam-s

21 Dec 2022

I encountered this on updating the Receive Notes RE to version 1.3.0 via R+ Companion.
Using Authorizer (via Sync All from the website) the RE got updated without any trouble. As I have not updated R12 to 12.5 yet, I suppose it only has to do with the recent update from R+ Companion.

I've also relocated the RE and R+ packs folder to another HDD using the mklink trick.

pluckshimmer

22 Dec 2022

... i found a "dirty" solution:

while companion has downloaded the two problem-files and hangs for some seconds, i copied the two downloaded tmp-files to another tmp location, unpacked them with 7z , renamed the folders and copied them to the rackextension folder. you can find the right foldernames in the log-file in "C:\Users\"YOURNAME"\AppData\Roaming\Reason+ Companion\logs\main.log"

works for me at the moment and i can open my songs again.

TheGrandmother

22 Dec 2022

Hoowdy!

We have identified the problem and it is silly. We will release a fixed version soon but in the meantime you can use version 1.9.8
https://s3-eu-north-1.amazonaws.com/ph- ... .8-win.exe

We changed the companion to use the systems tempfolder when downloading to prevent some other bugs, but it turns out that we were doing some moving of files and on windows that creates links and cannot be done across devices. I thought that I had changed the moves to copy the files instead but I had forgotten a place >.<

maticko

22 Dec 2022

Hello TheGrandmother,

that was fast :) Thank you very much!
With verson 1.9.8 everything works fine now!

Best regards,

Matthias

graeme75

22 Dec 2022

Can we just run the 1.9.8 exe and it will overwrite the new version?

joeyluck

22 Dec 2022

On this topic, since several people have brought up creating symlinks for REs and moving REs to another location... Any chance that might ever be a natively supported option?

• Information