Reason 10 - midi only sent to Syntakt track 1

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
djst

13 Dec 2022

This is a rather specific question but I'm hoping that someone might know the answer.

I have a Keystep 37 plugged into my laptop via a usb hub, and then I have my Elektron Syntakt also plugged in via usb to the same hub.

The Keystep 37 happily controls whichever device is currently active in Reason 10, but if I select the Syntakt "instrument"/VST, it will always just control track 1 on the Syntakt. Keystep 37 can send to any of the 16 midi channels and its super quick to change channels, but regardless of whether it's set to midi channel 1, 2 or any other number, all I hear is the sound from Syntakt's track 1.

In the Syntakt midi configuration, each track has its own midi channel: track 1 corresponds to midi channel 1, and so on.

Is there something that happens when the midi input gets passed from the Keystep 37, via Reason 10, and then out to the VST that makes it switch the channel pit out to channel 1? Or is this a problem with the Overbridge software/VST instead?

chimp_spanner

14 Dec 2022

djst wrote:
13 Dec 2022
This is a rather specific question but I'm hoping that someone might know the answer.

I have a Keystep 37 plugged into my laptop via a usb hub, and then I have my Elektron Syntakt also plugged in via usb to the same hub.

The Keystep 37 happily controls whichever device is currently active in Reason 10, but if I select the Syntakt "instrument"/VST, it will always just control track 1 on the Syntakt. Keystep 37 can send to any of the 16 midi channels and its super quick to change channels, but regardless of whether it's set to midi channel 1, 2 or any other number, all I hear is the sound from Syntakt's track 1.

In the Syntakt midi configuration, each track has its own midi channel: track 1 corresponds to midi channel 1, and so on.

Is there something that happens when the midi input gets passed from the Keystep 37, via Reason 10, and then out to the VST that makes it switch the channel pit out to channel 1? Or is this a problem with the Overbridge software/VST instead?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think sequencer channels in Reason can handle MIDI channels. It's locked to 1 by default. What you *can* do is use the External MIDI Instrument, as that supports all 16 channels. I'm not familiar with Overbridge but it looks like it supports multi-channel audio streams over USB into your DAW via the plugin, correct? So you could sequence the MIDI using 4 External MIDI Instrument devices, but receive audio on the Overbridge's Mix Channel. I think that'd work.

huggermugger

14 Dec 2022

chimp_spanner is correct. Reason basically strips the MIDI channel from incoming data. The only way to rechannelize is to output or throughput via the External MIDI Instrument, which you must change manually.

PhillipOrdonez

14 Dec 2022

Hej, there is a way, cause it works the same with the DT, and I have done it. It's on a thread somewhere on this site, sterioevo was the one who wrote the answer you're looking for 🤔

Update:
Here's a thread. Didn't read but from what I gathered it was not in ob mode 🤔 viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7516258&hilit=Digi ... +sterioevo

• Information