The Entire History of Reason Studios (video)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
challism

11 Dec 2022

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

BRIGGS

11 Dec 2022

I'm old.

r11s

Loque

11 Dec 2022

Nice one. Well done.
Reason12, Win10

Bes
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2022

seems like that would have been a lot of work to make :thumbup:
- Certified Reason expert

dvdrtldg

11 Dec 2022

Nice job, although a couple of things jumped out at me that might cause confusion for someone coming to Reason for the first time:

12.50 - you make it sound as though Complex-1 shipped with Reason 11 as a native device like Thor or Kong (as opposed to being a paid RE, although I think it did come with 11 Suite)

13.20 - the acoustic piano plugin is Radical Piano, not Radical Keys (Radical Keys is the electric piano plugin, and afaik it's also a paid RE)

Also, as much as thought this was interesting, I kind of feel like a video titled "The Entire History of Reason Studios" should mention the lows as well as the highs, e.g. the Great Reason 12 Rollout Fuckup. That was a pretty significant moment if you're presenting a history, rather than an extended advertisement

Billy+

11 Dec 2022

Who made this?

I got distracted after about 3 minutes and couldn't be bothered to watch again...

Is the sale and subsequent takeover by an investment fund along with the significant increase cost in ownership and reduced discount of rack extensions during supposed sales coupled with an extreme lowering of innovation and completeness of major version releases in favour of a rolling development subscription model mentioned?

jam-s

11 Dec 2022

Yup, click-bait title and not all to accurate (some errors and missing quite a bit of detail and history like the PUF and patch/song sharing section, discover/alihoopa, the mobile apps etc.).

challism

11 Dec 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
11 Dec 2022
Nice job, although a couple of things jumped out at me that might cause confusion for someone coming to Reason for the first time:

12.50 - you make it sound as though Complex-1 shipped with Reason 11 as a native device like Thor or Kong (as opposed to being a paid RE, although I think it did come with 11 Suite)

13.20 - the acoustic piano plugin is Radical Piano, not Radical Keys (Radical Keys is the electric piano plugin, and afaik it's also a paid RE)

Also, as much as thought this was interesting, I kind of feel like a video titled "The Entire History of Reason Studios" should mention the lows as well as the highs, e.g. the Great Reason 12 Rollout Fuckup. That was a pretty significant moment if you're presenting a history, rather than an extended advertisement
I noticed that Complex-1 error. They also implied that Algoritm was included with R12. I missed the error about Radical Piano. I agree that the Great Reason 12 Rollout should have been mentioned.
Billy+ wrote:
11 Dec 2022
Who made this?

I got distracted after about 3 minutes and couldn't be bothered to watch again...

Is the sale and subsequent takeover by an investment fund along with the significant increase cost in ownership and reduced discount of rack extensions during supposed sales coupled with an extreme lowering of innovation and completeness of major version releases in favour of a rolling development subscription model mentioned?
ha ha ha, your last sentence had me laughing.
Yeah, the video definitely should have mentioned the corporate buyout of Propellerhead.
jam-s wrote:
11 Dec 2022
Yup, click-bait title and not all to accurate (some errors and missing quite a bit of detail and history like the PUF and patch/song sharing section, discover/alihoopa, the mobile apps etc.).
Interesting that the video mentioned ReasonTalk, but didn't mention PUF, Alihoopa or the other directions the company has taken (and then changed their mind).

dvdrtldg

12 Dec 2022

lol I'd forgotten about Alihoopa

visheshl

12 Dec 2022

:thumbup: Nice video, has a few errors but a good overview of history of this software. Also a journey down memory lane for a lot of us here too.

kitekrazy

12 Dec 2022

If I needed a history lesson all I have to do is open up the box where I keep those install discs going back to 4.

dioxide

12 Dec 2022

Full of errors but hey I still enjoyed it.

jlgrimes

12 Dec 2022

challism wrote:
11 Dec 2022
The interview with the former CEO someone posted here was pretty enlightening and was a great listen.

madmacman

12 Dec 2022

Wasn't there once a cool guy who created a poster of the Reason history? That was really nicely done!

I just don‘t know what exactly to search for in this forum.

arnigretar

12 Dec 2022

Entertaining video :) But missing some stuff - but not the end of the world. Entertaining it was!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

stillifegaijin

12 Dec 2022

There are a LOT of errors and major omissions. I guess it kind of enlightened me, not about Reason, but about how incomplete or incorrect his other videos, about DAWs I'm less familiar with, probably are.

Billy+

12 Dec 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
12 Dec 2022
There are a LOT of errors and major omissions. I guess it kind of enlightened me, not about Reason, but about how incomplete or incorrect his other videos, about DAWs I'm less familiar with, probably are.
It's a bit like a David Attenborough presentation

He's literally the leading experter but also responsible for the mass transportation of endangered species into zoos that have done nothing about the species other than charging exorbitant amounts of money to view the endangered species available in their collections. :o

Billy+

12 Dec 2022

challism wrote:
11 Dec 2022
ha ha ha, your last sentence had me laughing.
Yeah, the video definitely should have mentioned the corporate buyout of Propellerhead.
You can laugh, but I'm sure many people won't be - including me.

It's disgraceful that 20 plus years of loyalty has been replaced with an Apple mentality that buying into Reason is something that requires continuous investment (subscription) or complete loss of a product.

Personally I'm hoping that the investment fund looses their investment and sells the IP at a loss to real musicians that really want Reason standalone daw to become a product that everyone wants because it's not entirely different but that they have something different to offer that incorporates the current and advances beyond and into the future like rewire did.....

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2022

Billy+ wrote:
12 Dec 2022

You can laugh, but I'm sure many people won't be - including me.

It's disgraceful that 20 plus years of loyalty has been replaced with an Apple mentality that buying into Reason is something that requires continuous investment (subscription) or complete loss of a product.
Where was this announced exactly?

I remember forum members theorising the company I worked for was secretly planning this.

It's interesting seeing what people presume when you're on the inside.

It's like when you have a disagreement with someone and they start telling you what they think you're "really thinking". It should remind you of how wrong you and I can be about other people's intentions.

Subscription only makes sense to YOU. It sounds like a dumb move to me.

So the question is, what makes you think the people making the decisions think more like you then me?

dvdrtldg

12 Dec 2022

Billy+ wrote:
12 Dec 2022
Yeah dude me too. I can't believe they got rid of the license and are now making everyone pay a subscription

Except they didn't, and they're not

challism

13 Dec 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
12 Dec 2022
Billy+ wrote:
12 Dec 2022
Yeah dude me too. I can't believe they got rid of the license and are now making everyone pay a subscription

Except they didn't, and they're not
Yeah it totally sucks that this screenshot I just took from the RS shop isn't available in the shop anymore.
And I can't believe they put an expiration date on all my licenses.
(sarcasm, in case anyone thinks I'm serious)
sub.jpg
sub.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 1059 times

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2022

challism wrote:
13 Dec 2022

Yeah it totally sucks that this screenshot I just took from the RS shop isn't available in the shop anymore.
And I can't believe they put an expiration date on all my licenses.
(sarcasm, in case anyone thinks I'm serious)
sub.jpg
Darn that Ignition Key.

SebAudio

13 Dec 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
12 Dec 2022
Exactly my thoughts :|

jam-s

13 Dec 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
12 Dec 2022
The scary thing is that this also applies to pretty much any news article. When you're deep into the subject you notice all the little misconceptions and errors. And then you can extrapolate this to the other articles of things that you're not as deep into.

• Information