Audio Recording Overflow!!!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
petecampbell

04 Dec 2022

This is problem is unbelievable.

I just got my latest mac studio including super SSD disk.
I'm trying to record a single audio track and i get the annoying message:

Audio Recording Overflow"""""
There was too much disk activity when recording audio.
If you’re recording multiple tracks, try turning off the Record Enable switches for some of the tracks. If there are other applications accessing the hard disk, quit these before recording."""""

What is with this? I just want reason to record i have a great computer there is no excuse.
Does anyone know what this is and what to do?

selig
RE Developer

05 Dec 2022

Not at all sure what's going on, but I believe that is a drive related dialog.
I have a new Mac Studio and SSD internal AND external. I record to the external drive, which is likely recommended (if possible). I track drums regularly with 11-12 channels and with no problems whatsoever, even on my old 2014 iMac. I record at 44.1 kHz sample rate at the default Max Audio Thread setting, and with "Render audio using audio card buffer size setting" selected typically with a buffer around 256 samples (or just above/below). I previously used a MIDAS M32r via USB to record, now using Apollo interfaces. I rebuilt this system from scratch instead of using migration assistant so pretty sure no special settings or extensions running beyond what was absolutely necessary to get up and running!

What interface/settings are you using?
Selig Audio, LLC

PropitiousME

05 Dec 2022

You're not alone. I've seen this exact problem reported on MAC on numerous occasions while surfing around various forums, example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/reasoners/comm ... _overflow/

Nobody seems to have an answer either. Reason being Reason... I'd open a ticket. You shouldn't be having the issue under any circumstance with just one audio track unless your requested bit-depth and sample rate are exceeding your machine's capabilities? Selig is right, need more info:
  • Soundcard Type / Buffer / Sample-Rate / Bit-Depth Settings
  • What you're recording (internal VST vs external audio input)
I forget the ins and outs of Core Audio on MAC, but if you're indeed on an external soundcard then can you try switching to Core Audio that's based off the built-in soundcard that comes with the MAC? Basically, see if it's reproducible under multiple driver sets. Will help push troubleshooting in correct direction. Open 'Activity Monitor' on the MAC and verify what's happening with CPU, RAM and especially DISK utilization when you try to do this in Reason. Are any of them spiking (IE. hitting 100%, pegging out). All good info to help with diagnosis when you submit ticket to RS.

EnochLight

05 Dec 2022

Yeesh.. yeah something is definitely afoot. I haven't got a disk overflow issue like... never. And my old ass 10+ year old PC is using fairly unremarkable SSD's. Hopefully the OP can get things sorted.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information