Multiple remotemap files ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
visheshl

04 Dec 2022

Hi, so i have a question,
Is it possible to split this huge remotemap file which contains maps for hundreds of devices into multiple files? For example by developer ?
So there's one remotemap file for reason studios devices, another file for another developer's REs and so on ?

visheshl

04 Dec 2022

Single remotemap file was ok when RE platform wasn't there, only stock devices were there.
Now there are hundreds of different rack extensions...i think it would be more sensible and manageable to have multiple remotemap files rather than one big file comprising of all the REs...

mjxl

04 Dec 2022

I wouldn't mind having them per device even, modularity = win :) !

visheshl

04 Dec 2022

Sure why not, if one of the devices is not working correctly or you want to edit it, why not have per device files.
At least you can map each device properly and save the file.
So you know that editing something else in a large file did not screw up other devices mapping.
Yes reason should have a window where is shows you which device mapping is working correctly. It could be a tick mark next to file name like a tick mark on the controller.

However i understand that they probably would implement it, however with some caveats and it would end up being more difficult to make maps than the current method.
So yeah I'd rather not have this if it will make things more difficult.

(Mod housekeeping: visheshl's next post)
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:22 pm

It would be good for hardware controller manufacturers too...they need not edit the original file if they want to add support for a new device or RE.

Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:24 pm

Sure it would mean hundreds of files in the mapping folder, but i still think that would be much better than one big file with hundreds of maps

Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:29 pm

But all of this of course depends on the intention of reason studios whether they really wish to allow their customers to make custom remote maps for their controller or not.

Of course another solution is a simple separate utility which always generates proper maps for each controller and each device.
If reason studios really wanted, it's not that difficult to program a utility to generate custom remote maps.

It's all about intention that's all.

Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:52 pm

Quite frankly, my existing setup with Ableton Live works perfectly well.
I just thought that maybe i could revert to using reason standalone and not using reason as a vst inside Ableton.
Thats all...but if reason studios don't really want their customers to use reason as their primary DAW with a proper controller setup, then who am I to question them...

I just happened to load reason standalone the other day, and thought, hey this is nice.
Even with the limitations of the DAW, i thought, why not give this a shot again.
Anyway...will probably go back to Ableton as the DAW.

MOD NOTE: Please don't post numerous posts back-to-back if nobody else has posted a reply to your previous comment
Last edited by visheshl on 04 Dec 2022, edited 1 time in total.

loopeydoug

04 Dec 2022

I would love to see a separate utility for creating custom remote maps. Mainly because for years I've dreamed of having per-patch remote maps.

visheshl

04 Dec 2022

Well...i think per patch remote maps would be too much, but hey, if there's a mapping utility and you want to use it for per patch maps...as of now i don't see any problems with it.
I could be wrong though...it could create problems...or maybe not...who knows...but at least it would be easier to map any controller properly.

Pepin

04 Dec 2022

Are you using spreadsheet software, not a text editor?
That's how they're intended to be edited, as they're tab-delimited files.

Ansar

06 Dec 2022

If you are using multiple remotemap files, you will need to add a line to each file that specifies which file to load next. The format for this line is: next_file=filename where filename is the name of the next file to load. You can use full paths or relative paths. If you use relative paths, be sure to specify them relative to the first file in the sequence.

jam-s

06 Dec 2022

Ansar wrote:
06 Dec 2022
If you are using multiple remotemap files, you will need to add a line to each file that specifies which file to load next. The format for this line is: next_file=filename where filename is the name of the next file to load. You can use full paths or relative paths. If you use relative paths, be sure to specify them relative to the first file in the sequence.
The cake is a lie! Don't trust this GPT-3 bot. :mrgreen:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2022

Remote Maps are already per hardware device. If you had per reason device/per hardware device, it would be a really big mess.

I once created an app for remote map editing. It worked ok'ish but had a bunch of flaws, and I ended using it less than editing the remotes in the files, so I stopped working on it. But it even had a little database that managed remotes/hartware devices and generated something like what you're saying (You selected the harware/device pair, and based on the remote description, it would add the remotables on the screen for editing). You could in the end export the remote, and feed it into your remote file.

I think a real investment from Reason Studios would be interesting, doing something that Steinberg did with cubase 12. But working... :)

• Information