Reason Stock Sounds Valid Still?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FrankJaeger

30 Nov 2022

Hi ya'll,
I was just wondering how many people still use the stock sounds in Reason (FSB, Orkester etc)? I personally think they still sound nice, even if they are a bit thin/hollow sounding. The drum samples sort of stink too and I almost never use them but I was able to make a nice beat where the melody was all stock sounds. I added my own drum and bass samples and VOILA a slightly retro sounding track.

What do you guys think?
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

ArcoZ

30 Nov 2022

Still valid. And will be valid through next millenia.
It don't mean there are more quality sounds out there.

Steedus
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2022

Depends who you're trying to impress I suppose. I'm sure there are people out there who MUST have the latest content at all times. But genuinely, in music/audio - if it sounds good, it sounds good :thumbs_up:

That said, variety is also a factor, and after all these years, new pieces of gear/plugins/FX are ofcourse always welcome!

joeyluck

30 Nov 2022

Check out this nearly 10 hour video of preset playing they made while on a road trip! This was to showcase the new sounds added to Reason 9, which are still really great.

DaveyG

01 Dec 2022

Sounds are sounds are sounds. If they fit the song, use 'em. If they don't fit the song, modify the sounds or use different ones.
If a sounds is too thin, turn up the fat knob. If it sounds too hollow turn up the "fill 'er up" knob. If the drums stink, apply a clothes peg to one's nose. Simples. :thumbup:

Or you could just wait a couple of decades and then revel in your vast library of "vintage sounds".

miscend

01 Dec 2022

The popularity of synthwave shows old sounds never really go away. Even 90's style jungle is getting popular. The instrument samples in the FSB are good starting points for recreating 90's style sampler patches.

Rising Night Wave

01 Dec 2022

Yes. Ofcourse. All my Rising Night Wave discography is made of stock presets for stock REs (synths).
Only few songs (let say 10 songs out of 300 songs) has non-stock REs synths.

Reason all the way, man!
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

FrankJaeger

01 Dec 2022

Steedus wrote:
30 Nov 2022
Depends who you're trying to impress I suppose. I'm sure there are people out there who MUST have the latest content at all times. But genuinely, in music/audio - if it sounds good, it sounds good :thumbs_up:

That said, variety is also a factor, and after all these years, new pieces of gear/plugins/FX are ofcourse always welcome!
I'm slowly learning that there are, in general, no such thing as bad sounds if used creatively. Sound selection and context are important. Basically if a sound fits your song and elevates it then it did it's job.
joeyluck wrote:
30 Nov 2022
Check out this nearly 10 hour video of preset playing they made while on a road trip! This was to showcase the new sounds added to Reason 9, which are still really great.

I love Reason Studios' approach to marketing. That's a organic and authentic way to show off what you have to offer.
DaveyG wrote:
01 Dec 2022
Sounds are sounds are sounds. If they fit the song, use 'em. If they don't fit the song, modify the sounds or use different ones.
If a sounds is too thin, turn up the fat knob. If it sounds too hollow turn up the "fill 'er up" knob. If the drums stink, apply a clothes peg to one's nose. Simples. :thumbup:

Or you could just wait a couple of decades and then revel in your vast library of "vintage sounds".
This was way too funny..
Rising Night Wave wrote:
01 Dec 2022

Yes. Ofcourse. All my Rising Night Wave discography is made of stock presets for stock REs (synths).
Only few songs (let say 10 songs out of 300 songs) has non-stock REs synths.

Reason all the way, man!
I feel you on this sentiment. I've tried a handful of the major DAWs (Live, Logic, ProTools etc) yet I've always gravitated back to Reason. I cut my teeth on learning to make music with it starting out with Reason 5 and Record Duo up until now with Reason 11 suite. Reason is just too much fun.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

joeyluck

01 Dec 2022

Yeah and don't forget that every sound in Reason can also serve as a source for something new when you load it into Mimic or Grain.

Rising Night Wave

01 Dec 2022

joeyluck wrote:
01 Dec 2022
Yeah and don't forget that every sound in Reason can also serve as a source for something new when you load it into Mimic or Grain.
Also there are FX REs and you can simply modify by your self an existing stock preset/patch for stock synth REs.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

QVprod

01 Dec 2022

In a world where people are buying emulations of old synths… of course the stock stuff is still valid.plus the stock sounds have been updated a few times. I find that a lot of synths, VST, RE…etc… have a lot of similar sounding presets anyway. A lot of sounds aren’t really new per se, just that the fx applied make a large difference. Some of the sound packs I made for R+ are pretty much just that. Stock sounds creatively run through FX. You’d be surprised how great the results can be.

On the other hand though , the samples stuff is where Reason falls short a bit

EnochLight

01 Dec 2022

And if you're a Reason 12 user, don't forget the Favorite available in this post - it aggregates all of the new sound content that came in Reason 12, especially Combi that utilize some custom widgets! Get it here:
Attachments
New in Reason 12.zip
(5.49 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Last Alternative

01 Dec 2022

There’s some really cool presets for keys, bass, etc. but there’s also a ton of silly and way too weird and annoying sounds too like you’re clicking thru and every so often it’s so loud it could make your speakers EXPLODE! So I would say for my style it’s a lot to be desired but I just need to get Serum I guess. However, I was hoping by now that RS would be nice and include more synths in the upgrades and more modern and pleasing/usable presets. Time will tell..
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

FrankJaeger

02 Dec 2022

QVprod wrote:
01 Dec 2022

By "samples" do you mean like drumkit samples and the like, or the act of sampling itself? If it's the ladder, I have to disagree with you. Sampling in Reason is fun and I can chop up and flip a sample easily with the ability to make Rex loops built into Reason. No more Recycle.
Midniite Music

QVprod

02 Dec 2022

Last Alternative wrote:
01 Dec 2022
There’s some really cool presets for keys, bass, etc. but there’s also a ton of silly and way too weird and annoying sounds too like you’re clicking thru and every so often it’s so loud it could make your speakers EXPLODE! So I would say for my style it’s a lot to be desired but I just need to get Serum I guess. However, I was hoping by now that RS would be nice and include more synths in the upgrades and more modern and pleasing/usable presets. Time will tell..
What exactly are you looking for? Reason 12 has an updated Factory Soundbank, as did versions 9 and 10 with new synths.

QVprod

02 Dec 2022

FrankJaeger wrote:
02 Dec 2022
QVprod wrote:
01 Dec 2022

By "samples" do you mean like drumkit samples and the like, or the act of sampling itself? If it's the ladder, I have to disagree with you. Sampling in Reason is fun and I can chop up and flip a sample easily with the ability to make Rex loops built into Reason. No more Recycle.
There was a typo. I meant ‘sampled’ as in sampled instruments as we’re talking about sounds/presets. There’s some decent stuff but it’s the weakest point as far as stock sounds go.

Pingafuego

02 Dec 2022

EnochLight wrote:
01 Dec 2022
And if you're a Reason 12 user, don't forget the Favorite available in this post - it aggregates all of the new sound content that came in Reason 12, especially Combi that utilize some custom widgets! Get it here:
Hi, thanks, where should I drop this file?

EnochLight

02 Dec 2022

Pingafuego wrote:
02 Dec 2022
EnochLight wrote:
01 Dec 2022
Hi, thanks, where should I drop this file?
Favorites
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason
  • Windows: %APPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason
Attachments
New in Reason 12.zip
(5.49 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

robussc

02 Dec 2022

It's probably worth the effort to go through the sound banks and build a collection of favorites (similar to what EnochLight has done). There are definitely a ton of presets that don't appeal and just wading through a massive sound bank looking for just the right sound is not much fun and after a while there's a tendency to give up. I'd say that it's probably worth half a day to carefully audition the sounds and build up a collection of your actual favorites. I've done that for my personal song starter, but of course it's not an exhaustive list (and TBH there's more sounds in this DAW than I could ever use - and that's not even including UVI's Vintage Vault and Arturia's V collection.)

And thanks EnochLight, I'll check that set out.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2022

If you're willing to process the samples and create patches that suit your style, without a doubt.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the FSB, but it's quite easy to improve on them.

EnochLight

02 Dec 2022

robussc wrote:
02 Dec 2022
It's probably worth the effort to go through the sound banks and build a collection of favorites (similar to what EnochLight has done).
Just to clarify - that Favorites list aggregating all new content that came in Reason 12 was provided by Reason Studios - I didn't make it. I don't have the patience nor fortitude to go through all that effort! :lol:

crimsonwarlock

02 Dec 2022

EnochLight wrote:
02 Dec 2022
[*]Windows: %APPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason[/list]
I had to dig around on my harddisk, where it is under C:\Users\my-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

EnochLight

02 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
02 Dec 2022
EnochLight wrote:
02 Dec 2022
Windows: %APPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason
I had to dig around on my harddisk, where it is under C:\Users\my-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason
If you hit your Windows Key, and in the search box paste %APPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason - it should have taken you right to the exact location you need to be. But yeah, that location (as pasted) would lead you to:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason

crimsonwarlock

02 Dec 2022

EnochLight wrote:
02 Dec 2022
If you hit your Windows Key, and in the search box paste %APPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason - it should have taken you right to the exact location you need to be. But yeah, that location (as pasted) would lead you to:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason
Ha, I'm seriously rusty with windows, only running it for my DAW. Used Linux 24/7 for all my other work, for close to two decades now :puf_smile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

robussc

02 Dec 2022

EnochLight wrote:
02 Dec 2022
Just to clarify - that Favorites list aggregating all new content that came in Reason 12 was provided by Reason Studios - I didn't make it. I don't have the patience nor fortitude to go through all that effort! :lol:
Ah - then I take it back! :D
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

• Information